camera decisions with bear boxs

Jacack

WKR
Haven't used cameras in 10 years but got access to some private here in south fl that I want to get a few setup on .

Property has tons of bears and know they will be a issue.

After reading it seems browning is the way to go. I will be checking around every 2-3 weeks.

This is obviously for hunting but also for my 8yr old boy. He wants to get some panther pictures and there are plenty on the Property so I think something with video clips would be cool for him.

Probably get 3 to start and looking for suggestions on what models and brands of bear boxes. Not worried about thieves on this property but know there are alot of bears around.

One last question, where is the best place to buy from? Big box stores? I see camofire has cams on Tuesdays but always overwhelmed with all the models.

Thanks
Jared

snakelk

WKR
Bears are the primary reason I run security boxes as well.

Camlockbox.com has the most comprehensive selection and a box for just about every cam made. They sell quality boxes and I've always been happy with them. Their "timber screws" are very nice as well and fairly priced, in my opinion.

Finding great buys on factory security boxes is hit or miss. Occasionally one can find used boxes on the cheap from Trailcampro.com or eBay.

If you don't want to pay full retail price you could try your hand at homemade security boxes. Usually homemade boxes are fabricated from AC disconnect boxes. Going that route probably wouldn't be cost effective if a person was only making a few, as there's going to be raw material, tools, and supply costs involved.

snakelk

WKR
As for brands, yes, Browning generally makes a decent camera. I've owned most brands and had good luck with Browning, although I have had some fail after a few years use. Using security boxes should help extend the life of a cam as it provides some added weather protection.

The Browning Strike Force has been one of my favorites. I purchased 4 Browning Recon Force cams in 2014 and one is still working. I've also had great luck with Stealth "G" series cams (G26, G30, G42, G34 Max). I prefer the Stealth G series if I want to run on video mode. The Moultrie "A" series (A35) has been a reliable unit for us as well. I'm not up on the latest offering from Primos, but I have some Primos cams that are several years old and are still working normally (Proof 01 Gen 2, and older Primos Truth cams).

I'd check eBay, Camofire, Academy Sports, Pine Mountain Archery, and sometimes even Dick's or Cabela's have good deals on cams.

snakelk

WKR
Not sure if this will help you, but here's a few links to some trail camera footage from a mix of brands:

another big thumbs up for camlockbox.com

When you decide on a camera, just look over there to see if they make a box for it. More than likely they do. I grabbed a bunch of my old whitetail cameras from my parent's house last year and brought them up for bear baiting. Probably 7 year old cameras and camlockbox had the exact boxes I needed and they were in AK in less than a week. I used the timber screws as well and the problem 2 year old brown bears I was dealing with couldn't get my cameras to move.