Camera for Photo and Video - DSLR vs Mirrorless

northman

FNG
Hey Folks,

Looking to make a camera purchase, camera will be used for a wide variety.

Mostly used for outdoor photography/wildlife shooting, and some videography in that aspect. Will also be doing some self-shot marketing photos and videos for my family's small business, COVID has put a pinch on the marketing budget and given us a reason to bring it in house.

The camera will be mine, however it will be company paid for, so the budget is setup by the boss (my old man). He likes the Nikon Z6 filmmakers package, which comes in around $4000. Any other suggestions for a camera/package in that price range? Mirrorless vs DSLR? Definitely something with good weather resistance, I'll be using it on hikes, hunts, fishing trips, etc.

The end results (photos and videos) will be used both personally and for digital marketing moving forward.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Wapiti1

WKR
The Nikon Z6 is a good choice. In full frame also look at the Sony A7 III.

For a smaller package, the Fuji XT4 is about as good an all around camera as you will find.

Keep in mind that you'll have to pick and choose lenses that are weather sealed if that is important to you.

Jeremy

OP
N

northman

FNG
The Nikon Z6 is a good choice. In full frame also look at the Sony A7 III.

For a smaller package, the Fuji XT4 is about as good an all around camera as you will find.

Keep in mind that you'll have to pick and choose lenses that are weather sealed if that is important to you.

Jeremy

Jeremy,

Thanks for the response! Definitely thinking full frame, I did consider the A7 III and the Canon R

Wapiti1

WKR
Hunting, hiking and full frame are tough due to size. Just a comment on that.

I moved from a FF Canon system to Olympus because of that. I don't shoot much video, so that wasn't in the decision. My 300 F2.8 Canon lens alone weighs what my whole Oly setup weighs with two pro zoom lenses. I don't feel like I lost any image quality for my needs, but you do have to compensate for depth of field and low light shooting.

FF has advantages too. I think all around the APS-C is the sweet spot for size and capability.

Good luck in the search.

Jeremy

OP
N

northman

FNG
Hunting, hiking and full frame are tough due to size. Just a comment on that.

I moved from a FF Canon system to Olympus because of that. I don't shoot much video, so that wasn't in the decision. My 300 F2.8 Canon lens alone weighs what my whole Oly setup weighs with two pro zoom lenses. I don't feel like I lost any image quality for my needs, but you do have to compensate for depth of field and low light shooting.

FF has advantages too. I think all around the APS-C is the sweet spot for size and capability.

Good luck in the search.

Jeremy

Yeah FF definitely wouldn't be my first choice for packing in. I would consider APS-C, but definitely need top notch quality since it will be for some marketing work as well. The marketing work is what had me on the FF.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I really like Nikon lenses and ergonomics. It is hard not to see the end of DSLRs on the horizon. I use Nikon DSLR gear now, but will eventually move to the Z system. The Z5 and Z6 are well-rounded, and I am looking in that direction.

OP
N

northman

FNG
I really like Nikon lenses and ergonomics. It is hard not to see the end of DSLRs on the horizon. I use Nikon DSLR gear now, but will eventually move to the Z system. The Z5 and Z6 are well-rounded, and I am looking in that direction.

Completely agree on the DSLR front, they aren't going to be top dog forever. I like the Nikon line also, but have no brand loyalty or preference. Looked at the Z7, but the video need pushes me towards the Z6.

Wapiti1

WKR
I don't know that DSLR's are the top now. Sony has ILF's that are as good as the Canon and Nikon flagship DSLR's. DSLR's maybe still have an edge in sports and fast action shooting. That gap is small though. What kills you is the glass investment that drives the need to stick to a brand's system.

It wasn't that long ago that FF wasn't possible for serious video work. The heat generation on the chip was too high. Canon worked it out on the 5D series. Now, consider that one of the go to cameras for video (broadcast and smaller format) is the Panasonic GH5 and GH5s. Those are top notch for any video work and use a much smaller sensor. I'm not pushing the GH5, just pointing out that sensor size is not as relevant in video.

Also consider how good video from drones can be with their tiny sensors.

Just food for thought on video quality. It's far more dependent on the processor and software than on sensor size.
I would talk to a couple of videographers and see what they said about the type of work you want to do. Since it is marketing and business related, I'd prioritize the video over the stills and get that camera system.

Jeremy

OP
N

northman

FNG
I don't know that DSLR's are the top now. Sony has ILF's that are as good as the Canon and Nikon flagship DSLR's. DSLR's maybe still have an edge in sports and fast action shooting. That gap is small though. What kills you is the glass investment that drives the need to stick to a brand's system.

It wasn't that long ago that FF wasn't possible for serious video work. The heat generation on the chip was too high. Canon worked it out on the 5D series. Now, consider that one of the go to cameras for video (broadcast and smaller format) is the Panasonic GH5 and GH5s. Those are top notch for any video work and use a much smaller sensor. I'm not pushing the GH5, just pointing out that sensor size is not as relevant in video.

Also consider how good video from drones can be with their tiny sensors.

Just food for thought on video quality. It's far more dependent on the processor and software than on sensor size.
I would talk to a couple of videographers and see what they said about the type of work you want to do. Since it is marketing and business related, I'd prioritize the video over the stills and get that camera system.

Jeremy

Jeremy,

Appreciate the continued assistance! The concern on sensor size was just the crop, but all fair points. Definitely prioritizing video over the stills. I may give Joel @Camera Land a call today and run it by him.

Thanks again!

