Camp shoes

swat8888

WKR
Just picked up some vivo ultra pures....8.2oz and they lace up for water crossings. Can't wait to use them, crocs are out...1/4lb heavier. Only downfall of vivoes is the sole is very thin.

slim9300

WKR
Hell mine are 15oz...then again I have some flippers for feet!

Mine are size large. Yours must be XL. I wear an 11 in boots but the XL is a tad big and the Large is a tad small. I figured it would be better if my feet didn't slide around but in return I get bad hot spots on the top and front of my middle toe when I use my Crocs for extended periods of time. Lol.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Yep I dumped my crocs in favor of 8 oz shoes that I can lace up as well. Only got one trip in with these new camp shoes, but I already MUCH prefer them to crocs. Aside from the weight savings they are more comfy and more secure to be used for creek crossings.

slim9300

WKR
Yep I dumped my crocs in favor of 8 oz shoes that I can lace up as well. Only got one trip in with these new camp shoes, but I already MUCH prefer them to crocs. Aside from the weight savings they are more comfy and more secure to be used for creek crossings.

Which ones? I'm pretty much sold on the NB Minimus at about 8-9 ounces. I like the idea of something that doesn't give me blisters or let in small rocks. Lol. Plus, I was thinking they would make great stalking shoes.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine are size large. Yours must be XL. I wear an 11 in boots but the XL is a tad big and the Large is a tad small. I figured it would be better if my feet didn't slide around but in return I get bad hot spots on the top and front of my middle toe when I use my Crocs for extended periods of time. Lol.

Mine are size 12, I usually wear a 13 but the 13's were to big. They weren't sized by Large or XL, they were actual shoe sizes...

swat8888

WKR
The minimus do look better than my vivo's...enclosed fully, whereas mine have a ton of holes and would let small rocks in. I wouldn't dare wear them in southern AZ with all the cacti and rough stuff for a stalk. anywhere else I'll definitely wear them. And the vivo's are about half price of the NB's. Picked me up on sale from backcountry for $45. Find NB on sale in a few months and that would be the best of both worlds. IMHO

Bighorse

WKR
Vibram 5 finger mulitsport shoes for me this year. I'm liking the quick draining and drying aspect of them. I intend on using them while packrafting out my mt. goat when I anticipate having to mount and dismount the raft frequently to deal with skinny water and obsitcals.

Never been a crocs fan as I think they're bulky and I don't like open hole design. But....
I did find some super light "Cushe" M Slipper Shoes slip-ons I think would be great for UL camp shoes.
They weight nothing, foam sole, canvas top, wide toe area, super....Cushe! Figured I could WP treat them for a bit more morning dew protection .... or not. They run about 8oz/pair and should flatten nicely in the pack. I might add a finger loop to the heel so I can clip them on outside of pack to dry and/or be more handy should I need to ford a creek or go for a swim.
Ran across them while on vacation at the "Derr Sportsmann" in Leavenworth, WA but I see REI has them as well.
Anyway just another option for those who don't care for Croc's.
Hunt'nFish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj0Q32dt3sg

Cushe M Slipper Shoes....~8oz ....~$50
Cushe_CusheSlipperBestSellingShoe.jpg

Last edited:

colonel00

WKR
Those Cushe shoes do look interesting. I have seen them at Cabela's but the $50 price kept me from looking much further. Then again, I have considered the vivobarefoot shoes which are more expensive and offer less protection. I was always worried that if I got them and had to cross a stream then they would catch small rocks and such. The Cushe at least would keep some debris out.