calling bears

TheGDog

WKR
Partner got a crack at one yesterday that followed his trail right up to where he was having lunch. Said he shook so badly he couldn’t keep steady. clean miss. Makes me think of trying a scent drag..

Hrmm... in that case... why not try cooking you up a pound of some AppleWood Bacon! Pull out that ol' ZipLoc... start eating it on your way in to the spot you'll eventually go to. Once you're kinda close enough to the spot. Then keep your eyes peeled at any direction the wind blows toward.

redbarn

FNG
Hrmm... in that case... why not try cooking you up a pound of some AppleWood Bacon! Pull out that ol' ZipLoc... start eating it on your way in to the spot you'll eventually go to. Once you're kinda close enough to the spot. Then keep your eyes peeled at any direction the wind blows toward.
I took my rifle for a walk the first days of September and saw 2 small bears. My friend got a nice one that dressed at 268 pounds. Probably a 310 pound NH bear. Lots of acorns this year but the stomach was all greenery. Lots of fat- healthy bear.

Attachments

• NH 2020 Bear.JPG
    NH 2020 Bear.JPG
    496 KB · Views: 24

We’ve been doing this all wrong :ROFLMAO: that can be next years strategy.

TheGDog

WKR
We’ve been doing this all wrong :ROFLMAO: that can be next years strategy.
The Pool Guy was telling his Dad told him that's what they did. Eat the Bacon on a nice long slow walk in. Find your sit.... continue eatin' it for a bit after arriving as well. The idea being then they're following YOU and that delicious aroma we all know and love so well!

Plus it's easy to smear some congealed bacon grease up high on the trunk of a tree. So it can catch wind. During off season of course, just to capture trailcam pics, wink-wink.

I have had decent luck calling in bears just using my mouth. The noise winds up sounding like a mix between a mouse squeak and rabbit distress. I have called in two in two years, having seen them both before I started calling. One took 5 minutes to work its way to about 8 yards from me and the other, bigger bear took almost an hour to come in and investigate the commotion. I am not doing anything special other than being in the right place at the right time, so just keep at it and you'll eventually call one in!

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
With pay phones being a thing of the past and smart phones being a bit expensive for bears it gets harder and harder to call them.

TheGDog

WKR
With pay phones being a thing of the past and smart phones being a bit expensive for bears it gets harder and harder to call them.
Hehe, good one!

But I know right? It's like they yanked all the payphones very rapidly... almost as if they were forcing people to have to... oh I dunno... buy an expensive cellphone and service plan... for their kid, eh? You KNOW the higher-ups in the telecoms were in a meeting when one of them was all "Eureka! I've got it!!"