Camp location question

mooster

WKR
so just want some input on possible camp locations as I pour over my sat imagery.
so on hypothetical moose lake shown, would you camp and call from A, B, or C?
I would possibly think C even though I can't see the rest of the lake, but can see a focused area.
There's no elevation here to utilize, all area around our lake is basically flat.

Or, would it be best to perhaps locate at B so we could call & about see the whole lake from camp? This is how we’ve hunted the last two years, camped with the wind in mind but afforded the most visibility of shoreline favoring areas we thought were key.

Or to put it simpler, is being able to see more, more important that sitting on what I expect is likely prime moose area. (BTW, this is just a screen snap of a random lake 100's of miles from our hunt location)

Edited to add: use packrafts for mobility on the lake and moose transport. (Alpacka Forager & Kokopelli)
moose lake.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve never been, but being able to glass as much as possible is only meaningful if you’re looking at an area likely to hold moose.

I think point C is your most likely moose habitat as I can see outflow is somewhat braided. Just need to find some elevation in there somewhere.

Maybe include satellite imagery as well so we can get an idea of likely vegetation, swampy areas, etc.

100% novice here!

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I've only been on a couple moose hunts but from everything i've read and told is you want elevation for glassing and calling. If you can get your sound to carry farther that's always better!

OP
mooster

mooster

WKR
I hunt with a packraft so we’re mobile.

On last two lake hunts I took a saddle but never used it as you could see fine from the waters edge.

First year we killed on in a grassy area behind camp. Last year we spotted one across the lake and paddled over to judge the rack and make a shot on him.

Last two hunts we camp based on visibility of the most shoreline and called from camp morning and evening. Just wondering if I’m being ignorant as I only know what I know, and we’ve only taken one bull per hunt w/ch I think is normal.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
You're very experienced twincedar, and it's a fun question you're asking. I've noticed that my mind keeps going to many other unknown and decisive variables in formulation of my answer. However, letting those go, and keeping it simple LOL...

I'd also go with B for a camp location. When I'm dropped on a lake in the middle of good moose numbers, I like calling from camp because the moose are all around me. Often times the wind is changing when I'm out there. A camp at location B is midway on the lake, which gives me either left or right to direct my calls up-wind to the lake based upon the wind direction during that calling session. I also like seeing as much of the lake shore as I can when calling because I've often seen bulls come to the lake edge to look when responding to a call.

By contrast, if I'm camped at A or C locations and the wind is to my back as I face the lake, it could limit my option to directing my calls away from the lake or move to the other side of the lake, which might be just fine...just not my preference.

BTW...good on you for bringing a pack-raft...I don't lake drop hunt without one!

Last edited:

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Thx AKDOC. Yes, the packrafts are the bomb. great for hunting, exploring and portaging. I use a Forager w/1,000 lb. capacity.
Well said...and a good choice with the Forager. Alpaca makes a great product. I bring my trusted PR-49HD, which has served me real well for the lake drops and more. Very remote, long distance pack-raft trips are my most favorite adventures up here, and it's fly-fishing heaven...got another hundred-mile'r scheduled in August!
IMG_2307.jpgIMG_1748.JPG

OP
mooster

mooster

WKR
Well said...and a good choice with the Forager. Alpaca makes a great product. I bring my trusted PR-49HD, which has served me real well for the lake drops and more. Very remote, long distance pack-raft trips are my most favorite adventures up here, and it's fly-fishing heaven...got another hundred-mile'r scheduled in August!
View attachment 412160View attachment 412161
wow those some pretty pics. the Alpacka is quite different from the PR, but more than adequate for the lake hunts and weight restrictions we face. Also, Alpacka even has a BHA series tailored to back country applications.

ppumil

FNG
if you are using a transporter I am willing to bet he can help with camp location. They have flown em and they know em. I agree with AK on mid lake with calling. We lucked out on last hunt in the fact we were on one end of the lake due to logistics around the lake and were able to call the bull around to camp for a shot. Almost all the other bulls were behind us and we had one in range there also. A raft makes life easier. Being able to gain some elevation makes all the difference also for spotting and calling. Topo maps are the king.
I have limited experience but each time you learn more. If I can hike up a few hundred feet right by camp that is worth it. also the outlets can be bear spots and I just don't like em!!. Fish em don't camp em!!! HA!
The planning is fun man enjoy it and remember no matter where you start you can move!! Ok that sounds real easy but is not. HA!!

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
I see no reason not to choose B. The only reason I wouldnt is if that lake is big, and your worried about weather kicking up and not being able to use the raft at all.
All my hunts are on lakes, but the biggest lake would be 5-6km across, so we almost always situate our camps in the middle of the lakes.

OP
mooster

mooster

WKR
Thx. Good input. One reason we’re considering a new lake this year is we were looking for a more narrow lake to reduce the winds. Your right that paddling the rafts in heavy winds is challenging. The high free board is like a sail.