Camp coffee

In base camp, it's hard to go wrong with a pour-through cone filter and about any decent coffee. In the backcountry, it's instant, Via if you like it black or you can get single-serve instant coffee with creamer and sugar off amazon. There are a lot of options out there, just keep trying until you find something that works for you.

Trial153

WKR
Trader Joe's with the premixed creamer and sugar is decent. I find I need two per about 10oz to make it palatable for me.
Starbucks and BRC are always a go too at this point. I dont figure price into the equation at all .

mmeyer214

FNG
Buddy and I are doing first backpack hunt in May so I've been trying different ones to see what I like.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MtnOyster

WKR
CAMP COFFEE 101
I know exactly what you mean, but here’s how I make good camp coffee and I use a cabelas camp coffee pot that you use over a burner, any percolator type coffee pot is fine, doesn’t have to be cabelas.

1: I always take scissors a week or two before I go hunting and cut coffee filters down and poke a hole in the center of the filter so it will fit over the percolator tube and sit down in the metal coffee filter basket, that’s pretty much eliminates most coffee grounds from getting in the coffee you might get a few but most of the time coffee is pretty clean, I’ll prolly cut 15-20 filters for a 2 week trip.

2: DO NOT over percolate coffee if you do it will taste like crap, your basically cooking it if you let it percolate too long, once you see it start dancing through the clear knob at the top of the pot I let it perk for about 3 min, I think 5 min is too long, remember your boiling water that’s turning into coffee, if you boil too long you start burning the coffee that’s already been through the percolator, give yourself some practice runs at home, heck I make it from time to time out in my shop just to remind me of being out there hunting.
Cut some filters and give it a few try’s you’ll get it figured out and be making good camp coffee in no time.13B665F3-D5DE-4FAE-807C-A5B9D45E7C22.jpeg

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
CAMP COFFEE 101
I know exactly what you mean, but here’s how I make good camp coffee and I use a cabelas camp coffee pot that you use over a burner, any percolator type coffee pot is fine, doesn’t have to be cabelas.

1: I always take scissors a week or two before I go hunting and cut coffee filters down and poke a hole in the center of the filter so it will fit over the percolator tube and sit down in the metal coffee filter basket, that’s pretty much eliminates most coffee grounds from getting in the coffee you might get a few but most of the time coffee is pretty clean, I’ll prolly cut 15-20 filters for a 2 week trip.

2: DO NOT over percolate coffee if you do it will taste like crap, your basically cooking it if you let it percolate too long, once you see it start dancing through the clear knob at the top of the pot I let it perk for about 3 min, I think 5 min is too long, remember your boiling water that’s turning into coffee, if you boil too long you start burning the coffee that’s already been through the percolator, give yourself some practice runs at home, heck I make it from time to time out in my shop just to remind me of being out there hunting.
Cut some filters and give it a few try’s you’ll get it figured out and be making good camp coffee in no time.View attachment 143741
That's how we made coffee on the Boy Scout camp outs I went on with my son. One of the dads had the
process perfected. I miss the camp outs.

CAMP COFFEE 101

Cut some filters and give it a few try’s you’ll get it figured out and be making good camp coffee in no time.View attachment 143741
This is how I make coffee at home all the time. Nothing else comes close to the taste. I have the heat on high until it starts to bubble up thru the tube. Then I turn it to the lowest setting and its just enough to keep it perking. I usually go about 6-7 min. But the way I run the heat, the water temp never goes above 190-195 degrees so it wont burn the coffee. Also, if you buy a pack of the 4 cup pot filters, they will fit with no trimming. Just poke the hole in the bottom for the tube,

Trader Joes sells instant coffee packs with sugar, powdered milk and instant coffee. They are absolutely delicious and I can believe more back country guys aren't using them. 10 packets for $1.99

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Tried those and I thought they were awful.

I spent about 5 months trying different backcountry coffee solutions, and the final one I came up with was Starbucks Via instant. Tiny, lightweight, very little trash and tastes like the real thing. I've been using them ever since. Some of the stuff I tried that was marketed as "the answer" for backcountry coffee was downright disgusting.

drxron

FNG
Never had the Black Rifle coffee sticks but would love to try them. Ive used the Cafe Bustelo single serve packets which are fairly inexpensive and good. Also Deathwish Coffee makes the instant coffee sticks with 300mg of caffeine if you really need some octane in the morning.

tdot

WKR
I’m so terrible at making coffee at camp it’s not even drinkable. I’ve tried it on a flat top stove, tried it with my MSR stove, tried it on the fire always tastes bad. How in the heck do y’all make good camp coffee and what method do y’all use?

Help me stop disappointing my hunting partners.

Dont use boiling water to make coffee, it ruins it. I dont remember the perfect temperature. but I just watch my pot of water and guage it by the tiny bubbles that start forming. Or boil a small amount and add cold water to suit, before adding it to the coffee.

Last edited:
I just returned from Italy for work. The instant coffee was amazing... I took a picture of it just for the purpose of backcountry hunting. It was Nescafe Classic in a slender little single pack. I think I just found it on Amazon, and I think the reviews confirm that. Its definitely worth a shot.

NDGuy

WKR
Aeropress. Worth a few ounces. The fastest easiest way to a B+ cup of coffee with zero thought.
That system works pretty slick, my only complaint is the tube is so tiny it can barely make a 12 oz cup of coffee. I usually pour two helpings of water into it.