Camper-sleep oriented advice appreciated

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
All,

I am not sure if this exists, or if some of you have figured out the perfect balance for what I'm trying to do.

I'd like to find a small/light camper I can tow that the grandparents and little ones can sleep in. Since I have all my elk camp gear (canvas tent, cooking gear etc) I'd like to find a camper that doesn't have a stove, fridge, and other items I wouldn't need and rather have that space for max sleeping of persons. Basically a bunkhouse on wheels.
This would be for getting them to see some of the more remote areas I hunt and not for a campground. Does such beast exist? Maybe even one with higher ground clearance?

Thanks in advance 👍

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Look into toy hauler. You can out several beds in those. Most don't have a lot of greater comforts. Not the ones I have seen.

A bunkhouse model will have a double bed and bunkbeds with an oversized bed on the bottom.

You'll want a restroom and most of them the kitchen in so small it won't matter much. Your parents/in-laws will still likely want to make coffee and have the option of being able to grab something to eat on bad weather days.
Pretty much how most people use theirs anyway, we have never cooked anything in doors, the storage, fridge and sink are all handy though.

OP
Team4LongGun

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
A bunkhouse model will have a double bed and bunkbeds with an oversized bed on the bottom.

You'll want a restroom and most of them the kitchen in so small it won't matter much. Your parents/in-laws will still likely want to make coffee and have the option of being able to grab something to eat on bad weather days.
Pretty much how most people use theirs anyway, we have never cooked anything in doors, the storage, fridge and sink are all handy though.

Good call-they may want a toilet. Is bunkhouse a brand or just the style?

Bunkhouse is a model that many companies offer. As others have mentioned, I would look hard at toy haulers. They have the rear bunk option that can be raised out of the way. (bunkhouse is nice because it doesn't need to be put away when not being used, someone wants to sleep in, nap etc.) But for ease of packing or bringing a side by side/fourwheeler, kayaks whatever the toy hauler is really nice.

AZ8

WKR
I think you pretty much described a pop-up camper. Some are pretty basic and prove adequate sleeping. You could go small, medium or large. Easy to tow too.

mtnkid85

WKR
We bought a old trailer, demoed the bathroom and put another bunk bed in that space. Makes for a nice setup. Its our main camp so we left the kitchen in place, but you could just as easily pull all that out too.

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to convert a cargo trailer this summer,I don't like the rv because I think the layout is crap for hunting.We never use the bathroom and there's no room for gear and with a few people just totally packed and everybody in the way.It also takes too long to pack up and move and I like being mobile.Our camper always ends up with all the gear on the couch and the table and everyone has to get in a bed or throw crap on the ground.Im thinking flip up bunks would be awesome and leave a lot of space for camp chairs on those nasty evenings when everyone wants to be inside. Plus double as a toy hauler and I can slide a freezer in instead of throwing it on the back of the truck.Plus I can use the cargo trailer for work