Camp coffee

French press is my first choice. However, coffee at camp goes something like this. Light stove, put peculator with coffee/water on, lay back in bed, forget about coffee until pot starts boiling over, drink whatever comes out.... Repeat.. I think because its something warm the taste doesn't really matter.

For backpacking I keep it light. Starbucks via packs or black rifle coffe packs called black powder.

For a fireside I like a French press. Percolators work fine too and have nostalgia but a stainless French press is my pick.

If you are truck camping, a small generator and a portable kcup machine or real drip coffee maker will make you a hero.

I tried the Folgers insta-packs on my last trip. Found that I had to use multiple packs to get a decent flavor. Boil water and throw in the packets, easy peasy...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Easier and much much cheaper to just gulp a Walmart caffeine pill, about 3.5 pennies per equivalent cup. Starbucks Via is 1730% more expensive per serving.

Uhhhhh.......that's like telling us to just grab some rice cakes instead of that prime ribeye because they're so much cheaper.

I don't drink coffee because I need a caffeine pill, I drink coffee because I ENJOY drinking coffee. And when hunting it's always Starbucks VIA Italian Roast. If one wanted to they could also just bring a Bialetti and make excellent Espresso in camp, or water it down into American coffee.

Starbucks Via instant coffee has made me lazy in recent years. I love good ol' cowboy coffee and percolator coffee, but boiling some water in my cup and dumping in a Via pack sure is easy.
That's what I used this year, much easier than the jetboil French press.

Cowboy coffee n camp. Grounds in bottom of pot, fill with cold water bring to boil for a minute and take off heat, pour in a cup of cold water to settle grounds, serve a minute later.

ramses342

FNG
I have an aeropress and man that thing makes some killer coffee. I sometimes bring it sometimes but I go instant coffee if I am trying to be super weight conscious.

prm

WKR
^^^The Aeropress makes a great cup of coffee! Just a little harder to clean in the back country which leads me to using a v60.

robtattoo

WKR
20191230_124139.jpg

This rascal's awesome for the truck or camp. If you're really THAT bad at coffee, you can use K-cups. Otherwise, fill the filter in the bottom, fill with boiling water, place on cup & push down on the pump.
Poor mans cheater aero-press.

i count eye guards

Lil-Rokslider
I'm an absolute coffee snob. I buy mine from a small local roaster at $20/ pound, grind it with a burr grinder, and brew with a French press.

When hunting/ camping I go with four sigmatic mushroom coffee instant latte. It absolutely lights you up, and it carries a little extra calories (which I need desperately when I'm out on the trail). Not the best coffee, but it's tasty none the less.

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
Easier and much much cheaper to just gulp a Walmart caffeine pill, about 3.5 pennies per equivalent cup. Starbucks Via is 1730% more expensive per serving.

A Walmart caffeine pill???? Yeah, that sounds satisfying.

Extrapale

WKR
1. French Press. Practice at home. Not completely fool proof, but it is hard to screw up.

2. Pour over. Even less skill required. Again, practice at home.

3. Instant coffee. Only for back packing IMO.

4. Percolator. This is a skill. Practice at home. I like to perk it the night before, then, just warm it up in the AM.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
1. French Press. Practice at home. Not completely fool proof, but it is hard to screw up.

2. Pour over. Even less skill required. Again, practice at home.

3. Instant coffee. Only for back packing IMO.

4. Percolator. This is a skill. Practice at home. I like to perk it the night before, then, just warm it up in the AM.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Pour over is great but to do it right you really need a gooseneck teapot, makes it much easier.

A Walmart caffeine pill???? Yeah, that sounds satisfying.

See, you need to actually read the post and the quote to understand my post. My post about taking a caffeine pill was an alternative to the post that said guys were dumping instant coffee on their tongues and washing it down. This one (which was quoted in my post):

"I read somewhere that guys will pour the instant coffee straight into their mouth and chase it down with water. I tried that for the first and last time this past season. . . Yuck! "

If you are going to dump and rinse instant coffee, it's cheaper and easier to just take a pill.

Last edited:

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
See, you need to actually read the post and the quote to understand my post. My post was in response to the post that said guys were dumping instant coffee on their tongues and washing it down. This one (which was quoted in my post):

"I read somewhere that guys will pour the instant coffee straight into their mouth and chase it down with water. I tried that for the first and last time this past season. . . Yuck! "
Dry instant coffee in my mouth and chase it down with water?? Something I think I will pass on trying.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Stainless steel double wall French press. Heat water on stove, add to appropriate amount of coffee in French press, wait 5 minutes, press and enjoy. Coffee isn’t worth skimping on!