Calling early season Colorado

My son and I will be hunting Colorado the first 10 days of archery elk. Will the elk be calling or answering to calls that early? If so should we be bugiling or cow calling or both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son and I will be hunting Colorado the first 10 days of archery elk. Will the elk be calling or answering to calls that early? If so should we be bugiling or cow calling or both?

Definitely give the 7th Episode of the ElkNut Series on the Got Game University podcast a listen. The ElkNut, Paul Medel, goes into good detail about hunting early season elk.

In my experience the bulls are still working through the pecking order in early season and not so wound up about cows at this point, as none are in estrus yet. So advertising bugles and sequences are going to be a solid bet. I’m a big fan of the ElkNut mobile app. If you don’t have it already, you’re going to want to pick that up ASAP.

tdhanses

WKR
My suggestion, if asking at this point plan on not calling, you’ll do more damage then good. Start practicing and understanding what the elk are saying and then you’ll know what to do for each season/situation or have a good idea. If you just go out there calling, cow or bull don’t be shocked if you see nothing or see the elk running off.

Bcorn

FNG
Maybe try some cold calling setups and if you do don't get in a hurry always sit for 45 minutes or so . In these scenarios and early season they will come in silent especially on Otc units. Remember elk are noisy so make some noise and play the wind right ,try to sound like a few different elk when calling. You probably won't call in any 350 bulls this way but you might get a rag horn to come and try to join the party. Good luck and have fun.

You will increase your odds if you can call. That I have know doubt about. 2nd that on getting Paul's material. It will allow you to expand your horizons, and become a well rounded elk killer!

ElkNut1

WKR
Lear the Slow Play Sequence well & you two will do well! There's nothing better. Practice this Tactic with your Son beforehand & work out any kinks. This is an elk killer! It can be found in the ElkNut Mobile App so you can have it with you on your hunt to help refresh how & when to use it if needed! I've also shared it here in the past, a Search could relocate it! Good luck!

ElkNut/Paul

OP
F
Lear the Slow Play Sequence well & you two will do well! There's nothing better. Practice this Tactic with your Son beforehand & work out any kinks. This is an elk killer! It can be found in the ElkNut Mobile App so you can have it with you on your hunt to help refresh how & when to use it if needed! I've also shared it here in the past, a Search could relocate it! Good luck!

ElkNut/Paul

Thanks for the info. I already have your app and it has helped with my calling.

Beendare

WKR
I have been hunting up high 12,000ft early and had elk in full blown rutting activity Aug 28th before. I’m talking 100+ bugles, bulls with harems, and satellites pushed out. You will just have to feel your area out when you go and what it calls for.
I've seen that ^ too. Mostly in backcountry areas and some limited tag hunts...not so much in high pressure CO spots. Then again I've been in OTC areas early when it was warm and there was little elk activity with no bulging- which makes it tough, calling wise....but that doesn't mean you can't fall back on your hunting skills.

Even if they sound off once- at least you know where they are.....

ElkNut/Paul

Paul, I've been going through the app the past few weeks. Full of awesome info! But I know you reference the Slow Play Sequence numerous times on this forum and podcasts, but I don't see a sequence titled Slow Play. What am I missing?