Calling coons?

scho0558

FNG
Was along once for a drive around and occasional deployment of an ecaller w boar fighting sounds. Didnt see it work but apparently it can bring them in on a full charge.

WestexSBK

Lil-Rokslider
We call in the occasional coon when calling at night. 9 times out of 10 they have responded to Foxpros “platinum fox” and “Juvenile Red Fox”. Other times they will come to rabbit distresses

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
We used to do it all the time when they were worth something. Not much to it. We called them out of holes in trees and out of brush piles. Find a tree with a hole in it, set the caller on opposite side of hole so that the coon has to come out and around the tree to see what’s going on.

If you set it where they can see the caller from the hole most times they will just poke there heads out to see what’s going on but won’t come out far enough for a shot and recovery. Some times they come flying out madder than a hornet and head right for the caller but most times they just come out and check things out from an elevated position so be ready to shoot when the shot presents itself.

Never shoot a coon that doesn’t come all the way out of a the hole. If they get back in the den hole and die that den is ruined for the season. If you kill and recover it another coon will move in allowing more opportunities.

We always started with boar coon fight, then switch to baby coon distress, then chicken distress. Play each call 2-3 min before switching. Most times you will know if there’s a coon in the hole within the first minute of turning the caller on because they will poke their head out. If they don’t come out within ten minutes We move on and come back another day.

If one comes out and you kill it keep the caller going because it’s not uncommon to have multiple coons sharing the same hole. Also keep your eyes and ears open because there will be other coons within hearing distance of the hole you are calling and they will come out of nowhere. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
Man it's an absolute blast! The only tip is finding the dens, here in SE MN they den in rocks alot, if you have snow on the ground and d the best way I have found is find a trail and follow.it to the den then call, on a warm day this time of the year I have done very well, coon Fight sounds have worked best for me. But finding active dens is really the most important thing and get close to them (20 yards)

Dead Coyote

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of good info there. I have found calling in warmer winter days works the best. My nephew has taken close to 250 this season so far. Old houses and barns are good spots too.

jmez

WKR
Do it all the time. I use a Black and Tan. Just turn him loose and listen.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

litewings

FNG
Just tried it the first time this year. Worked incredible. 3 come a running on the first set. 200 yards from my house. Used a Primos Alpha Dog with juvenile coon distress.

Pursuer

Lil-Rokslider
Never went out targeting coons but have had them come into distress calls while coyote hunting. Called in a few skunks too..that’ll ruin a good day

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
We have a good time calling at night (if legal in your state). I do a little scouting and find their den tree and once night falls we go and dont even have to get out of the pickup. We place the caller on the roof and turn on the raccoon boar brawl. One person has the spot light and hits it every once in awhile to find eyes. Once you have one coming (a lot of times you can hear them coming) count down with your lighter and hit them in the face with the light followed by your shot. Turn out the light once the coon is down and continue to play the brawl. More will probably be coming, the shot doesnt seem to fuss them much once they are ready to fight with the call. As some people say "Things get western" It's a good time plus your gettin some turkey nest raiders out of the area. Win win.

tdot

WKR
"Here kitty, kitty, kitty....." and then put out cat food.

Seems to work for my neighbor.

Mykonos

FNG
It’s a blast. Wish I would have started it sooner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk