Calling in other hunters: etiquette?

While elk hunting over the last week or so, my buddy and I called in 2 sets of hunters on public land. In both cases, the hunters did not see us and we had to whistle and say "hey" so they knew they were approaching us. After they saw us, in both cases we made an attempt to go talk to them and both groups immediately turned away and booked it out of there.

Is this normal elk hunter behavior? Were they trying to beat us to another spot? Were they embarrassed that we called them in? I've never called in other hunters while elk hunting so I'm not sure what the norm is. Seems to me it would have been beneficial to them and us if we could have spoken briefly about each of our plans for the day so we didn't mess each other up.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Happened to us as well, we were calling in a bull and a guy literally came between us and the bull and tried to set up, not sure how the bull knew he was there but spooked him. Then a couple days later we me an older gentleman in Tempe trail, we talked about our plans so we weren’t ruining each others evenings. We are talking to this bull, ice was coming right towards us, then suddenly he turns and runs back to cover, sounded like a bulldozer going they the woods. Anyways this guy comes out right where the bull was when he took off, we thought maybe he shot him? Anyways we walk over by him to see if he had shot something, We told him where we were going to be and if he needed help come get us. He said he was just going for a walk, he never heard any bugles I guess. Oh well he was a nice old boy hunting alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been on both sides of this quite a few times. I personally wave, if the hunter seems like they want to talk, I have walked over but typically, your both quite bummed and want to get out of each other’s way. It would be best to game plan for a minute, I’m certainly guilty of turning and quickly sneaking away as to not accidentally be intercepting their setup, bumping an animal they were working.

Hooverfb

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been on both sides of this quite a few times. I personally wave, if the hunter seems like they want to talk, I have walked over but typically, your both quite bummed and want to get out of each other’s way. It would be best to game plan for a minute, I’m certainly guilty of turning and quickly sneaking away as to not accidentally be intercepting their setup, bumping an animal they were working.
That's how I've treated it while mule deer hunting if someone pops up in a similar area as me. Just make myself clearly visible, and if close enough make an attempt to talk, and if it's the other way around I'll book it usually unless I can tell they want to talk.

HDwild

WKR

Just want to let you know that you have the best screen name on Rokslide.

Poser

WKR
It’s situational. You can usually tell if someone wants to chat, but sometimes you just want to take advantage of the window of time you have, especially if it’s prime time, and out yourself in a potentially productive location.

marktole

WKR
I got called in off of a ridge this year. Dropped about 500 feet of elevation to get into the bottom to chase this bugle.

Realized it was a hunter after I had closed the gap and bugled to see where the bull was at. Hunter bugled back with his reed in upside down. I sat down and called them the rest of the way in since they pulled me off that damn ridge.

We talked for a few minutes and then one of them said "well...enjoy your hike back up" with a bit of a "haha gotcha" kind of smile. Luckily I just found a cow trail and walked back to the road, and then back to camp. Much easier than the way we came.

I agree that it's situational. One of the guys I called in/got called in by was talkative, the other one just wanted to bail ASAP.

Most definitely situational. I don't mind talking with someone if they want to chat . I've been called in myself more than once. If I see them before they see me, I'll try to sneak back out.

What about when you hear a Primos Pack bugle or something below you so you let loose with a challenge bugle to the Mid-Westies below you to get them all excited? Then simply drift off as they try and climb up to you with the thermals at their backs?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I called in my fair share of hunters this year that’s for sure. I briefly thought about becoming a spot n stalk or tree stand hunter after the season was over. Then i decided to start an elk savings fund right away. If I don’t draw a tag, I’m buying a LO tag where the elk are not pressured into shutting up, or where they go hide when they are pressured into shutting up. 🏹🏹🏹

Last year my buddy called in an outfitter and his client. We thought he/they was a young bull but knew it was hunters after he blew the Primos Hyper Lip. We talked to them for a bit. The outfitter was in disbelief that there wasn't an elk there, or he was putting on a show for his client.

