Camo or Solids? That is the question.

I hunt in whatever combo works for the situation I am going to be in. I have some camo stuff from a couple different companies. I hunt mostly technical clothing acquired over time. But I’ve been known to hunt in jeans or my carhartts. None of it can replace sound woodsmanship.

I tend to use both solids and camo. Two days ago I used tan Carhart bibs and a camo coat to hunt ducks in the rain. The week before that I killed a buck with my bow at 12 yards wearing FL cipher. It all depends on where/what/how I’m hunting. I stay still, watch the wind, and do my best to plan ahead. It seems to work out pretty well. Dress to be comfortable and you’ll move less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, there are some opinionated people in here; and some without much common courtesy. Pretty sad.

I use both solids and camo and it’s totally dependent on what I’m hunting or guiding. If I’m in a south Texas popup tent blind, I’m wearing all black - to blend into the black interior. If I’m calling predators to a shotgun setup, where they’ll be within 40yds when I shoot, I’m wearing camo colored for the terrain. Same goes for running and gunning for turkey. If I’m sheep hunting I’m wearing camo because their eyes are incredible. If I’m hunting elk or mule deer during archery season I can go either way but I prefer camo on my upper body at least. Rifle season, who cares? I’m wearing solids unless I expect to be exposed and an animal could come in close. If I’m hunting Sandhills or waterfowl I prefer camo. Can I kill all these animals in solids? Sure. Can I gain a slight edge and kill more with camo? 1000% Especially with a bow. Is it a necessity? Certainly not. But making a blanket statement that camo is hocus locus is even more deluded than saying camo is a necessity.

Not all camo is the same either; and most of the time the pattern is more important than the coloration. Big blocky patterns (i.e. Predator our Kuiu Vias) are far more effective at breaking up your outline and reducing the appearance of movement (slightly), in my experience, than busy patterns like Mossy Oak and Realtree.

I definitely like the multipurpose nature of solids they wouldn’t be the only hunting clothes I own unless I was only a rifle hunter and only hunting animals like elk and mule deer, which aren’t particularly known for their eyesight and intelligence. There’s a reason that so many animals, particularly predators, have patterns. Even deer species have variety in their coloration to help them blend in. You have to know and consider the species you’re hunting and the type of hunting you’re doing. Choose your clothing appropriately. There is no perfect hunting clothing that works every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
If you buy solids you can always get one of the cheap super thin camo zip up shirts that you use in hot weather and just pull it over your solid jacket.

I've often wondered whether, for those of us who wear camo in some situations, if this should be the best approach. Just wear regular clothes, or solids of hunting clothes, and then put on some sort of super thin camo layer on top (of top and pants) if you need/want camo. I could see how it wouldn't be exactly the same (like if your jacket has all of the pockets, etc., you still have to access those through the shirt/cover), and the companies aren't exactly incentivized to offer this approach.

That said, I've been buying more solids lately, especially in pants, but I also have more than a reasonable share of camo stuff.

Rock-o

WKR
Our forefathers did not have camo clothing. Their camo was knowing how to hunt. Then camo clothing came along which duped people - they thought it was the silver bullet. They then forgot how to hunt like our forefathers. The best camo is knowing how to hunt. While camo clothing doesn't hurt it is not knowing how to hunt.

Also consider that "solid" color clothes are not actually a solid color when worn out hunting. As you move the clothes wrinkle and bend and move and as light shows on the different areas shadows are created and different shades appear.

I prefer First lite ASAT, but for early season in hot weather, Kuiu Tiburon is fantastic... it wicks away moisture and dries extremely quick.

Mudflap621

Lil-Rokslider
i myself think im going to start going with some more solid colors this year been really looking at the first lite stuff hard i just wish i could get some in hand to play with to compare to my sitka. i might feel like a poser wearing all my sitka gear lol

Trees91

WKR
Solids head to toe this fall for my brother and I, mix of gray tan and green for the most part. The animals don't seem to care. Hell, I shot my deer in phantom(basically black) kuiu guide pants in the snow. Use the wind, and use your terrain.

Gotta have the camo gun though😉
192AD8F9-FBDD-4B0E-B5E2-4FE89F9F7D30.jpeg

Last edited:

LJ Buck

WKR
I will say for the most part it doesn’t matter but when archery hunting I have had experiences in ASAT where I got away with more movement or getting pinned down in the open. The Asat pattern confuses animals and brakes up the big blob most other patterns create. I also think it helps moving in open country above alpine. Wish Sitka or FL would pick up Asat again.

Now if we discuss gun vs archery then it’s totally different...IMO its much easier to get within range of a 7mm mag wearing whatever you want but within archery range of wary critters like Whitetail or Coues then camo for sure

ljalberta

WKR
I usually wear solids, but I have a few camo items. I don't think it makes a large difference. One friend got his archery bull this year from under 30 yards wearing a bright neon green long sleeve.

I like camo tops and solid bottoms. I use Sitka's whitetail line tops for treestand. Most of that doesn't come in solids. I've started using Kuiu pants though and use solids to get more use from them in the offseason. You can't go wrong eithery way though, use what you like.

Camo is important to me for archery, turkey, coyote & crow hunting so that's the majority of the hunting clothes that I have. I just use what I have for everything.
I'd have no problem wearing solids for long range (deer, elk, etc).
Anything that would be considered base or mid layer I get solids so I can wear everyday with "normal" clothes.

tshunter

FNG
I too think camo is a joke. I’ve hunted my whole life without it, and I guess someone forgot to tell the animals I’ve killed that I needed it.

prm

WKR
I am not necessarily anti-camo, but for rifle elk and deer hunting I don’t wear any. For archery I wear camo. Not really sure why, but I do think the entire matching suit of camo looks kind of silly. Some good earth tones seem to work just fine.