Camp shoes

rodney482

WKR
crocks?

I took some aqua socks last year that worked great, weighed about nothing but took forever
to dry.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I prefer to just take a set of insulated camp booties (I think we have a variety by wiggy's, cabelas, and Sierra designs floating around in our gear closet). Very packable and lightweight, moisture resistant but still insulate even if they get damp...mostly use them in the shelter, or to go outside in the evening. If walking around the campsite a lot I usually just wear my boots tied loosely. I stopped wearing crocs a few years ago, as they either don't breathe (if you go with a holeless model) or get your socks wet if the grass is damp (the holey kind). Plus they have almost no traction on wet grass or tundra. Know there are lots of diehard croc fans out there, so just my $0.02.

If we are pack rafting or crossing a lot of deep creeks I usually bring a set of lightweight sneakers along anyway, and they can double as camp shoes.

hodgeman

WKR
I like Crocs for wearing around camp...they aren't great for walking very much but for piddling around camp they're good. I've also used them for calm stream crossings with a lot of success.

aggieland

WKR
I had crocks. But now i'm considering using my Five fingers shoes. They are super light weight and also would be awesome on a stalk..

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
I had crocks. But now i'm considering using my Five fingers shoes. They are super light weight and also would be awesome on a stalk..

i've tried using my VFF's stalking deer and pigs here.....not a good choice if there's a lot of cactus.

strawman

Lil-Rokslider

Yep, I'm going to bring Merrell Trail gloves this year. Super light...and actually functional away from camp itself.

JDC

FNG
Crocs here. i use them for deeper creek/river crossings as well, gets a little chilly but way better than barefoot for me.

I am actually running a pair of Adidas DAROGAS!!! Lightweight and mesh. The sole is designed after a long distance runners spike. Takes up ZERO room in the pack!!!

BTW post number 400 !!! whoo whoo

slim9300

WKR
Yep, I'm going to bring Merrell Trail gloves this year. Super light...and actually functional away from camp itself.

I think I may replace my Crocs with these. Thanks for the suggestion. They are the same weight and much more useful. My only concern is that they will absorb water and when they do, how fast they will dry.

Last edited:
B

bearguide

i take light weight,super breathable low top cross trainers, so they can double as sneeking up shoes, or hunting shoes