Calling all Warm Sleepers

gmartinez9554

FNG
Classified Approved
I will be heading to CO in early/mid September for an OTC archery elk hunt and need help with selecting a sleeping pad that wont have me overheating. We will be in the field up to 7 days and I am a warm sleeper and need help determining what sleeping pad I should get from an r-value perspective. What do yall recommend for my situation? I am planning on taking a 15deg down bag and likely a single wall tent with a nest.

Marble

WKR
For me, high r value pad that's comfortable. My sleeping bag cannot and should not be snug against you, but it also shouldn't be too big either.

In September it can be anything from low 40s to teens at night. I do not want to be cold. It is easier for me to open up my bag or tent to cool things off then it is to get warmer if needed.

Besides overall weight, comfort is next on the list for me. I want to sleep good at night and if that means a couple extra pounds or volume, then I'm OK with that.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
I’m kinda in the same boat. I use a quilt and my 0 degree quilt has kept me fine down to -15. I’m looking at a 30 degree quilt for bow season. I hate being hot when I sleep.

Moserkr

WKR
You can always vent or use your bag as a quilt to cool off. Ive used a 3 r-value pad for years now with a 20* bag from 0*-60*. Id still consider the warmest/lightest if I were to buy again - xtherm. Cooling off is easy, warming up is not with the wrong gear. I have slept on top of my sleeping bag before to stay cool enough.

jmez

WKR
The pad isn't going to make as much difference as the bag. Plan on using a 15 degree bag as a quilt pulled halfway down if you are a warm sleeper.

I’d go with an R value of 1-2. The Sea to Summit XT Air R value is 1.2. That’s plenty for me. Also, a 15° might be warmer than necessary for you. I use a 30° through September in Wyoming and have made do with it in the teens in October. I disagree with the above statement made by jmez. The pad will make a big difference. Research that and come to your own conclusion. I do agree with him about using the bag as a quilt if it’s too warm though.

Look up closest town that you will be staying and then look at the historical temperature (plus weather) ranges for when you will be hunting. Then subtract 3* F for each 1000 foot elevation that you expect to be camping at. Adjust as need based upon the weather forecast up to and including the day you are heading out.

With the exception of when it is AZ hot, I always grab my XTherm. I will then grab the appropriate bag for the anticipated conditions.

It is a lot easier to unzip a bag to cool off a bit than to scrounge for stuff to hopefully warm up.

Look up closest town that you will be staying and then look at the historical temperature (plus weather) ranges for when you will be hunting. Then subtract 3* F for each 1000 foot elevation that you expect to be camping at. Adjust as need based upon the weather forecast up to and including the day you are heading out.
I use the same method but -3.5° per 1,000’. Close enough. Like the OP I sleep warm so I bring my 30° bag if I think it could get as low as 20° and my 20° down to 10°.

mlgc20

WKR
I’ve spent a week in Wyoming in September in 8 of the past 10 years. I’ve never taken more than a 30 degree quilt and a pad with 3.2 R-value. That’s been sufficient for me. I have a 2.0 UL pad that I will use in Wyoming in August. And I could get away with that in September in most cases. But, I usually opt for the 3.2 pad in September just to be safe.

I tend to sleep warm myself, but after an unexpected cold night a couple years ago that was absolutely miserable I tend to prepare for the worst and usually end up using my bag as a blanket. The higher r value lightweight pads are pretty negligible in weight unless you’re really counting grams and could make the difference if temps aren’t as expected. Not something I’d try to cut a few ounces on anymore myself. I’ve been impressed with the packed size, weight and warmth of the nebo longbow pad. It is short for me since I’m 6’4” but I usually use my little foam glassing pad under my foot area to be able to save some space and weight with pads which also worked well with this one.