Camo reality check, ASAT vs Fusion... again

TheCougar

WKR
I'm pretty sure I can guess what the answer is going to be, but just for fun.

My hunting crew just got back from a successful turkey hunt (3 for 3) in northern AZ. While we were out there, we did a camo test with ASAT, Fusion, and Optifade. We did both black and white and color photos, and we even used our wives to provide feedback on what they saw and why it stood out or not. Fusion was the winner in pretty much every category, except silhouette breakup which ASAT won by a nose. Fusion especially beat out the ASAT in the color photo category. The Optifade did better than any of us expected, also. The ASAT was usually the one that people saw first: tree, bush, tiger, tree. Oh wait, there's a tiger right there. Found the ASAT. The tiger thing is actually a running joke in hunting camp. How do you find me in the woods? Just look for the tiger.

All my gear is in ASAT, which I have had good luck with. I bowhunt almost exclusively, so I put some value into a versatile and proven pattern. I've had lots of close encounters with ungulates, turkey, predators, etc and I have always felt practically invisible if I was still or moved slowly. I've never had a reason to doubt it, until this weekend when we did the side-by-side tests. I'm a big fusion fan now and considering changing. I've got a bunch of ASAT backordered gear from FL and I'm tossing around the idea of changing the pattern to fusion. Should I stop being a huge baby and just stick with ASAT, or is changing to fusion a good idea? Also, on a related note, do you think mixing and matching camo in the field is an issue - ASAT top and fusion pants, etc?

Like I said, I'm pretty sure you are going to tell me what the voice in my head tells me: "Hey moron, you've had good success with ASAT, so why change? So what if you look like a tiger? Tigers kill lots of stuff."

They're both great patterns so I say use the one you feel most confident in. I think its less about the pattern and more about what you feel good about wearing.

oldgoat

WKR
Lot of guys I know seem to be wearing fusion that used to wear ASAT. I don't put a lot of stock in what people see as far as camo goes unless your hunting people. I get a little physically ill looking at ASAT so fusion it is for me.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR

WoodBow

WKR
Unless you feel asat has failed you at some point, it seems silly to change. I wear ASAT. What fusion has going for it is that is a much more appealing to the human eye. ASAT is an ugly pattern. I wear it because it works.

Unless you feel asat has failed you at some point, it seems silly to change. I wear ASAT. What fusion has going for it is that is a much more appealing to the human eye. ASAT is an ugly pattern. I wear it because it works.

I agree with this as well. I actually changed from fusion to ASAT last year and had more close encounters than I've ever had, but that could be just dumb luck. My wife thinks ASAT is hideous so doesn't want me wearing around the house, forcing me to go hunt.

WKR
Something about asat.... My dog completely freaks every time she sees me in it. It makes her very uncomfortable, and no other pattern gets that reaction.

I imagine from her point of view all of a sudden I'm just a floating head and 2 hands, lol.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

topher89

WKR
I wouldn't change anything up. If you were upgrading from lower quality gear to First Lite, I would say changing to fusion would be fine. But to sell off your First Lite gear just to buy more First Lite gear seems a little silly. Your money would better spent on new gear or gas money to get out in the field.

ASAT has been working for you, so stick with it and save your pennies.

my money is on you buying new...you are asking to feel better about spending the money....."at least I thought about not spending the money" ;-). It is what gear junkies do...

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Not sure what has happened with the pics. I think I am just going to stick with ASAT. I'll be sad when FL stops carrying it. I get the feeling like the day is coming soon...

Dameon

WKR
I certainly hope not. I am so heavily invested in FL ASAT that I might as well own stock in the company. I'm still holding out for an updated ASAT North Branch jacket with a zip off hood and pit zips and gloves that fit my small hands properly.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
i can't find the color pictures we took. I think I deleted them after I posted them. The ASAT stood out a lot compared to the fusion in the color photos. I can't argue with success, however. I think I am going to stick with the ASAT.

WoodBow

WKR
I also fear FL moving away from ASAT. From a business perspective it makes sense. Create your own pattern (cipher) so you don't have to pay royalties on someone elses. The new puffy pants are not available in ASAT. Not a good sign. I own a LOT of FL ASAT.