Calling out all Alaska residents to support RHAK

OP
AK Troutbum
So if RHAK can get the guide requirement repealed what's the plan to keep everyone from down south swarming the sheep mountains? Draw tags? Honest question and my biggest concern if it's repealed. Seems like APHA and RHAK are both working hard to promote non-resident hunting.
I don't necessarily expect RHAK to get the guide requirement repealed, but if it were, I think that having a limited # of draw only permits for non-residents for particular species, is not unreasonable. I don't believe that RHAK is working hard to promote non-resident hunting and I don't think that their stance in regards to the guide requirements is an example of that.

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
I don't necessarily expect RHAK to get the guide requirement repealed, but if it were, I think that having a limited # of draw only permits for non-residents for particular species, is not unreasonable. I don't believe that RHAK is working hard to promote non-resident hunting and I don't think that their stance in regards to the guide requirements is an example of that.
I agree that a very limited amount of non res sheep tags wouldn't be a terrible thing. It would give a normal dude from the lesser 48 a chance at doing a cool hunt. Of course a dude could also make a real commitment and move here and sheep hunt every year. Hell they could even move to Glennallen and be able to hunt big sheep where very few can. Guess it's just how bad you want something.

As for RHAK I have no opinion one way or the other at this point and I should/will do some more research. This thread is the most exposure I've had to them and I've learned that they want non res sheep tags and non res grizz tags. Oh and they support sheep spotting during the season. I need to do some digging to see what they're proposing to help resident hunters because the idea behind the group seems good. But sometimes good ideas hide even greater agenda's.

I agree that a very limited amount of non res sheep tags wouldn't be a terrible thing. It would give a normal dude from the lesser 48 a chance at doing a cool hunt. Of course a dude could also make a real commitment and move here and sheep hunt every year. Hell they could even move to Glennallen and be able to hunt big sheep where very few can. Guess it's just how bad you want something.

As for RHAK I have no opinion one way or the other at this point and I should/will do some more research. This thread is the most exposure I've had to them and I've learned that they want non res sheep tags and non res grizz tags. Oh and they support sheep spotting during the season. I need to do some digging to see what they're proposing to help resident hunters because the idea behind the group seems good. But sometimes good ideas hide even greater agenda's.
What other avenue is there to counter the guiding industry controlling the Board of Game and getting preference over resident hunters?

What other avenue is there to counter the guiding industry controlling the Board of Game and getting preference over resident hunters?
There should be a question in the governor debate along the lines of if elected will they will select BOG (and BOF) members favoring a resident sport, personal use, and subsistence preference or a commercial use preference. And it has to be part of the rapid fire 3 word response portion of the debate so they can't give a politician answer.

I would suspect the answer would always be in favor of residents. And when it comes time for them to appoint board members and their actions from lobbyist money are speaking louder than their words during the debate, at least we will have them on record to remind them of what they told their voting pool.

Last edited: