Camp coffee

VIA for years and years. Nothing weighs less. Nothing takes less work and produces less cleanup. Nothing is quicker and gets me hunting faster. I won't try to compare it to percolated coffee, but I find it 100% acceptable.

Watch Kent Rollins Youtube video Cowboy Coffee. Never made it but it sure makes me want to try some.

Moserkr

WKR
Second vote for Mount Hagen. Read a bunch of reviews and tried a lot of brands before I settled on it. Im a coffee snob at home and on the trail. Its instant and ultralight, and very high quality. Make sure to use water thats not quite boiling. I take 1 packet per day and it starts my day right.

Wright406

WKR
Also GSI outdoors makes a french press cup combo for like 25$, been using it on my deployment everyday and it's a perfect in the hills french press.

chadallan

FNG
Starbucks Via instant coffee has made me lazy in recent years. I love good ol' cowboy coffee and percolator coffee, but boiling some water in my cup and dumping in a Via pack sure is easy.

i do it this way

Beendare

WKR
I like my French press. REI sells a couple models....even insulated.

Boil water, add you favorite coffee in coarse grind to taste, [I add about a 1/3rd cup grinds to 1 quart of water] let it sit for a couple minutes , push down the strainer .......and its the best coffee around.

______

French press and Jetboil is preferred.
Going to pick up some of those Trader Joe's insta packs and give em a try.

I will drink it black, but when weight allows, I like to mix some real maple syrup with half & half in a small bottle. A shameless decadent luxury.

I use instant coffee. Its a lot easier to make when you dont have the right equipment to make great coffee. It doesnt really matter for me as long as I have a cup of coffee before I go out metal detecting.

Last edited:

rj2

WKR
I've used Foldgers Singles before. They are like a tea-bag with coffee grounds. I would usually leave them in a good big longer than it says or use 2 pouches to make it a little stronger.

Alright, here's a new one: just carry liquid espresso shots. Before I leave for a trip I pull about three shots per day, bottle immediately and chill. Bottling them immediately catches all the aromatics and chilling just helps preserve the flavor. Then just heat up some water just above drinking temperature and mix in three shots, instant Americano. This year I'm gong to try individually packing days in squeeze pouches. If you don't have an espresso machine you can just swing by your favorite coffee shop and ask them to pull the number of shots you need, if you explain what you're doing they'll be relatively inexpensive.
Someone mentioned to "not boil" the water because it ruins the coffee, and it is true if you get the water too hot it'll taste bitter (too cold tastes sour) but above about 6000 feet you can't actually get the water too hot because the boiling temp drops.