CAMOFIRE Plythal Experiment

I picked up a full set of the Plythal packable rain gear off Camofire a couple of weeks ago. Gave right around $75 for the whole get up.

I think I can officially say I've put them through more than I ever probably should have:
I set off ahead of a winter storm one night last week. Folded the rain gear up and stuck it in the cargo pockets of my pants. I don't know how packable ya'll need your mountain gear but to me, thats pretty damn packable.

The freezing rain and sleet moved in so I threw it on and kept hunting. Did the job.

This is the best part: I forgot my headlamp and the weather got western, quick. I had used a game trail to squeak through a knarly brush patch that covers up about a 1/2 acre around a "four corners" spot in between ag fields and timber. By the time I made it back, it was dark, sleeting so hard I couldn't lift my head up to look directly north, and the wind was howling. It took me what felt like an hour to get acoss that briar patch. I had two mutliflora rose branches stuck in my forehead by the time I made it back to the truck. The only thing louder than the sleet bouncing off of me and the wind was the sound of the briars shredding my rain gear.

I figured, there went $80 down the drain.

There is not a tear, hole, scratch in that suit. The only thing out of place is the stitching in the top of the hood where I snagged it, and my face, on a couple big briar stalks.

I wore it the next day in the snow and didn't have a single wet spot on me when I finished.

I'm impressed.

My other discount Plythal gear arrived today so I'm excited to see how it does!

OP
hollarhorns
Do the pants have decent leg zips to get them over boots easily?
Not terrible, not the best. They do zip open completely which is better than my Bass Pro rain pants that have the stupid mesh liner. I wish they zipped open clear to the knee. That being said, I didn't have to fight with them much to get my muck boots through the legs.

OP
hollarhorns
I now have the Plythal Prima Heat bibs, coat, and vest to try out. The fit is a little odd. I'm a 32" waist (but blessed with curves) and a 36" chest. Mens medium tops usually fit semi loose (Im not a fan of screaming tight clothes unless its a base layer). I bought a Large in the bibs . The quality seems top notch. The zippers (and there are a million of them) are all seam taped. Zippers run super smooth. The bibs I would almost call an athletic fit. Granted, I threw them on over a pair of jeans which is never ideal. A little heavier than I had anticipated and the suspender system is junk (the front attachments were so awful I just squeezed into them and wrangled the straps around my arms and head). They do have full foot to hip leg zips though which is awesome.

The vest and coat are pretty basic. The fit is super boxey. I must have fat fingered my order: I wound up with a M vest and L coat (intended to get it the other way around). The coat is pretty long so makes it hard to zip the M over my hips. The vest is shorter so it would fit fine as a M. Same zippers as the pants.

I don't love their house camo (cant recall its name) but should do the job.

All in all, the whole cold weather set up ran me $230. So honestly, if they don't suck and do the job, I'm in it for what a used First Lite Solitude jacket would run me.

Hopefully we will have some more "test your gear" weather blow in and I'll be able to try it all out.

OP
hollarhorns
I don't know if anyone will read this but I got to test my Prima Heat bibs in this arctic blast. Yesterday, it was 10 degrees and snowing with a steady north wind. I wore the bibs over my no-name heavy weight synthetic long john bottoms. I was sweating after 2 swipes with the snow shovel. That's when I realized the hip zipper was two-way: game changer. I unzipped from my hip about 6" and was instantly comfortable. They seem like they will be way too tight when I put them on (very athletic cut) but they were the most comfortable bulky pants I've ever worn. Beat my carhartt bibs by miles.

I wore them with a thin baselayer and fleece pants in -2 degrees in a 15 mph north wind two days prior and didn't get cold once. I sat outside in a lawn chair, just to see, and my hands ran me back inside before I ever even felt a chill anywhere else.

Thanks @hollarhorns! This is EXACTLY the feedback that I was looking to hear. I've been hemming and hawing about what to do over the last year. I think your review just sold me on it. I have been in the market for some cold weather bibs and jacket for a while but I have always been curious about this system. I think it will work perfect for my deer stand sits.

OP
hollarhorns
I think they will work great for that. Thats my intention as well! Id be hesitant to walk to the stand in them if you have far to go, though. They are beyond warm. And I would buy a size up. Maybe two depending on how you layer. I usually wear a mens medium in pants: I got a large and theres not a ton of room under them. But I like to wear my jacket on the outside of my bibs.

OP
hollarhorns
I've never bought it from their website. It's on CamoFire pretty regularly though.

Sled

WKR
I'd imagine their rain gear would be bomber. I tried a few pieces of their plythal tops/jackets from camo fire but couldn't get past the noise level. My carhartts and ski gear is quieter. Probably ok for rifle hunting if your shots are 300+ yards but not going to work for archery or spot and stalk in my neck of the woods.

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
I have the full rut extreme jacket, bought on camofire for i think 109. Its quiet, windproof and a good mid season jacket. I run cold when sitting and need a few layers if its in the 30's. Its not light, but not heavy either. You can Ranger roll it into its hood and its not huge to pack. I normally wear between a medium and large in most tops and bought a large in this, which is about right. For 100 its well worth it. I do need a warmer coat and keep going back and forth between Fanatic, Incinerator and Sanctuary.

OP
hollarhorns
I'd imagine their rain gear would be bomber. I tried a few pieces of their plythal tops/jackets from camo fire but couldn't get past the noise level. My carhartts and ski gear is quieter. Probably ok for rifle hunting if your shots are 300+ yards but not going to work for archery or spot and stalk in my neck of the woods.
I actually have the rain gear and am super impressed with it, so far. It's held up to some abuse from brush and briar thickets. I didn't notice any noise but it was also raining when I wore it so....

How well do the prima heat bibs/pants pack down? I just purchased the nomad hard frost pants to pack in to the stand. They are pretty warm but I see primas have primaloft gold. I’m looking for something that packs similar to down.

OP
hollarhorns
I haven't tried loading mine in the pack so I can't speak to their packability yet.

morgaj1

WKR
How noisy do you find the Prima-heat fabric?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
hollarhorns
The exterior is a brushed material. So not a lot of noise. Pretty quiet for a heavy garment.

foti74

FNG
How well do the prima heat bibs/pants pack down? I just purchased the nomad hard frost pants to pack in to the stand. They are pretty warm but I see primas have primaloft gold. I’m looking for something that packs similar to down.
I packed these in strapped to my climber last season a few times and was not bad. They are bulky but extremely warm. Too warm to wear into the woods in my opinion but once you get to your tree and get into them I felt like I was back at camp in my sleeping bag.

Jusldavi

FNG
Thanks for the review on this stuff just bought the prima heat bibs and jacket off camofire and I'm excited to put it to the test.