Camp Setup

coOverwatch

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all,

Thought I would pose the question to everyone and find out if anyone is religious about how they set up base camp.
Example… entrance to their tent is always pointing south, east, west. Cook setup to the right of the tent… to the left.

I really never gave it too much thought and will be hunting with some others this year and there seemed to be some
discussion that they always pointed the entrance to the wall tent to the south and god forbid if it was not set up just right.
:)

flat ground with the tent vesti to the lee side. with the best sleeping spots lined up.

elk camp with the wall tent is different as it gets much more involved but thats mostly due to the hugeness of that setup...

OP
C

coOverwatch

Lil-Rokslider
that's what i thought. usualy just drop my two man down on flat ground and climb in. Got a wall tent after last year as my brother in laws were going to come out. They cancled so my boss and two guys i go bird hunting with wanted to pull resources and go. things right now are starting to get shaky with them and it might just be me. think they might have been yanking my chain.... but the one guy pulled out all kinds of stats how the yurts (sp) are usually all set up with the doorway to the south. figured whatever floats your boat... i will be the one getting there early and setting up camp.. if you don't like it you can sleep under the stars.... :-0

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I just lay my stuff out in a good flat spot and go to sleep.

IMG_0070.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Oh come on you guys, flat ground is totally overrated. Just a place that the tent can cling to and still hold you inside of it is all ya need :D

P8100049-c_zps33cd08a5.jpg

P8100069_zps118504e7.jpg

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
How did I know that would be Luke's tent stapled to that slope? Nice view in the morn I bet.

That was one of our worst picks to put camp ever! Had to use our backpacks to shim up the sleeping area so we didn't roll down the hill...got the job done though.

We only crossed about 5 flat spots within a 1/4 mile of where we stopped when we left the next morning :)

Oh come on you guys, flat ground is totally overrated. Just a place that the tent can cling to and still hold you inside of it is all ya need :D

P8100049-c_zps33cd08a5.jpg

We call those "Slant Camps" from Pat McManus description of various camp types:

"The Slant Camp" - The commonest of all types of camps used in the mountains, the slant camp is the source of several interesting phenomenon, one of which is that anytime something is dropped it falls horizontally. Several times I myself have seen men encased in sleeping bags shoot out the side of a slant camp tent like a burial at sea. One of the drawbacks to the slant camp is that by the middle of the night all the sleep hunters are stacked on one another at the low side of the tent. And the guy at the bottom is always the one that drank a beer before turning in."

- Pat Mcmanus

Personally the top things I look for are prevailing wind direction (especially in the mountains) and drainage. Don't to spend the night listening to the tent flap more than needed, and also don't want to wake up in a lake. A minimum of boulders is nice if I can get it. other than that.....

Yk

Last edited:

Hardstalk

WKR
Ah. Pat mcmanus a wise man indeed! Im currently reading a fine and pleasant misery. My wife groans while trying to fall asleep as im laughing hysterically.

Sorry for the off topic.

swat8888

WKR
Different color SL5, same nasty hill spot....tundra was nice and fluffy so it actually wasn't all that bad.

Attachments

• hill camping.jpg
    hill camping.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 42