Camo for Mtn. Goat hunting

KineKilla

WKR
So, here I am exactly 5 days from the opening of my once in a lifetime Goat season. My plan is to hunt them with a bow primarily although I am allowed any legal weapon.

My plan all along was to wear my Sitka Open Country setup because the grey color blends in with the rocks in my unit very well. However, this is 2020 and everything is screwed up including the weather. Our forecasted temps for this Saturday is 99 degrees in the valley, so probably 80-85 up on the mountain in the afternoon. My OC gear is really geared for cooler temps as I have the Timberline pants and Heavyweight hoody.

So, do you think my warmer season gear (Sitka Subalpine pattern) is going to work for getting close to these animals? It's obviously more green than grey but I'm not clear if the color matters all that much. Most Google results about goat vision says they see some color, perhaps a bit better than deer and elk but they are also usually talking about farm goats and not mountain goats.

Just wanting some input before I spend $70 on a new lightweight shirt in the Open Country pattern...

Thanks,
KK

Decker9

WKR
IMHO, The one animal Iv found that camo doesnt mean much with, are goats. Now, a persons face, is a different story. For archery, I’d be considering a buff or something to cover my face (other then my eyes).

New gear is always nice though, I love my lightweight hoody.

Sounds like you already have what you need, but I wanted to offer another consideration.

Some folks will tell you that wearing a white painter's suit works because their eyesight isn't amazing and if you mess up and expose yourself on your approach, they may think you are another mountain goat. That's not wrong, but... if you will be in an area where you think there is a chance rifle hunters may also be goat hunting, know that you might look like a goat to them, too. And if you're going to hunt in an area where both nannies and billies are legal, well, there's a risk of an accident happening.

Good luck on your hunt!