Camp Chef Wood Stove to heat a Wall Tent

For all you wall tent aficionados - would the Camp Chef "Alpine Heavy Duty Cylinder System" barrel stove be sufficient for a 12x14 or 14x16 wall tent - for late season hunting in the Rockies. If you stoked it well and dampered down, would it make through most the night? Here are some specs:

• Dimensions w/racks: 24 in. D x 20 in. W x 22 1/4 in. H
  • Total Capacity: 1.67 ft cubed
  • Shelf/Drying Rack Dimensions: 22 in. x 8.25 in.
  • Chimney: 5 in. diameter, 10 ft. chimney pipe
  • Total Weight: 74 lbs.
It seems like a pretty good buy - what do you think?

I have never used that stove but from the few styles we have used none burn all night. Usually requires a reload in the middle of the night. Not too bad when most of the guys are over 40 because someone usually has to answer nature’s call about the time it needs wood.

Bulldawg

WKR
Like said above, it won’t burn all night, but will burn for a little while. Have a bit of kindling snd fire making stuff next to the stove so in the morning it’s easy to get one going snd crawl back in the fart sack until it warms up. The only stove I have seen burn all night was a giant 55 gallon barrel built to be a stove with an auto damper. We would fill that sucker to the brim going to sleep and a few hours later it was still warm and we would fill it back up snd it would stay warm while we got ready. I don’t know if you can buy them or not or if it was a homemade customs job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kasch

FNG
Just came off the mountain, it was single digits at night and mid teens during the day. I have a 12x20 Alakanak and I used the Camp Chef stove for the first time. The wind chill at night was below zero, so I don't know if anything would have been able to keep up in those temps. I had to stoke the fire every 1.5 hours. I had to keep the stove wide open with the dampers to try to keep it somewhat warm for my two teenage boys. This stove might be ok with temps in the 20's and 30's for our size tent, but it struggled this past weekend. Hope this helps.

I've got quite a few nights in my 12x14 with this stove. Lowest temps I've encountered have been in the teens. It's been a good stove for the price. I usually only use the stove in the evenings when I stoke it before going to bed and let it die out. I don't normally feed it during the night. I'll then fire it up first thing in the morning when we're getting ready to hunt. The quality is pretty decent. I don't have anything else to compare it to but it's served it's purpose. If I had a bigger tent, I would probably go with a bigger/better stove like a 4 dogs.

OP
G
Everyone talks about adding a stove gasket but the door only has about 3/8" max for a flat gasket and I can't find a flat one that narrow anywhere.

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
We use that stove in the big horn 3. Provides all the heat you'll need in cold temps. During the night it needs attention every two hours or so if you want to keep the place warm. I wish it was bigger.

I’m a giant fan of camp chef products. The company was started just down the road and I have used different products of theirs for a lot of years.

But these wood stoves leave a lot to be desired when compared to other brands.

I feel like the reason they do not last the night, they are undersized, and they leak a lot of air.

OP
G
Well I'm going to give this stove a try, at least for this season. I will say the legs couldn't be any cheesier. Just thumb set screws if you move the stove they fall off. So I got 2" bolts and drilled all the way through to secure.

The thread-on pipe legs everyone else uses seem pretty tried and true and probably cheaper to manufacture than this system I don't get it. And I found some 1/2" flat stove gasket on ebay I'm going to add. If it sucks I'll upgrade next year.

Gila

WKR
Well I'm going to give this stove a try, at least for this season. I will say the legs couldn't be any cheesier. Just thumb set screws if you move the stove they fall off. So I got 2" bolts and drilled all the way through to secure.

The thread-on pipe legs everyone else uses seem pretty tried and true and probably cheaper to manufacture than this system I don't get it. And I found some 1/2" flat stove gasket on ebay I'm going to add. If it sucks I'll upgrade next year.
Like my stove...works great. Once you get the stove pipe on, there is no reason to move the stove. I use pliers to tighten the legs. I don't need a gasket. You can get that stove really hot. Build up some coals, reduce the air flow a bit and it will keep the tent warm most of the night. My tent has a heavy duty floor which helps to insulate. I put a welders blanket under the stove to protect it.