Camp on your back style hunting tent

UA_Blake

FNG
I decided to change hunting tactics this year. Instead of camping at the trail head I want to start carrying camp on my back. I’m looking at three different tent setups currently. Only me in the tent not a hunting partner. The Kuiu Mountain Star is my top pick for small footprint ease of setup and weight. Seems like the extra room inside with two small vestibules would be ample space. The Hilleberg Nallo GT is nice but I am reluctant to spend that much money and probably has more room than I need. The other setup I like is the Nemo Kodiak or the Kunai. I want to know opinions from someone who has used these tents if possible. Thanks!

fatlander

WKR
Where and when you’re hunting should weigh heavy in your shelter decision. Where are you going to be, and what time of the year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
Agree with fatlander.

One thing I'll say is most of the tents you list except the kuiu are front entry tents. I absolutely hate front entry tents and will never buy one again unless I go to Alaska and then I might go with a hilleburg.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have the Nallo 3 GT & although its probably the best quality tent I've ever owned it wouldn't be my choice for that scenario. It's heavy (7 lbs) and long (13'+) so depending on the terrain you may not have the room to pitch it where you want

OP
UA_Blake

UA_Blake

FNG
I would use this tent for mid to late October hunts in Idaho. Terrain usually doesn’t support a large footprint unless you dedicate part of your day to finding a large flat spot

snel6424

FNG
Do you use trekking poles at all? If you do, have you considered tents that set up with said trekking poles? Tents like the Durston X-Mid if you want great price/performance ratio, the Lanshan 2 for best price, or some like Z-packs ultraplex for ultra light weight. Using a trekking pole style tent can dramatically cut down on weight.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I use a Seek Outside Silvertip and my trekking poles are my center pole. As I carry the trekking poles regardless, I don't count them as part of my shelter weight. With tent stakes, guy lines, and SO's trekking pole hitch it comes in at 37.6 ounces. Not the lightest set up, but not heavy. Especially considering that it is 4 season capable and has held up under snow loads and heavy winds without issue for me.

TBHasler

WKR
Tarptent SS1

This. I have the Stratospire I. Plenty of room for one plus more gear than you can carry in two huge vestibules. Trekking pole pitch (2). About 32-36 ounces depending on stakes and has held up in strong winds, hail, snow. Pretty much a 4 season capable tent. For fair weather conditions or early season, you can drop the inner and go floorless to drop weight to 24ish ounces.

OP
UA_Blake

UA_Blake

FNG
That tarptent has my interest peaked for sure. It just seems like the mountain star might be better equipped for bad weather. Anybody have first hand experience with the mountain star?

fatlander

WKR
I’d go with something like the seek silex w/ a stove jack personally. They have a nest option if you don’t want to be flourless during the warmer months, and you have the ability to run a stove during the colder months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My Hilleberg is a great tent but it pretty much only goes along for float hunts or hunts where I'm not packing camp every day, it weighs ~7-8lbs. To be fair, I've weathered out some pretty gnarly storms with it. I like that stone glacier tent as well as the MSR stuff. Right now I'm thinking I want to get a DCF shelter, maybe a SO cimmaron.

OP
UA_Blake

UA_Blake

FNG
Update: I got a brand new seek outside LBO base and vestibule for $200 off Craigslist. Wasn’t what I set out to buy but it was too good to pass up. Already have a stove I use for my redcliff. Just need to pick up a nest for when I take my boy camping (5 years old). Thanks for the advice!