Camo vs Solids??

z987k

WKR
Anybody have actual studies on different animal’s ability to distinguish between camo and solids? I’ve had success with both but curious if there’s science out there to back up one vs the other.
I find at the ranges everyone talks about hunting these days, the animal never sees you even if you're wearing a fluorescent green power ranger suit.

The new long range hunting jacket from HH.

SwiftShot

WKR
I have been strictly soluds for years. Most prey animals can see well but they pay attention to movement. Movement get you noticed. Since switching to solids I have not noticed a difference. I bow hunt and still stack them at close range every year.

SonnyDay

WKR
I think it's a little crazy to have different clothing for different species... so I wear my mostly camo clothing for turkey and also for big game. I don't wear that stuff around town as I am hoping to get many years out of it.

Solids are very "in" these days... so I think you guys made the right call for making $$.

I actually think it'd be cool if more companies offered plaids that didn't make you look like a d-bag around town, but offered some outline break-up capabilities. Especially for tops.

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I’m in the school of thought that it is better to have something and not need it than to need something and not have it. I can’t prove to anyone with scientific evidence that Camo is better but I feel it works better at concealing you than solids. I won’t argue that hunting the wind and being still are the most important things for going undetected but at the end of day if you’re wearing Camo the worse that can happen to you is an animal will see a solid human outline. With solids, you’re guaranteed for an animal to see a solid human outline. So we always wear Camo.

It seems as though most of the camo clothing makers are instilling functional features in their products. I appreciate that many of them are making solids. I purchase any camo as hunting equipment. I'm not a fan of wearing camo around town, or most places if not hunting. When hunting, I will wear whatever the weather calls for. Be it camo or otherwise, and be prepared for worse.

Kwa_bena

FNG
It depends on how I’m feeling that particular season. But I tend to mix and match but I buy more pants in solids because it just makes more sense in most cases like going to the airport.

Sled

WKR
I prefer solids for most hunts. if the colors are correct i'll wear them for archery too. quiet is a must no matter the color with durability a close second. some form of DWR and breathability has to be worked in there too.

As for the initial question, i like camo for some archery but it really helps hide the blood after the work starts. moving forward i'll stick with functional pieces that fit my specs listed above.