camper shell, truck camper or camper shell with clamshell tent

which would you have on your truck to camp, hunt and fish out of.

• Total voters
OP
L
I think i have settled on this one, but lead times are crazy.

Ya I like those but lead time and price drive me away from them.

I'm leaning towards building one like thr gofastcampers but making the clamshell part 120" vs the standard 80ish" that way I can have an open area all the time or a panel to infill it and plenty of room up top

Conroy

WKR
I like the Project M myself. It is a very basic cap/camper. You can still use your tailgate and bed of the truck. You can slide a big cooler or other equipment inside when hunting. The big issue is the wait time. It is currently 60 weeks to get one.

GotDraw?

WKR
Been thinking about redoing my hunting truck setup, sold my Frontier that had a camper shell and bed slider in it. Will be doing this to my tundra with the 6.5 ft bed. Most of the time it will be me and one other person. and if we are bird hunting there will be 2 dogs with us. Whatever i do it would probably stay on the truck all the time as i have another truck now. i also want to be able to hook up to the boat and go with it. i dont want a slide in camper that would hang out the end of the bed several feet. for a camper shell with a clamshell tent think along the line of the gofastcampers.

BEST OF BOTH WORLDS HERE, saves weight and still offers a lot of on-demand headroom:

My brother has a hard-shell ARE cap on his Tacoma. He is installing Topper EZ-Lift actuators that will automatically lift the shell up 17.5" from the bed rails when you want to sleep. This gives a lot of extra headroom and makes it very easy to camp in the truck bed even with drawer or storage system under your sleeping bags. Topper has also created a skirt tent that goes around the shell and over the tailgate to keep weather out on all sides and the back. You can also get and insulated version of the tent.

Check it out here:
TOPPER EZ-LIFT Video

JL

Last edited: