Camcorders?

joelzilla

FNG
I picked up a Panasonic one that weighs less than a pound and shoots 4K for adventures. Does anybody use camcorders anymore?

apnea

FNG
I’m wondering same thing. I am going to learn the video function on my DSLR, it would be nice to carry just one camera. I’ll probably have that along anyway, so maybe don’t need another thing to carry. Curious what others are doing.

OP
J

joelzilla

FNG
I’m wondering same thing. I am going to learn the video function on my DSLR, it would be nice to carry just one camera. I’ll probably have that along anyway, so maybe don’t need another thing to carry. Curious what others are doing.
The lenses add way more bulk and weight than having a camcorder. Having just one zoom lens might be heavy. I think it depends on what you are shooting and how much gear you're looking to carry.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
I still do, just can't decide if I want the extra size for mirrorless or to stick with a camcorder for bigger zoom with smaller sensor. Sure is nice only carrying my 12 year old camcorder with 40x optical zoom that fits in a pocket while I decide.
Was painful this season watching two satellite bulls hang out and bugle in a thunderstorm at dusk only 100 yards away knowing my little sensor was worthless in such little light.

charliebravo77

Lil-Rokslider
It really depends on what your intended purpose is - for simply capturing memories of a hunt then they are light and simple to use and the camera you take with you is better than the camera you leave at home because it's too heavy or complicated. A consumer grade camcorder/handy cam is never going to have the cinematic look that a DSLR/mirrorless or pro/prosumer video camera does or work as well in low light situations because of the physics involved with sensor size vs aperture of the lens and other considerations but if you don't care about that then go with a camcorder.

JPatzig

FNG
I probably have the same 4k panasonic as you. Like you mentioned, it's very lightweight. Also has exceptional built in lens zoom. For anyone not shooting professional footage, I think it works great for capturing footage of animals.