Camera gear purgatory: buy lenses or cut bait and start over with a new system

I currently have a Canon T6s. On backpack hunts I run the 18-135/f3.5 kit lens. And I recently got a Tokina 11-16/f2.8 for night time photography, something I really enjoy.

As far as other lens I have but wouldn't take backpacking, I have the Canon 24mm/f2.8 pancake lens which I sometimes use with a Novagarde spotting scope adapter. And last I have a Canon 70-300, can't remember the exact version, it's not an L lens or anything special.

I'd say in an average week long hunt I might take a 100 pictures and get a couple few that I like enough to do something with (mostly post to Instagram, and not for the likes, just for my own memory).

I've been wanting to cut some weight from my camera gear since I don't take that many pictures, and (probably?) what I'm doing with them doesn't really dictate a full-frame DSLR kind of setup. I've also been wanting to upgrade my 'everyday' kit lens to something nicer, for family stuff, kids playing sports, etc. So I'm at the point where I might get the Tamron 24-70/f2.8, the older VC model, not the current G2 version, just buy used somewhere. That's going to run $500, and it'll help me at home but wouldn't help me cut weight. I wonder if my money might be better spent on something else?

I think at this point my photography skills and interest are probably holding me back more than my equipment, I've only recently begun doing any sort of editing of RAW files in Lightroom. So perhaps spending any money will show more benefit in the form of a weight cut. It seems like I'm sort of at the point where I need to spend a lot of money to make better photographs, something I'm not sure I'm ready to do. But maybe I'd spend less money to cut weight assuming the quality of photographs I can make isn't degraded. Any advice?

I have been in this business for a lot of years and the only way you can shed the weight is to go to a compact camera. The Tamron 24-70 you mention is a terrific lens, but heavier then what you use now. Since you said the images end up on instagram and not framed on your wall why carry a DLSR?
Depending on the budget Canon and Sony have great options. Canon SX740 has a great zoom range and the Sony RX series has a larger 1" sensor and faster lens, better in low light.
Feel free to gove me a call to discuss your options. I am here until 6:00

Joel

JungleJoe

FNG
I have been in this business for a lot of years and the only way you can shed the weight is to go to a compact camera. The Tamron 24-70 you mention is a terrific lens, but heavier then what you use now. Since you said the images end up on instagram and not framed on your wall why carry a DLSR?
Depending on the budget Canon and Sony have great options. Canon SX740 has a great zoom range and the Sony RX series has a larger 1" sensor and faster lens, better in low light.
Feel free to gove me a call to discuss your options. I am here until 6:00

Joel
This is dead on. If you want a higher apeture I would recommend the RX100 M5 but if you want more zoom capability, go with the RX100 M6. All good options.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jac68984

FNG
I agree which what’s been said above. Sony has some nice compact mirrorless options you might consider. I will say that the Tameron 24-70 2.8 VC is a fantastic lens. I have kept mine after testing the latest Canon L counterpart because I don’t see a drastic difference in sharpness, color, or contrast between my Tameron copy and the L, and I want to keep the very good VC (why Canon continues to refuse adding IS to its 24-70L is beyond me). That said, the lens alone weighs more than some good compact all-in-one offerings if all you are doing is taking photos for personal memories or social media in strong light (hard to beat big sensors and large apertures for low light situations).

It’s a balancing act.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

auggiedun

FNG
Hunt or take pictures. I know there are lots of guys that can pull it off, but I have a hard time doing both seriously. These new phones have awesome cameras and I rely on mine for photo opps while hunting/fishing. Then other days, I take the real photo gear out.

The cameras that are in phones these days are pretty crazy considering the small package. If you get a new phone every couple years that might be the way to go. Sirui makes legit lenses for phones that would save you a ton of weight. They are made with Schott Glass (Zeiss) rather than plastic. They would get you a good zoom and the images would be perfect for throwing up online.