Camp Fires while hunting... Yay or Nay??

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am usually ready to eat and sleep, so generally no camp fires here either. I also don't think it makes to much difference to the animals.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sometimes I have been forced to make a fire while glassing as it has just been to damn cold if I don't.

DSC00916.jpg

DSC00899.jpg

Pueblo

FNG
Who has the time? I come stumbling back to camp after dark and I'm ready to eat and drink...then refill the day pack with water and food. I may have a few minutes to stargaze or read a book in the tent by headlamp. I'd love to have one and will treat myself at the end of the hunt, successful or not if I have the time.

Never worried too much about the smoke smell, but we often camp and hunt above or in the tundra where fires arent possible.

A tip for the Alaska hunters: the braided moss found on the north slope and above timberline in much of the interior lights easily and burns with a hot flame. I don't have a really good photo of the plant , but it grows in long strands (often in rocky areas) that look like flat braids.

The smoke is nasty, but it will dry your socks out or boil water for a meal when your stove fails. The stuff made life much more bearable while sheep hunting during a freak August cold snap a few years ago.

IMG_1480.jpg

Yk

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
A tip for the Alaska hunters: the braided moss found on the north slope and above timberline in much of the interior lights easily and burns with a hot flame. I don't have a really good photo of the plant , but it grows in long strands (often in rocky areas) that look like flat braids.

The smoke is nasty, but it will dry your socks out or boil water for a meal when your stove fails. The stuff made life much more bearable while sheep hunting during a freak August cold snap a few years ago.

Yk

Great tip YK, thanks!

ElkNut1

WKR
Absolutely, have had countless fires in the high country. I don't worry about spooking game, generally an Indian fire though!

ElkNut1

billy molls

Super Moderator
Very cool tip... thanks for sharing.

IMG_1480.jpg

Yk

bobhunts

WKR
I guess I would say as far as a fire it depends on where I hunt. If on a backpack type of hunt not usually as others have said just a little chow out of the mtn house bag and bed. But if doing a weekend hunt from a base camp yes ..every time. Gives you time to shoot the bull while getting everything ready for the next day. Lots of good chat time about life in general and maybe a discussion about the days hunt.

R

rebecca francis

That's awesome Becca! We never have a fire while bowhunting but occasionally we will make one on the rifle hunt if it is later in the year and the weather is colder. Most of the time we don't have time to mess with it either, but a celebration fire with meat from the harvest is always something to look forward to.