"Ya but then he bugled back."

"That was me."

"Ya but then he ran off."

"I rolled a rock down the hill."

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
I called in my fair share of hunters this year that’s for sure. I briefly thought about becoming a spot n stalk or tree stand hunter after the season was over. Then i decided to start an elk savings fund right away. If I don’t draw a tag, I’m buying a LO tag where the elk are not pressured into shutting up, or where they go hide when they are pressured into shutting up. 🏹🏹🏹

This, plus focusing on limited draw units with low tag numbers if you can.

This, plus focusing on limited draw units with low tag numbers if you can.

Oh make no mistake about it, I put in for limited draw units every year in NM and CO. It’s been a few years since I hunted the unit I hunted this year in CO. For an otc unit, IMO it used to be great! But the shear # of hunters this year was extraordinary.

I’m not exaggerating when I say this. If you could park a truck there, there was a truck parked there. If you could park a UTV or ATV there, there was a UTV or ATV parked there. If you could park a motor home, 5th wheel or travel trailer there, there was a motor home, 5th wheel or travel trailer parked there. The elk trails were quickly turned into people trails. I hope it was a 1 year phenom for the sake of the locals who depend on elk meat in this economically depressed part of Colorado. There has always been a decent amount of pressure, but nothing like I saw this year. The last time I hunted it was 2016 so I’m not sure if it has been like this since then. I know in 2016 it wasn’t like this. The worse part of ‘16 was the influx of beetle kill

stonewall

WKR
i've called in other hunters a few times. the worst was in new mexico...

my buddy and I were set up on a bull. I kept hearing calf calls behind me, and I just couldn't understand why this calf would be coming in from downwind...I kept looking for either a hunter or a calf. i see the hunter and waive to him. he shakes his head in disgust, loops around me and continues to try calling the same bull. eventually he switched from calf calls to yelling as loud as he could. we were mad, but what can you do, so we went elsewhere. I shot my bull in that general area the next day

I'll talk to others if they'll talk to me

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
Oh make no mistake about it, I put in for limited draw units every year in NM and CO. It’s been a few years since I hunted the unit I hunted this year in CO. For an otc unit, IMO it used to be great! But the shear # of hunters this year was extraordinary.

I’m not exaggerating when I say this. If you could park a truck there, there was a truck parked there. If you could park a UTV or ATV there, there was a UTV or ATV parked there. If you could park a motor home, 5th wheel or travel trailer there, there was a motor home, 5th wheel or travel trailer parked there. The elk trails were quickly turned into people trails. I hope it was a 1 year phenom for the sake of the locals who depend on elk meat in this economically depressed part of Colorado. There has always been a decent amount of pressure, but nothing like I saw this year. The last time I hunted it was 2016 so I’m not sure if it has been like this since then. I know in 2016 it wasn’t like this. The worse part of ‘16 was the influx of beetle kill

I do not doubt that at all. I had an early rifle deer tag that started right after an OTC archery season. I heard a TON of bugling activity down low on private. I did not see ANY fresh elk sign anywhere between 9000-12000 of elevation. Tons of moose activity, but zero elk. Figured the hoards of OTC hunters had everything on private within hours of the season opening...

Rob5589

WKR
If I called in another hunter, it would be confirmation that he doesn't know what an elk sounds like either :LOL:

I've run into guys out hunting. I'm friendly and try to shoot the bull with them and share experiences, if they are willing. I just like to talk about hunting with like minded people.

CB4

WKR
Hunted the same area the last two years. Last year my buddy and I called in a father and son. This years 400 yards away they called us in. It was nice to see the same people one year apart. I personally don't mind running into other hunters. Nice to chat to someone new after a few days and discuss what their plans are. We are all going after the same thing.

We've called in several guys over the years, I think all but one of them stopped and talked for a minute, the one guy that didn't just waved and rolled on down in the mountain.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrAP