Calling to herd bulls

Is it a good idea to call to elk during September, specifically targeting big bulls? I know it can be effective on the satellites but all of the guys I know who are consistently killing large bulls in otc units are not calling at all. Either spot and stalk or following the herd until it beds and slipping in.

It is much more simple, and much more complicated than you nake it out to be. If you are going to call, you need strategy. You need to k ow what you are saying to the other elk, why you say certain things, and not other things. You need to have a really good idea of how the elk will react to whatvyouvarecsaying and why.

Laramie

WKR
Is it a good idea to call to elk during September, specifically targeting big bulls? I know it can be effective on the satellites but all of the guys I know who are consistently killing large bulls in otc units are not calling at all. Either spot and stalk or following the herd until it beds and slipping in.
If you know what you are doing yes, if you do not, it's a terrible idea.

Geewhiz

WKR
Slip in quiet and feel him out. Once you’re picking up on his vibes and if he’s in he right mood it can be incredibly effective to be big and bold about your calling. However, those are what we call primos moments and they are few and far between.

Play it safe and don’t would be my advise.

IdahoElk

WKR
Here you go, Joel explains it better than I can and this method flat out works.

As the Elknut once told me “there’s more than 1 way to skin an elk” Or “not all elk encounters are created equal” or “what works on one bull, may not on the next one” . We just need to figure it out when we have those opportunities. Having herd bulls on the brain is awesome in the off season ain’t it!

cnelk

WKR
There are areas where a 4 yr old 270” bull is a herd bull.

Gonna call to him different?

bozeman

WKR
@IdahoElk do u know what bugle tube that is? I have a big ‘wiffle ball bay’ tube and thought about cutting it down.

Any thoughts on a smaller bugle tube?

IdahoElk

WKR
@IdahoElk do u know what bugle tube that is? I have a big ‘wiffle ball bay’ tube and thought about cutting it down.

I have no idea what he is using but I was lucky enough to be in an almost one on one class with him about 10yrs ago and it looked like your standard big mouth tube that was cut down.
hQPwTkg.jpg

I made these tubes in the 90's that have called lots and lots of bulls and are different from anything on the market, Pay for shipping and I'll send you one with extra tube so you can custom cut it to whatever size you want. I've experiment with different lengths and the size shown is what I feel works best for me.

Wrench

WKR

Glen berry makes them....he's my kids neighbor. Anyone who has a chance to stop by and check out their place should. Glen has more than a couple stud bulls on the wall.

Huntnnw

WKR

this! there's a big difference hunting high pressure areas where the age class rarely gets any age to the herd bulls. Then going to hunt a permit area where every bull that has cows is 320+ and satellite's are bigger than the bulls with cows where you hunt high pressure elk.

Rarely ever for myself will just a cow call pull a bull into archery range if he has cows. Most success for me is to get under a 100 in heavy cover and challenge mature bulls.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

Nope. I never know what the bull actually is until he's laying on the ground in front of me. But I don't go into it sounding small......unless I want to kill a small bull. I go in big and small bulls generally don't reply. They might sneak in silently, but they generally keep their mouth's shut when I'm prospecting. So when I get a good response, he's generally a herd caliber bull for the unit. I shot a young 270'ish bull a couple years ago that went absolutely nuts when I bugled. At that point he could have been a 370" just as well as a 270" from my experience. But I knew immediately just from his attitude that given a shot, I was taking him.

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
It is much more simple, and much more complicated than you nake it out to be. If you are going to call, you need strategy. You need to k ow what you are saying to the other elk, why you say certain things, and not other things. You need to have a really good idea of how the elk will react to whatvyouvarecsaying and why.
I barrly learn to speak englis, I wil stik to spot n stalk

As the Elknut once told me “there’s more than 1 way to skin an elk” Or “not all elk encounters are created equal” or “what works on one bull, may not on the next one” . We just need to figure it out when we have those opportunities. Having herd bulls on the brain is awesome in the off season ain’t it!
you are right, and that's exactly why calling bulls is so fun, feeling him out, adapting your calling for that bull right now, and doing it quick and on the fly, it's fun when they come in, eyes squinted, zero hesitation and are looking right through you.... 100% committed. every bull is a little different (or even the same bull a different day) and every scenario is different..... also, not trying to call a bull in the wrong scenario.... if they are feeding through open ground, feeding towards timber, be patient until there is more cover, and that bull will be easier to get in your lap...... the fluid dynamic strategy