Camp meat

Do any of you do any planning to provide camp meat while you're in the back country?

Either fish, small game, or a small deer during a split season, it seems like if you have the means it would provide some great relief from dehydrated foods and granola bars.

I know how much extra work is required to clean and prepare game in the wilderness, and how little extra time and energy is available, but it seems like that could also add another dimension to the hunt.

Obviously I am referring to legal game in season.

Tim M

Lil-Rokslider
I typically shoot any grouse that I can while I am up hunting and normally while I am scouting in the summer I will bring my fly rod with to supplement a dried meal but I don't count on having anything extra, just enjoy it when I do. Especially the first meal off of a big game animal when I have been up there for a while!

BCrob

FNG
I think it would be a great supplement to the food I brought. It's just too bad you can't bank on getting something thus being able to go in with a lighter backpack load.I would bring a collapsible fishing rod if I knew I would be around lakes that held fish..

When I go moose hunting in Canada I always eat smallmouth every other day. I never get sick of it.

We usually do up some backstrap in the field, if we're lucky enough to kill something. It's kind of like one of those celebratory, success meals.
da383c37f0c09e42ba8b1299bf4ffc69.jpg

db986fc806b594115d758a056e9ae64d.jpg

OP
F
what is your method of harvesting grouse? Archery tackle? Do you take a small caliber gun with you? Anyone setting snares? Is that even legal?

hodgeman

WKR
I shoot grouse and ptarmigan as a target of opportunity. If we have several folks along, someone will tote a shotgun in lieu of a rifle and just share a rifle for big game.

One heavier trips (basecamp, etc) we always have a shotgun or .22 in camp as well as fishing gear. I've shot birds with pretty much everything going- centerfire (head shot), rimfire, shotgun, archery, thrown rock. You can snare them in AK if you want but finding a couple to pop isn't too hard in some areas.

A ruffed grouse or ptarmigan roasted and chopped up into a MH "Pasta Primavera" is some dang good eating after a couple days of dehydrated grub.

dog812

WKR
I have killed grouse using big rocks, just knock them down and run up and twist.
I also carry a sling shot and just use rocks on the trail. The sling shot doesn't weigh anything.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Always carry a shotgun or handgun for bear protection and usually take along birdshot for ptarmigan. Usually good for a little extra protein during the hunt.
1a54543200dfc167e62ed41ade37bf89.jpg

f1f3ee513bdd8d1976fdb2ebbfd74b7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F
I might just have to add a .22 to my pack for next season. That video of the grouse being processed in about a minute is pretty impressive.