Camp shoes and socks?

Doing a 1st half of Sept drop hunt in W Alaska next year. I’ve seen a lot of folks recommending crocs or croc imitation for camp shoes. I realize feet need to be aired out and cleaned between hunts. Are folks wearing these barefoot around camp or with socks? 30 degrees is a bit chilly for barefoot in my mind. Or do the foam crocs provide insulation and heels keep feet warm?

mcseal2

WKR
I use Tingley ultralight rubber boots cut off just past ankle height and thick socks. Buy the boots a size big so they are easy to slide off and on. Everyone in our group appreciated them being by the tent door when they had to pee at night. Almost as light as Crocs but warmer and waterproof. Cut around the ankle they let some air in too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When it's cold, I don't take my boots off at camp other than when in tipi with stove going. I don't take the crocs on the colder hunts. When it is archery season and usually milder weather, I will take them. If it gets cold on these archery hunts, I will set camp first, gather wood or what ever and then croc up. If still cold leave my socks on and walk around camp in crocs/socks as the sweat is usually wicked out of the socks by then. I utilize the breaks in the day to air out and then at night laying on my pad in front of fire.

I wear my camp shoes (Croc knockoffs), around camp with socks. If it’s wet out, I’ll wear waterproof socks. I usually want to get out of my boots as soon as I can.

OP
P
I wear my camp shoes (Croc knockoffs), around camp with socks. If it’s wet out, I’ll wear waterproof socks. I usually want to get out of my boots as soon as I can.

What waterproof socks you like? I bought some sealskinz that seem pretty nice and would work around camp in crocs I think.

Figured I’d wear NRS Boundry socks with wading boots and thin merino liner on days the waders aren’t needed. They neoprene and and seem like too much for crocs.

I like crocs when weight is an issue and/or if I'm not packing rubber boots. Crocs are a game changer for sheep/goat hunting. But for things like moose hunting, I pack my xtra tuffs anyways so they are also my camp shoes.

OP
P
I like crocs when weight is an issue and/or if I'm not packing rubber boots. Crocs are a game changer for sheep/goat hunting. But for things like moose hunting, I pack my xtra tuffs anyways so they are also my camp shoes.
Will be moose hunting out of Orvis Ultralight wading boots. Crocs and sealskinz seem like a pretty decent camp combo.

OP
P
Ya, if you have no use for rubber boots, then I would go crocs. Really no wrong answer between the two
Figure I’ll do my known dirty work in my hunting gear ( getting water, finding wood, hunting, cooking away from camp) and then when it’s time to quit for a little rest switch over to the light weight croc set up for a few hours.

Have never done this so just trying to think it all through. Most anything can be tolerated for a day or even 2, but obviously there’s no truck to walk back to on this trip.

Depending on conditions when camping out of the truck I wear crocs with or without darn tough wool socks, Xtra tuff 6” or 12” deck boots when wet, or ugg boots when cold and dry. Usually crocs are the go to in dry warmer conditions but they go along regardless since they’re perfect for when nature calls in the middle of the night or to find a spot to sit and put boots on in the morning without get your feet dirty first.

I wear these because they are the lightest option I could find that were waterproof, would stay on my feet for creek crossings, and are a material that doesn’t absorb water.

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
6B119F75-CFC6-4A86-BAA5-CDCAEBA39D77.jpeg These Baffin booties are pretty nice in camp. Can get on amazon.

richyrich408

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone use some cheap river shoes and have a suggestion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro