Camera for Dall Sheep hunt

mfsights257

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Dall hunt this year and need some advice on a little camera to take, I usually use my phone, but not sure how that would work being in the field for 10 days.

Thanks for your help!

ColeyG

WKR
Small, light, waterproof, durable, with a high power optical zoom and good glass. Canon and Sony have the corner on that market.

akbrett

FNG
get one small enough to fit in your jacket, or a hip belt on your pack. i bought one that is too big and had to store it in my pack, very rarely did i take it out.

Wapiti1

WKR
Sony RX100M6. Panasonic ZS200K.

I took the Pana ZS100 (predecessor to the camera above) on my sheep hunt in 2017. The extra reach of the lens was nice. I took the Sony above on my moose hunt in 2020 and several fishing trips since. Smaller than the Pana, but less lens. The Sony is sharper as well, but you have to pixel peep to see it. Either are solid options.

Whatever you take, you'll need 2 extra batteries and a battery bank to charge with.

A cell phone could work, but it is limiting if you intend to do anything with the photos.

Jeremy

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
The Canon G7x mark II is a better camera with a tilting screen, longer battery life, a wider and longer focal length, a built in ND filter and it will read high speed cards. The tradeoff; it is a bit more expensive and almost 4 ounces heavier.

Sony RX100M6. Panasonic ZS200K.

I took the Pana ZS100 (predecessor to the camera above) on my sheep hunt in 2017. The extra reach of the lens was nice. I took the Sony above on my moose hunt in 2020 and several fishing trips since. Smaller than the Pana, but less lens. The Sony is sharper as well, but you have to pixel peep to see it. Either are solid options.

Whatever you take, you'll need 2 extra batteries and a battery bank to charge with.

A cell phone could work, but it is limiting if you intend to do anything with the photos.

Jeremy
I probably will only print off the pictures once i'm back. Thank You,

MBN

FNG
I have a Cannon Powershot SX50. A little big but takes great pics especially in low light and on a tripod and with the zoom takes great video. Sometimes a little extra weight is worth it. I know you can use a phone scope but I can control the camera a lot better. The 3 shot delay timer on a tripod helps a lot too when you don’t have someone to take a pic or want everyone in the photo.

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Im in the same situation as you Im trying to think of what I should bring camera wise but dont wanna invest 2k into it. I have a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 was thinking about taking.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I agree on the 1 inch sensor compacts like the Sony RX series or Canon G9/7X series.

Appreciably better image quality than a phone, but still small and light. They aren’t waterproof, and wont last forever beating around the backcountry , but will preserve those memories for you.

My buddy took this route on his Dall hunt and came back with some amazing photos.

MBN

FNG
I think I paid around $400 for mine but that was 7 years ago or so. It has held up well.