Calorie counting that counts

DeepMauka

Lil-Rokslider
I have been meaning to create a thread (different from this one) on proper fueling to optimize your body's performance. This applies equally to professional athletes as it does hunters in the backcountry. As the saying goes, your not going to put 87 grade fuel in a Ferrari and expect it to run like it was intended. Sure it will get from point a to point b with 87 grade, but put some racing fuel in the sucker and you will see a major difference. The same goes for what we eat and put in our body. God built our body to be a well tuned working machine, but with the wrong fuel, it cannot work as well as intended.

I read lots of threads on here about calorie counting and what foods to bring in. Some excellent sources of energy, and others I wonder about. Yes, 100 cal/oz is what we should shoot for as a minimum, but what makes up those calories should be more important than trying to meet your 2-3k calories per day goal.

For example, yesterday I ate 2 chocolate frosted donuts, a Granny Smith apple, and a cliff bar before i ate lunch. That was a total of 880 calories. Unfortunately 540 of them were empty calories, and a waste of fuel. Especially if I were to be putting my body through a strenuous activity.

Different foods effect different people's bodies in various ways. Some people respond better to low protein diets, and others crave lots of wheat products. Knowing what your body responds positively to and when to refuel is key for optimum energy and performance.

Would like to hear others feedback before I post up a long and in detail guide. I don't have a degree in nutrition, nor do i claim to be an expert. I just would like to pass on information i have gained throughout the years working with nutritionists, as well as training along side professional athletes at elite levels in multiple sports. I have seen the results, and a firm believer in proper nutrition.

Daniel_M

WKR
How do you plan to apply proper nutrition in a mostly ready to eat form that's lightweight for backpackers and 100cal/oz?

Lawnboi

WKR
I eat a lot of garbage at home... that is my weakness.

When backpacking I have a hard time eating, especially enough. Don't know why but I do. I don't carry the cleanest food but this year I tried something I never have before. It made quite the difference.

For mountain biking and working out I started using hammer nutrition products. And I recently got those invisilign braces. So eating became a chore.

I figured id drink my calories, well a good amount of them anyways.

I can say eating those clean, organic calories made me feel great, digested easily and didn't leave me sore. I knew the stuff worked for biking I just moved it over to backpacking

That's how I ate more clean on the go... Ill bring some stuff with me on every trip now.

OP
D

DeepMauka

Lil-Rokslider
Lawnboi, glad you can see the results. Eating right isn't easy. It's a lifestyle change that takes discipline, but the longterm effects are worth the sacrifice.

OP
D

DeepMauka

Lil-Rokslider
How do you plan to apply proper nutrition in a mostly ready to eat form that's lightweight for backpackers and 100cal/oz?

With a little planning and ingenuity, its not far fetched. I would say pre plan your meals and dehydrate them. That is the easiest way. That's basically what is done to the over the counter backpacking meals. I've seen threads on making your own cliff bars, protein powder brownies and cookies.
Incorporating foods and products that cover a wide variety of nutrients is one way, much like the gear you pack serves more than one purpose. Super foods like chia seeds, bee pollen, honey, and oats are some examples that pack tons of nutrients and energy in a small package. Protein powders and recovery style powers help too.