Calling Olympus Users!

archer85

FNG
I'm trying to make a decision on a mirrorless camera and looking for some real world input from guys or gals that have used Olympus cameras specifically for video in the field. Experiences, good, bad or any helpful info would be great. I was leaning towards the Sony a6600, but after talking with Joel he pointed out the m5 mkiii. I'd like to have the ability to film in 120fps and also want to have a headphone jack to monitor audio. I believe I'd have to bump up to the m1 mkii to get the headphone jack, but from what I read I don't believe that has the 120fps option. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I like the idea of the weather sealing, but I would have an external mic on the camera and also would use a wireless mic as well, so I really couldn't have the setup out in any kind of serious conditions anyway.

I have been reading and watching reviews ever since Joel mentioned the Olympus cameras and every one seemed to come up with the same conclusion that these cameras aren't the best option for video, low light or tracking subjects in AF. Are these reviews biased to the other brands? Is the Olympus platform just being pushed towards the hunter because of the weather proofing? Any input is helpful!

Spoke with Olympus and the slow motion is an issue. Fuji is strong and of course Sony. As I said you just need to be careful with the lens on the Sony 6600 as the body is weatherproof but the lens is not.
The Sony kits with the 18-135 are due in Thursday or Friday. I have the optech rain guard for the lens for those rainy days.
Call me when you have time

Wapiti1

WKR
The simple answer is that Olympus cameras do fine at video, but aren't targeted at it. They have concentrated more effort on stills users. For that reason, I don't think they have a body that checks all of the boxes for video. The Em1-mk3 is pretty close, though. It does do 120fps at 1080P.

The strong points, to me, on the Oly are the size, weather sealing (dust is the enemy), build quality of most everything they make, and stabilization system. Focus tracking is good and I've not had issues with it, but shoot mostly stills. I think the low light comments are not relevant in the real world. For all of the nits picked, you'll still get the shot once you learn the camera.

In all honesty, would you know if video was shot on an Oly, a Sony or a Fuji just by looking.

Reality is that they will all work, and all produce great video. The comments you see online tend to be nitpicks. All of the options are that good these days.

Jeremy

Stalker69

WKR
I know what you mean, I have been looking at cameras for a very long time. And you read or watch the reviews on them and find there are as many bad reviews as good. If not more bad. I pretty much gave up on them. Video, with great zoom is what I am ( was) looking for in one, don’t care about stills necessarily. Watching this post, as I do with most.

OP
archer85

archer85

FNG
I called Joel and have the Sony on order. Like I said above, I'm going to be using external mics on the camera and I have to watch what kind of weather I have them out in anyway. The a6600 body checked my boxes with the jacks for external mic and headphones. I understand exactly what Wapiti1 is saying. You start looking into anything and it's back and forth with people loyal to certain brands and then bashing others. It's hard to sort through it all especially when you're sending decent money, you want to make the best decision. In the end this camera is going to be lightyears ahead of what I have been using for the last 10 years! lol

Wapiti1

WKR
I called Joel and have the Sony on order. Like I said above, I'm going to be using external mics on the camera and I have to watch what kind of weather I have them out in anyway. The a6600 body checked my boxes with the jacks for external mic and headphones. I understand exactly what Wapiti1 is saying. You start looking into anything and it's back and forth with people loyal to certain brands and then bashing others. It's hard to sort through it all especially when you're sending decent money, you want to make the best decision. In the end this camera is going to be lightyears ahead of what I have been using for the last 10 years! lol
Rain is easy to deal with. Ziplock bags, rubber bands and/or dry bags with strategic holes cut in them will keep you shooting in a downpour. Where sealing is important, IMO is keeping out dust. I've had lenses lock up from dust, and had to go through photo after photo removing dust spots. Thankfully they protect sensors better these days, but you still don't want dust in the body.

Have fun and enjoy the rabbit hole.

Jeremy

Can't comment on video at all, because I really don't do video lol. I Like my EMD 5 mkII. I have a 25 mm pro lens for if takes fantastic pictures with it. Great for family, landscape and grip & grins. Its not that I don't like video I just don't ever seem to have a camera rolling to do it. To busy hunting, hiking or in the moment!

Picture quality has been good and the construction is rugged!

I make a lot of videos and my primary camera is an OMD EM1 Mkii. I either film in FHD @ 60fps, or 4K @ 25fps, depending on whether or not I think I want to mess with zooming into the picture, or doing some slow motion stuff.

I don't have much else to say besides I love Olympus cameras. My family has been using them for a long time. I'm satisfied with the quality of the footage my camera gets. I pair it up with a Gopro to get a few other interesting shots I otherwise wouldn't.