Camo or Solids? That is the question.

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
“What kinda of statement are we making here girls? The runways in Paris are full of the finest fashions yet we ruin our evening gown look by wearing a fake pearls.”

What part of “we” do you not f-n understand? Did you read my initial response? That’s the answer. The rest is how guys ridicule either other into using their f-n noodle.

Maybe I should have suggested snow camo since it’s suitable for snowflakes.

Seriously man....
I like snow camo, but you can go out in your pink coat though because camo is for girls and your a real man lol

matthewmt

WKR
I use FL obsidians or prana Zions with FL Merino top, chama usually for archery. Recently bought some kuiu attacks in solids and have been very happy with them the two days I've hunted them.
Skipped on long johns the first day out hunting in 2.5-3" of snow and was surprised how well the cut the wind and stayed comfortable. I got major brown attacks, will definitely wear them around in the off season.

Like others have stated, camo is nice for archery which is why I have it. Ill still run my lano and Klamath hoody in cipher for rifle simply because I bought them to hunt and as a system they work.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

It doesn’t make two shits. That is the answer. It’s just a fashion show.

Predators evolved for no reason except to be the fashionistas of the planet. Nailed it! Pretty kitty.
b5946ecd874e462e5c93334a8c036aea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm in a treestandm, then I'm in camo and no orange. But I'm on private land and almost never see anyone else. Once my feet hit the ground, the orange goes on. But my experience has been that deer can be within a few feet and as long as I don't move or make a sound, I'm good. Move and make a sound, and you'll get busted camo or not.

Mt Al

WKR
Notice how "all them" now offer solids and some have for a few years? They all know we're as fashion conscious as high school girls and bought into the craze. I know I did. They also know it's totally overblown, guaranteed, and need solids to keep earning our money. Just glad they all use great fabrics, pockets, articulation, etc. which, IMHO, is what really matters. I think camo works OK sometimes, particularly in a more open archery ground blind. Next stuff I buy will be solids. Take your pick.

gfreidy

WKR
Love solids...especially for pants. Prana in Dirt or Green with FL fusion tops has been my go to all year.

Deer, and elk's eyes, specifically the rods and cones in their eyes are designed to be highly sensitive to movement (not slow motion movement). so if your not moving and not in bow range, it is very likely it will not matter. If you are bird or bear hunting, since these animals see color, the camo can be the difference between a full freezer and tag soup.

Personally, I use both, depending on what I am hunting and the terrain. But then, I like to get to a spot under the concealment of darkness and just sit and let the animals come out to play. I will do the same under lighted conditions from my evening hunts and return to camp in the dark.

Chipz

FNG
Camo all the way. I'm mainly hunting coyotes though, for deer and other ungulates i've got some brown and tan solids for pants. I'm almost always in a some kind of camo top or hoody.

There's way more to staying invisible than camo. Lighting and shadows play a much bigger role. So do silhouettes. Camo helps in some situations, but for the great majority of the time it holds no advantages over solids. Learn what actually makes a person stand out visually to game, and buy what works well in terms of material and design.
Bow hunting pronghorn is a good example. If you are anywhere visible to them at all, you're busted no matter what camo pattern you might have on.
I still have lots of camo First Lite merino, because their merino is top notch. All the rest of my new gear is solid or multicam because hunting brands cost more for the same or lesser performance VS other outdoor companies.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt whitetail in TX and ok. Mostly tree stand. Colorado for elk, walking.

You don’t NEED camo clothing to hunt anything. Humans have been whacking game animals since before textiles.

Wear whatever you want to wear if you’re trying to kill big game with a rifle.

howl

WKR
Camo hides blood and mud stains. The boy killed a small doe recently. I don't know how it had that much blood in it, but those pants would be wrecked if the bloodstains didn't blend with the camo.

I don't think it does anything for the game you say you hunt because those species don't see detail well enough to detect a difference from plain colors or plaids. A leafy suit would do something, but a camo pattern is just one shade to them.

If you also hunt predators or birds then def. get the camo. Those can see well enough to notice details.

Honyock

WKR
If you buy solids you can always get one of the cheap super thin camo zip up shirts that you use in hot weather and just pull it over your solid jacket.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m probably beating a dead horse here, but I want to hear from you guys. Looking to upgrade my hunting gear and am looking at Sitka, first lite, and kuiu. Scent and stillness are key factors, but there has to be something to all these camo patterns they test and put out. My primary debate is whether to get solid colors or camo. I like the idea of being able to wear something more than just a few months out of the year, especially if as expensive as this stuff is. However, I also don’t want to get spotted easily. What do y’all think??

I get this question a lot in our store. The answer to this depends on you and your hunting style. All animals have the same 5 basic needs. I need to drink, I need to eat, I need to sleep, I need to mat, or I need to run. The only thing that overrides the first four needs is the need to run(danger). The way to trigger the need to run is if the animal hears you, sees you, or smells you. So to capitalize on every encounter with your target animal in the field then you would try and cover up as much of these three things as you can. I run camo just because if you don't move you can all but eliminate the animals ability to see you.

I tell a lot of people if you have 20 or 30 attempts at the animals during the season then you might be able to skip camo because you have the numbers that you can make mistakes and let most of them pick you out of the brush. But if you are like me and only get 1 maybe two chances a year to put an arrow in your elk or shoot a buck from a tree stand then you can't afford to give the animal any edge over you so that way you make your one shot count.

I also only run sitka camo because it is the best I have found.

Wdh76

FNG
I use mostly camo , have some solid color pieces as well. If I do buy solid colors I try to buy from the companies that support hunting

lkwoolsey

WKR
I’m probably beating a dead horse here, but I want to hear from you guys. Looking to upgrade my hunting gear and am looking at Sitka, first lite, and kuiu. Scent and stillness are key factors, but there has to be something to all these camo patterns they test and put out. My primary debate is whether to get solid colors or camo. I like the idea of being able to wear something more than just a few months out of the year, especially if as expensive as this stuff is. However, I also don’t want to get spotted easily. What do y’all think??

Which ever one you like. I've got a blue OR rain jacket that's worked just fine. Got some camo stuff, some solid stuff, and some stuff, like my rain jacket, that isn't even earth tone, and I haven't ever had any issues. Most places you have to wear bright orange anyways, so it's a moot point.
As said above, for turkey, since their eyesight is so much better, it's nice to break up your outline. I'll usually just throw on an old multicam top at that point, once I get to where I wanna sit.

If I'm hunting anything with feathers it's full camo including headnet.

If it has hooves I wear a lot of solids. Mostly earthy tones.

My answer is both, especially if I can find something with a dual purpose like kicking around town and hunting I’ll buy it. I feel like the combination of dry earth bottoms and camo tops or vice versa probably kills the human bipedal outline better than all solid or all camo.