Camp Showers

I’m interested to hear if anyone has had success with or recommends any of the solar camp showers out there. My daughter is getting to the age where she can hike more and my wife would like to start being able to camp overnight/for a few days. For me, I’ve done the baby wipes and bathed in mountain streams but I’m looking to make the experience a little better for them. Portability and function are the two main things that I am interested in so if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations I’d be glad to hear them. Thanks y’all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bonehammer

Lil-Rokslider
I have use them for years on back country family fishing trips during the summers and always look forward to a hot/warm shower at the end of the end of the day. We have had luck with the advanced elements 5 gallon summer shower from Amazon for around $35. My wife tags a long occasionally and she loves it.
We hang them in a tree with standard paracord and wear crocs or sandals while showering to keep feet from getting muddy. We use backpacking towels to dry off… it’s definitely a luxury item that is always packed when my wife tags along

If you end up trying them be sure to fill them up early in the morning and try keep them exposed to the sun all day.

let me know if you have any specific questions!

Erict

WKR
Not sure of your idea of portability and function. This is not something one would want to use as part of an ultralight backcountry hike. I have been testing this out for "truck camping" this spring and find it to be just what I need. Basically, a several gallon plastic pressurized pesticide sprayer with extra hose and a "kitchen sink style sprayer" at the end. The pressurized part is really nice. You heat up water separately, pour it in, pressurize and use the sprayer as needed. If you wet down, soap up, rinse, scrub some more, rinse, shampoo, rinse you can have a real nice hot shower using 1.5-2 gallons of water and usually only have to repressurize once. It is also nice as you can use the pressurized water to wash off all sorts of things while camping or otherwise - I use it to wash mud/crud off of one of my bikes. Good luck!

Here is the video that provided me the info for the setup I use. (Skip right to the 5:00 mark to get right to the point on what this looks like and how it works).

OP
mountainman406
Thank you for all of the responses and y’all gave me a lot to work with. Ideally, I’d like to have a lightweight backpacking shower that I can take when we go camping away from the roads…..that being said a few of these other setups look pretty slick. I’m sure my wife wouldn’t mind me carrying a 30lb luxurious hot shower a few miles into the mountains for her….

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
For backcountry I made a shower tube that attaches to an MSR dromedary bag......you can put boiling water in the dromedary.....I used a turn on/off valve, tubing and a pvc end cap drilled to let water thru for the shower head.

No point waiting for the sun to maybe heat up water when you should be able to heat it yourself in short order.....

fmyth

WKR
I got a small pump off Amazon that has a shower nozzle on one end. Just need a bucket to warm your water. Very useful.
I use a small 12v pump w a shower nozzle that I purchased on amazon for $20. I use a stock tank heater plugged into my generator to heat the water. Works great. Super cheap and light weight.

hunt1up

WKR
Not sure of your idea of portability and function. This is not something one would want to use as part of an ultralight backcountry hike. I have been testing this out for "truck camping" this spring and find it to be just what I need. Basically, a several gallon plastic pressurized pesticide sprayer with extra hose and a "kitchen sink style sprayer" at the end. The pressurized part is really nice. You heat up water separately, pour it in, pressurize and use the sprayer as needed. If you wet down, soap up, rinse, scrub some more, rinse, shampoo, rinse you can have a real nice hot shower using 1.5-2 gallons of water and usually only have to repressurize once. It is also nice as you can use the pressurized water to wash off all sorts of things while camping or otherwise - I use it to wash mud/crud off of one of my bikes. Good luck!

Here is the video that provided me the info for the setup I use. (Skip right to the 5:00 mark to get right to the point on what this looks like and how it works).

I've been using this method for about 5 years now. It works excellent. I spray painted my pump sprayer tanks black to help warm them. Fill it up and set it in the sun. Sometimes you might need to add a splash of hot water to make it to your liking.

I used a 2 gallon if I'm driving, 1 gallon if I'm flying and putting it in my checked bags. Both get the job done.

You can make one for about $20 and it takes about 10 minutes.