Calling Hogs

wyosteve

WKR
Heading to Texas again in 10 days to hunt hogs. Wondering if anyone had tried calling them. If so, what sounds, tactics work best? I picked up an electronic caller w/ 5 sounds and a hand squealer to try. I'll report back on results if no one else has tried it.

SirFer

FNG
I've used a phone app and a hand squealer with no success here in Florida but I admittedly haven't spent enough time using either to give a fair review. I see guys using them here in Florida and pulling hogs in but it seems like they're typically on private land with very little pressure compared to the heavy pressure public land I'm on. I'd like to try it at night when they're up and moving and more likely to come running. Most of the time in the day I'm finding them bedded down in thick swamp and there's not much that will make them leave that.

OP
W

wyosteve

WKR
Thanks for the insight. We’re on private land and can hunt at night. My plan is to walk ranch roads in the a. m. and try calling but will try after dark from the blind as well.

Personally I think you need to look at this as you would trying to call in any animal. Why should they come in to your call, should be your primary question. What is the hand squealer going to imitate; I presume a pig being attacked. So what will pigs reaction be? They will simply move away, as it is safer, rather than heading into danger. For pigs to react to that call, in the manner you want them to, they would have to be on top of you already. Think about it like calling elk, if you rip a challenge call and are not in immediate proximity of the bull you are working, he has no need to move into a situation that jeopardizes his control over his girls. The situation is pretty close to the same with the squealer.

If you want to get close to elk, you start by utilizing calls that put them at ease; on your list of 5, you have only one call that is good at that. It is a content feeding call, with social grunts thrown in. Use this one, even if they bust you (not 100%), they are still likely to go back to feeding, assuming they were feeding.

You likely have a piglets feeding craze on that call, I would stay away from it, as mature pigs are not likely to come into a sounder of piglets. Same for the boars fighting, it will only chase other pigs away.

In short, that content feeding will put pigs at ease to the point of them continuing with what their routine was. If that was coming in your direction, then they are likely to do just that. It will also help in you moving in on them, if you don't forget everything else.

But if you want to bring pigs in, from my experience there is only one tried and true method, use their noses to bring them in, i.e., bait them. Unhusked peanuts works very well, salted or unsalted, whichever you prefer. Spread them out and let the wind do the work. If they hold up, use that content feeding call, and sit back, but ready for them. Or just sit off a known regularly utilized trail, down wind and wait.

Save the hand squealer for predators.

Best of luck!

Beendare

WKR
A buddy used to guide a ranch in Norcal....and he can squeal and grunt them in if they are close by.

There are a few different strategies;

Fighting boars

Mating sounds

Young piglets

All^ depending on what you want to come in. I've never heard him use distress sounds like we do on Javi's that works so well...I don't know why that wouldn't work too.

Be careful though, some of those hogs will come charging in looking for a fight just like those Javi's do....you have to hold perfectly still.

____

Last edited:
OP
W

wyosteve

WKR
Thanks for all the great insight. Makes sense to analogize to calling elk. I had heard that a piglet in distress call could bring the mamas in, but the content feeding should be less intimidating to them. I’ll report back on my success or lack thereof!

MeatBuck

WKR
Personally I think you need to look at this as you would trying to call in any animal. Why should they come in to your call, should be your primary question. What is the hand squealer going to imitate; I presume a pig being attacked. So what will pigs reaction be? They will simply move away, as it is safer, rather than heading into danger. For pigs to react to that call, in the manner you want them to, they would have to be on top of you already. Think about it like calling elk, if you rip a challenge call and are not in immediate proximity of the bull you are working, he has no need to move into a situation that jeopardizes his control over his girls. The situation is pretty close to the same with the squealer.

If you want to get close to elk, you start by utilizing calls that put them at ease; on your list of 5, you have only one call that is good at that. It is a content feeding call, with social grunts thrown in. Use this one, even if they bust you (not 100%), they are still likely to go back to feeding, assuming they were feeding.

You likely have a piglets feeding craze on that call, I would stay away from it, as mature pigs are not likely to come into a sounder of piglets. Same for the boars fighting, it will only chase other pigs away.

In short, that content feeding will put pigs at ease to the point of them continuing with what their routine was. If that was coming in your direction, then they are likely to do just that. It will also help in you moving in on them, if you don't forget everything else.

But if you want to bring pigs in, from my experience there is only one tried and true method, use their noses to bring them in, i.e., bait them. Unhusked peanuts works very well, salted or unsalted, whichever you prefer. Spread them out and let the wind do the work. If they hold up, use that content feeding call, and sit back, but ready for them. Or just sit off a known regularly utilized trail, down wind and wait.

Save the hand squealer for predators.

Best of luck!
This may change your views on the subject.

Put a few kernels of corn in a tin can and shake it round and round for about 15 seconds.
This is what I'd try.

Best way to kill lots of hogs is to corn roads. Go drink a few beers. Then come back and head into the wind with a thermal and blast them.

chefcreed

FNG
Think your trip had come and maybe gone. Any luck calling? I was going to add that there’s an App by Convergent Hunting Solutions called Hog Pro that has some good call sounds on it. The creator is Glen Guess and he’s on YouTube calling them up and shooting a bunch. I’ve called them just playing it on my phone. Came in once and hung up close in woods but never came out. It sounded like they were answering though, pretty cool.

At night grunting when moving in a field works to calm them down. Squealing piglet assuming they haven't heard gunshots can bring them in. I have never had fighting boar sounds work yet. At night I spend more time listening than calling by far. Not sure if you're doing day or night hunt but based on the time of year I would assume you are doing deer as well so daytime. It's always a good idea to call the warden and let them know you're going to hunt at night when you are out here.

wytx

WKR
wyosteve, hope your hunt went or is going well.

All types of hog calls will bring them in, have called in big boars using the fighting boars call and sows using the piglet distress.
Your smell rather than calling will send them running. However they must be close to hear your calls and come in.
If you're hunting any terrain, use your nose to find them. We like to hit the draws with wind in our face, you'll smell those pigs way before you see or hear them.

Looking forward to your update.

OP
W

wyosteve

WKR
Got back yesterday. Had a successful hunt and brought 9 hogs home. As far as calling, I tried it several times and can't say it helped or hurt. First night, used the feeding sound and piglets sound. A nice boar came in about 30 mins. after I called, but can't say if he responded to the call or just coincidence. Used the feeding sound on a herd in a wheat field and while it didn't bring them in, it also didn't scare them away. My conclusion is that it is like someone said with any calling-sometimes if works and sometimes it doesn't. Will give it a try again next year. Thanks for all the tips and insight. Always amazes me how they can take a hit and keep kicking for a while.