Camo or solid day pack?

Do you guys feel for whitetail spot and stalk hunting a camo pack is necessary?

or do you think a solid tan is fine as well. Looking to get a new backpack and not sure if I wanna get just a solid tan Or that real tree timber pattern.

probably a dumb question but this is what I think about in bed a month before the season hahah

kyleds8

FNG
can be done in a plaid shirt and blue jeans, so no not necessary, but maybe helpful. Personally I prefer solid colors so I can use them in all situations without standing out so much.

manitou1

WKR
I avoid tan or coyote colors for hunting timber or brush, etc. Had a game warden tell me a story of two guys shot a guy in a cedar thicket who was wearing tan Carhart bibs. Ran up to see what they shot and left him to die. He crawled several hundred yards to the road and was picked up. Was shot through the pelvis. They never caught the two guys.

I avoid tan or coyote colors for hunting timber or brush, etc. Had a game warden tell me a story of two guys shot a guy in a cedar thicket who was wearing tan Carhart bibs. Ran up to see what they shot and left him to die. He crawled several hundred yards to the road and was picked up. Was shot through the pelvis. They never caught the two guys.

Good point. No matter what what you use, may want some blaze orange even in bow season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kyleds8

FNG

I feel like if yahoos are shooting at something without being sure of what it is, fair chance they shoot you whether you're wearing solid colors, camo, or your birthday suit.

manitou1

WKR
I feel like if yahoos are shooting at something without being sure of what it is, fair chance they shoot you whether you're wearing solid colors, camo, or your birthday suit.
Possibly. But wearing something on my back that is nearly identical in color as a whitetail seems to invite accidents. Out West in the open prairie, may be a non-issue as one can clearly see for a very long distance. In the timber, where a person may only see a portion of something brown and decide to shoot leaves me a bit squeamish. Unfortunately, there are those that lose all sensibility and composure when they encounter, or believe they encounter a game animal. I wish it wasn't so as I really like the coyote color on packs.

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t worry about camo for white tails at all. Even for turkeys I only use a shirt or jacket. My daypack (Shapecharge) is Ranger green. I take it overseas sometimes and like it being low key.

My whitetail pack is a coyote brown pack from Kifaru; its a E&E. Im thinking of selling it for a Shape Charge from Kifaru. you don't need camp. If never had them pick my bag out. I do put a blaze orange vest over it on public land during rifle season being open. I don't want to be that brown down guy. Plus as SPC7699 says you can use it for more than hunting.

henz08

FNG
Do you guys feel for whitetail spot and stalk hunting a camo pack is necessary?

or do you think a solid tan is fine as well. Looking to get a new backpack and not sure if I wanna get just a solid tan Or that real tree timber pattern.

probably a dumb question but this is what I think about in bed a month before the season hahah
I have used both. No issues. Most of the time I find myself facing the animal I am stalking. What’s on my back, camo or solid, doesn’t matter. Go with what fits your needs.

OP
F
Looking into those insight element packs. They come in real tree , tan and timber. My regular camo is FL fusion. So I was going to go with just plane tan

Quin

FNG
Well this is just great... I've got a brown pack and now you guys have made me all paranoid about it o_O. The thought of other hunters mistaking it had never even crossed my mind... But now I can't un-think it.

Maki35

WKR
I avoid coyote/ tan and black/ dark brown colors while hunting. As stated above, another hunter can mistake you for a deer or black bear.

Hondo

WKR
I used to carry camo daypacks but have switched to solid color (grey, tan, olive) packs and am unlikely to ever go back to a camo pack. If I'm hunting on public land or on private land where there might be a concern of being mistaken for game by another hunter I'm wearing an orange cap/beanie at a minimum and some added orange to my pack. I have an orange Pal Pocket for my Hill People Gear Umlindi and an orange pack cover for my Mystery Ranch although most of the time I will just tie an orange bandana to it.

jspradley

WKR
Well this is just great... I've got a brown pack and now you guys have made me all paranoid about it o_O. The thought of other hunters mistaking it had never even crossed my mind... But now I can't un-think it.

Getchu one of those blaze orange panels you can attach to it and you'll be fine.

I mean you'll likely be fine either way but still...not something I want to chance lol

I have a green exo mountain pack that I use for all my public land hunting. I still hunt and just get set up pull it off and stash it until I’m ready to move or just keep it on. I have not had any issue with deer or elk. I took 2 nice bucks last year public land using this method. The area that I have hunt is y’all blue stem grass and scrub oak so I have to hunt from the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrm02

FNG
I use a foliage colored Mystery Ranch pack, and most of the time, either my shirt or pants (or both) are a solid color (green/gray), and I hunt both eastern and western style terrain. I own and use camo clothes, but I tend to think people put a little too much emphasis on needing to have all their clothes be matching camo (and having camo that "matches" a specific terrain). I think most people would be better served to spend their time shooting more (bow, rifle, muzzleloader), and learning how to find game (read terrain/maps/sign, understand seasonal habits, etc.).

fshaw

WKR
I use a camo pack and strap minders to keep the ends of compression straps, etc. from causing extra motion.