camper shell recommendations

Brando

FNG
Aluminum if you think you will want to take it off every now and then. Definitely get carpet and I suggest the Windoors (side opening windows).
I talked myself out of them thinking my truck would be too tall for them to be useful but really wish I would have followed my instinct and purchased them.
I have a Century Ultra Sport on my Tundra. From what I was told by the distributor Century is a sister company of Leer. The shells are the same mold. I think they use cheaper glass and hardware on the Century to keep the price point a little lower than the comparable Leer.

ScottH

Lil-Rokslider
ARE, Z model here also. Carpeted headliner is much more forgiving if your head ever touches the top, the raw, rough fiberglass will tear you up. Hinged front window sure helps with cleaning, about impossible without it.
I'll get another one on my next truck.

I snagged a Leer off Craigslist and have no complaints about it. The carpet lining is really important for condensation and I appreciate have screened windows for ventilation. The carpet holds some dust but so does the rest of my truck and I wash it just the same. When I bought mine, it had a broken window, a $50 piece of lexan and some elbow work fixed that.

Randle

WKR
I have had several and a fold down front window and a center mounted rear window handle are the way to go. Carpet liner on the interior roof is nice . if your going to put a roof rack on it, get one with the plywood laminated into the roof.

Last edited:

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
For what it’s worth, I’ve got an ARE shell on my Titan and it’s been really great. No leaks, fit and finish is excellent and I’ve had it since 2014. I got mine with carpet, clothe’s rack, sliding front window and LED lighting. I would recommend the carpet and lights for sure. The LED really lights it up and the carpet is a nice finish to it. The clothes rack stores in the ceiling when not in use. I researched a ton before I bought mine and I’m very happy with it. I will buy again. I had a problem with the LED light switch when I smashed it with something by accident and my dealer charged me nothing to replace it. It also has retractable side windows with screens. Here are some photos Good luck with your decision.
6935ead53f2f47ba3d249b12035eff05.jpg
8ad8272baf9ad3c90b4dc21cafdfc547.jpg
dacb53b8342d4b0c0adb114998968af4.jpg
833335e9f5001585f0b702de3b29204a.jpg
b5fcd9ac9d6af699de7e40c33b6967c4.jpg
f68b58a64b3d73a89bdaf732ae34116b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

myerz28

FNG
I'm looking to buy a camper shell. a guy at church has bought a few for work trucks - he isn't crazy about a snugtop that he has, but does like the "ranch" brand camper (yet snugtop is supposed to be > than ranch)

any recommendations, thoughts, suggestions?
I have a 2012 tundra with century cap never leaks and is well built.

mtbshark

WKR
I had an ARE on my frontier and it was real nice. I just picked up a snugtop rebel for the Colorado and so far it is as nice. I will say the built in clamps are a super nice feature. And it is not leaking in Seattle spring weather.

mulecreek

FNG
I have the same ARE that TNhunter posted pics of. Love it. I also put a bedrug in. For truck camping I throw an old twin mattress in the back, a couple coolers and all other gear in totes. At the end f the day the totes and coolers go out, and I sleep on an actual mattress with a quilt. No more sleeping pads or bags.

I Finally found an old Gem Top for my Dodge.I had it painted to match.Much higher quality than any of the fiberglass ones I've had.The steel is way lighter than glass shell too

Ebby

WKR
TNHunter, what dealer did you use? I like that and am looking for a topper for my F150. I'm in Brentwood and was just curious. Sounds like your dealer was pretty solid. Thanks!

Randle

WKR
Also if you are in the market for used, Most dealers I have worked for will take them off of trade ins. If you see one on the lot It doesn't hurt to ask if they would sell the canopy separate.

manitou1

WKR
I always run a topper on my trucks. Have had AREs and Snugtops, mainly due to local dealers with good service. I like them both. No problems with either.

jeffpg

WKR
I’ve run shells off & on for a lot of years. I wanted something nice for my new Duramax and shopped very hard and patiently. I settled on Leer over ARE, mostly due to the options and special sales offers, but I also have owned them in the past and had good experiences.
I got the Thule rack system, with a lot of extras for various uses. If you plan to sleep in it much, I strongly suggest a carpeted interior, the overhead interior cargo net, and cigeratte lighter adapter plug for charging devices. I found a great dealer that I liked after much price shopping, and I made sure to get all the options I wanted. I have spent as much as 5 1/2 straight weeks sleeping in my truck during extended hunting trips and was never uncomfortable. Build a good bed!
I also tow a 5th wheel RV at times, and I have worked out a efficient system for swapping out the RV hitch & shell. I rigged a quick attach sling with a ratchet strap webbing & hooks to effortlessly remove & install the B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch using my tractor front end loader forks, and I installed a Harken Hoister in my carport to handle the shell. I can swap them out in a matter of minutes by myself, and I do so often.

We have a LEER on our 8' F250. We love it. Kind of wish we would have gotten the side glass that flips up for easier access. But when I am unloading, I just ask the kids for help and they go get the stuff from the front. LOL

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Snugtop and I like it a lot. Don’t have a lot to compare it to honestly, but it’s been great. Only issue I had is it cost me $600 for a new back glass and latch system which is hella expensive. It was almost as much as I paid for the topper to begin with. But the rails on top have allowed me to build a lumber/canoe rack on top. Helps a lot when running material for remodels.
4c418c7d2e7c41831d9f05bc0d8b3920.jpg