Wapiti1

WKR
Lens selection overcomes crop factor related to sensor size to a point. The only item you can't overcome is depth of field, but your application dictates if that is important or not. Do you need subject isolation, or do you want larger regions all in focus? How much isolation is enough? Sometime you just shoot with more zoom and get farther away. DOF issue solved.

Interestingly, 4K video only uses 8-9 megapixels of the sensor. Sony's A7s III has a 12 megapixel sensor because of this and it is one of the top video shooters out there. They went with big pixels to make it a low light performer.

Each camera records the format you choose differently (4K, 1080P, 720P), and may or may not use the whole sensor to do it. It may crop it for you and only use a portion of the sensor. It may use the whole thing and convert it internally. When you hit the record button, it crops it in the viewfinder so you see what you are capturing. That is actually an issue with DSLR's that don't have a live view on their back LCD.

Jeremy

The decision here needs to be made after you know what's more important, stills or Video. From your post it seems like the stills may be more important.
To answer you properly we need to know
1. What will you be doing with the stills? Will there be heavy cropping? Will you be making large blow ups? Are they primarily being used on a web site?

2. Now the videos. What will you be doing with them? You tube? Large screens? Web site?

Let me know the answers to these and then I can suggest what I thinkare the best options

OP
N

northman

FNG
The decision here needs to be made after you know what's more important, stills or Video. From your post it seems like the stills may be more important.
To answer you properly we need to know
1. What will you be doing with the stills? Will there be heavy cropping? Will you be making large blow ups? Are they primarily being used on a web site?

2. Now the videos. What will you be doing with them? You tube? Large screens? Web site?

Let me know the answers to these and then I can suggest what I thinkare the best options

Happy to answer those questions!

Both are of equal importance, but stills will probably be the more common usage. Both personally and professionally. That being said, high quality video is a MUST, we are known for top notch marketing and want to continue that.

1.) Stills will mostly be website/constant contact based. Social Media usage, not much for blow ups. Some cropping necessary. With wildlife shooting, some cropping may be necessary as well, but will most likely be getting a telephoto lens down the line
2.) Youtube and website usage, some distribution, but typically just a Youtube link/embedded video.

Based on your answers I would go with the following in no particular order. These are all weatherproof cameras , as I assume you will be out in any condition and this would be a requirement

Full Frame
Sony A7 Mark 3
Canon EOS R

Crop sensor and 5 axis Image stabilization. Most Olympus lenses are weatherproof as well
Olympus E-M5 Mark 3 or the E-M1 Mark 3

We do carry Nikon as well but I feel these are better options

Feel free to call me and discuss

OP
N

northman

FNG
Based on your answers I would go with the following in no particular order. These are all weatherproof cameras , as I assume you will be out in any condition and this would be a requirement

Full Frame
Sony A7 Mark 3
Canon EOS R

Crop sensor and 5 axis Image stabilization. Most Olympus lenses are weatherproof as well
Olympus E-M5 Mark 3 or the E-M1 Mark 3

We do carry Nikon as well but I feel these are better options

Feel free to call me and discuss

Will probably be giving you a call tomorrow. Is there anything specific that puts the Sony and Canon above the Nikon?

I know lens selection is 1 reason, just curious on your thoughts as to what makes the other 2 the better choices

In the last year Sony, Canon and Olympus have constantly been coming out with new technology. Our #1 traded in system for one of these 3 is Nikon. Canon just came out with the R5 and R6. Their lens selection is awesome and 5 more lenses are supposed to be delivered by the end of the year.
Sony, well they have been #1 in the USA for full frame camera sales since January of 2018. Olympus has been #1 in Japan for crop sensor since February of this year with their share increasing in the USA.
All 3 of these companies have embraced Mirrorless, as that is the way the market is going.
I will be in Wednesday from 7:30-6

OP
N

northman

FNG
In the last year Sony, Canon and Olympus have constantly been coming out with new technology. Our #1 traded in system for one of these 3 is Nikon. Canon just came out with the R5 and R6. Their lens selection is awesome and 5 more lenses are supposed to be delivered by the end of the year.
Sony, well they have been #1 in the USA for full frame camera sales since January of 2018. Olympus has been #1 in Japan for crop sensor since February of this year with their share increasing in the USA.
All 3 of these companies have embraced Mirrorless, as that is the way the market is going.
I will be in Wednesday from 7:30-6

Again, I appreciate the response. I am enjoying more. The boss man was liking the Z6, especially because it can be bought in the "Filmmaker's Bundle". I'm not sure if that gives you any more insight into what I would be looking for as far as accessories.

That system is geared toward the heavy video shooter and the weakest link is the camera, when compared to the Sony and Canon

OP
N

northman

FNG
That system is geared toward the heavy video shooter and the weakest link is the camera, when compared to the Sony and Canon

I thought that myself. To me, it would make more sense to spend more on the camera itself, and then maybe a bit less on the video accessories? High quality video is definitely important but I’m not sure all those accessories are necessary for our shooting. It will mostly be “still” videography if that makes sense, probably mostly on a tripod.

IL Rifle

FNG
I’ve shot Nikons for decades, both film and digital. I still have a Nikons. But both my son and daughter did the research and bought Fuji XTs. What I like about the XT series is that they are about the same size as some of my favorite Nikons- the FM/FE series. Simple, compact, excellent exposure, dials instead of menu driven. The XT series seems to get back to basic photography. The Fuji sensors are excellent and can be programmed to replicate Fuji film and slide color profiles. I’m seriously thinking of converting some Nikon gear to Fuji.