Camp site positioning

GrayGhost

FNG
If your hunting an above tree line basin or drainage, what process do you use to determine how close or far you camp from the Deer you are chasing. My biggest concern is getting to close because of how the wind changes so much in the high country, but it is sure nice to be close and personal on your stalks. Would like some feedback from you guys on your strategy. Do you move camp daily based on wind or do you stay back a mile or so?

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like to stay as close as possible without the chance of my scent blowing into the area I hunt. Although wind and vectors change quite a bit in the unforgiving backcountry I take into account the predominant wind direction and use that to set up my camp. The closer my camp can be to the location I hunt the better. It makes reaction times less and requires less effort to be where I want to be glassing from in the morning. I have seen many set camp right in the middle of a good basin and watched the deer move out of there. Most often these hunter never see the deer they push out of that area. It can be frustrating especially if I have been watching a deer in that basin.

I don't usually camp more than a mile from where I am hunting. Access and being able to move in on a buck when the opportunity presents is key. Being a mile out I am not so concerned with the wind. Yes I do watch it like a bad habit but on my stalks not so much in camp site selection (water is more of a factor in that).

bohntr

WKR
I like to camp within 1/2 mile from where the bucks are feeding in the morning. Sometimes this will require a "quiet" camp off a side drainage to ensure the wind doesn't give my location. If you're within striking distance, with water and wind barriers to conceal your camp, you'll have it made.

CO09135.jpg

Last edited:

J-Daddy

WKR
I like to camp within 1/2 mile from where the bucks are feeding in the morning. Sometimes this will require a "quiet" camp off a side drainage to ensure the wind doesn't give my location. If you're within striking distance, with water and wind barriers to conceal your camp, you'll have it made.

CO09135.jpg

Good to see the big deer guru is over here...

Foldem

WKR
Last year we camped just over a saddle from the basin the bucks we were hunting called home. It worked really well. We had a 5 minute hike to our vantage point, and the bucks were usually 1/2 -1 1/2 miles from the vantage point. Do you guys wait out lightning in tents? I'm always super paranoid and put on the raingear and bail down into the trees instead of waiting in the tent above treeline.