Camouflage?

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
How many of you folks feel that camo is needed to hunt the mnts? I'm planning on buying all new hunting clothes for 2013, but with price of this stuff makes me want to use it more than a couple of months out of the year. Does buying natural colors make sense? I would hate to blow a shot at a bull or something just cause I didn't want to look like a redneck the other 10 months of the year.

Craig4791

WKR
If your hunting rifle i think a good set of solids would do you fine. For archery i want the camo to help me blend in.

shanevg

WKR
If you can afford both camo and solids, great. I'm a member of Mountain Rescue so I already have a lot of good backcountry solids gear but I don't get any good discounts on camo. I'm slowly starting to acquire camo over time but I'm still wearing solids more often than not. I always take a loose fitting "leafy" shirt and a face mask and slip them on if I am going in for a stalk. Seems to have worked pretty well so far.

dotman

WKR
I use solids during archery. Same reason as you are thinking, get some more use out of this stuff, and imo it only hides you from people.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hiding from people might be more important than hiding from animals. If your there it must be a great spot right

blb078

WKR
I buy camo only when it's a good deal. I really think it makes little difference. This year while whitetail rifle hunting I was going to use my bow stand, but for some reason I decided to hunt the edge of a field(my stand was 50 yards into the woods off the field) and just pulled up a lawn chair at the edge. Had full orange on and everything. The morning I sat at that spot I had 6 deer(4 smaller bucks, 2 does) come w/in 20 yards of me, 2 of em with in 10 yards. So being on the ground, in a lawn chair(bright ass blue chair at that), and full orange, I have to doubt how effective camo really is.

bobhunts

WKR
I guess if they are like priced and the same quality I will buy the camo. If you want something else then that brings up alot of ideas. Weight, water resistancy, and durability. That brings the whole question up to a new level. Where will you be hunting and the weather you will hunt in? I won't name the brands to use but you can kinda get the idea? It all depends on where you are going and the weather in that spot. I will add just like a skier I don't wear my hunting gear all year. It will last you longer if you just wear the dedicated appearal to the chore of hunting and you will not have to dump more money every couple of years using it that way. Bob.

dotman

WKR
I guess if they are like priced and the same quality I will buy the camo. If you want something else then that brings up alot of ideas. Weight, water resistancy, and durability. That brings the whole question up to a new level. Where will you be hunting and the weather you will hunt in? I won't name the brands to use but you can kinda get the idea? It all depends on where you are going and the weather in that spot. I will add just like a skier I don't wear my hunting gear all year. It will last you longer if you just wear the dedicated appearal to the chore of hunting and you will not have to dump more money every couple of years using it that way. Bob.

Yeah that method doesn't work for us gear freaks :). Wearing stuff out or trying to is a good reason to update :). Plus then I would have multiples in camo and solids, hunting & hiking setup.

Last edited:

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think camo really makes a lick of a diference when hunting from a stand, blind, or long range hunting such as with a rifle. I do believe camo makes a huge difference when your on the ground still hunting, stalking, or turkey hunting. Basically if your going to be in close range and approximate eye level with the animal then you will benefit from camo.

I am a trad archer, and only hunt via still/stalk methods, and I wear camo 100% of the time.