Camera w/ remote control capabilities

jd1006

WKR
Hello! I’ve looked through all the threads in here and want the most current feedback before I bug the guys at Cameraland!

I’m looking for a compact, point and shoot cameras that can be activated via remote to film on the go, but also have decent enough reach to out-perform my iphone on any photos.

It seems the lay of the land is either:

1. Get separate devices (such as a go pro or panasonic camcorder, and then a really good optical zoom camera with a lot of reach when combined with digital zoom)
2. Go with something like the Sony RX100 that does both of these things but lacks on each end of the spectrum a bit.

I don’t want a larger, DLSR-style with multiple lenses (we have one of these and it never comes with due to the inconvenience of bringing all of that stuff). I’m not lookin got add a bunch of weight. I just see the advantages, especially on the go, of having a separate camera, when I might need by phone for navigation purposes. I also see the advantage of being able to add an external mic (for mostly home use), better quality video, and a larger sensor for blowing up any photos I might take.

The Olympus Tough models are interesting, but they seem to lack some of the better video options and limited zoom range. The new model Sony ZV-1 looks interesting too and not sure how that compares to the RX100.

For the remote operation from my iphone, most of these cameras connect via WI-FI and have a dedicated app, but some offer bluetooth. Do you need a WI-FI connection to link them for those WI-FI only cameras?

My main concern is a new model coming out after I make this purchase…but that’s probably a question for the Cameraland guys.

Good morning
The ZV1 is a great camera with a ton of video features but, and it's a big but, it has a short zoom 24-70mm. The RX100 Mark 7 has a great zoom with less video features but still has quite a bit. We have a Tripod grip similar to the Sony that works blue tooth up to 322' away from the camera.
Feel free to call me. I will be on a zoom call today from 10:30 to 12:00

Happy to help

Joel
516-217-1000

jeepfan

FNG
If you go with the RX100 you will have to go with version vii. Don't get used older versions. Version vii will work with their bluetooth remote control and it does have a microphone port but it doesn't have a shoe for a mic so would will need a cage. The RX100 also has built in flash and EVF and 200mm zoom.

OP
J

jd1006

WKR
Any reason to believe a new RX100 model is coming soon?

Jimss

WKR
I like super zooms! It seems like I never have enough zoom! I guess a lot depends upon what you are using your camera and remote for? I have a panasonic camcorder plus a couple super zoom cameras that work great for filming critters at long distances. The panasonic camcorder is nice because it fits in a jacket pocket. I've taken it on a bunch of Alaska and other trips. The super zooms are nice because they take better still photos. The super zoom video is still pretty darn good.

They work great for field judging and getting footage of animals that are a long ways away. I also take a lot of bird pics....which everyone knows usually takes a long lens. These would be impossible to get on film with lower zoom ranges.