Camper vs Tent?

krist003

Lil-Rokslider
To the original poster, I think you have the right idea. If you go the canvas tent route, you won't have TOO much invested and could always resell those items and not be out much if you find it just doesn't work for you. Whatever you do, DO NOT get one of those silly rooftop tents that someone suggested. I am blown away that those became a thing...social media I suppose.

Fun times ahead for you! Enjoy it

We are going with a Kodiak Canvas this year. I'm not pulling an enclosed trailer getting 12-14 MPG ever again.

Toolbox

FNG
Pop up camper adds cost but a lot of convenience. Leaving a lot of gear in there year-round is a plus. You also get a touch of extra storage when on the road, vs taking up cargo capacity with a tent. Good luck!

I was here some time ago and after using a camper, I missed my tents.

For one, campers cost $$$. They have tires and wheel ends that need to be maintained/replaced. Lights. Electronics. Pumps. All shit that can break and costs money to maintain.

It’s obvious, but they also cost a LOT more to move. Not so bad if “camping” is an hour away, but your wallet is gonna hurt the further you go.

They can develop leaks that can be costly to fix. Not only that, but rodents can and will get into it… remember all the pumps and electronics I was mentioning before? Yeah rodents love to eat wiring - at least it seems that way.

Finally, they have to be insured and tagged.

Put all that together, figure up how much it costs a month, then go look at hotel rooms and tell me which one is cheaper. For most guys, the hotel room wins out. I think I’d have to spend 2.5-3 months a year in a camper for it to break even.

A lot of the same guys who bitch about how “uncomfortable” tent camping is have no issues dropping $30k on a camper, but will sit there and balk at paying 200-300 for good sleeping pads.

bdg848

WKR
I was here some time ago and after using a camper, I missed my tents.

For one, campers cost $$$. They have tires and wheel ends that need to be maintained/replaced. Lights. Electronics. Pumps. All shit that can break and costs money to maintain.

It’s obvious, but they also cost a LOT more to move. Not so bad if “camping” is an hour away, but your wallet is gonna hurt the further you go.

They can develop leaks that can be costly to fix. Not only that, but rodents can and will get into it… remember all the pumps and electronics I was mentioning before? Yeah rodents love to eat wiring - at least it seems that way.

Finally, they have to be insured and tagged.

Put all that together, figure up how much it costs a month, then go look at hotel rooms and tell me which one is cheaper. For most guys, the hotel room wins out. I think I’d have to spend 2.5-3 months a year in a camper for it to break even.

A lot of the same guys who bitch about how “uncomfortable” tent camping is have no issues dropping $30k on a camper, but will sit there and balk at paying 200-300 for good sleeping pads
I feel like a tent and RV/camper setup aren't in the same ballpark. The more applicable comparison is a smaller 'teardrop' or square drop style camper vs a tent/camping gear and a cargo trailer to haul it all. Either way you are pulling something of similar size. It's then a debate over walk around space (wall tent) or quick setup time and mobility (teardrop). At least, this is the debate that I can't decide on.

I feel like a tent and RV/camper setup aren't in the same ballpark. The more applicable comparison is a smaller 'teardrop' or square drop style camper vs a tent/camping gear and a cargo trailer to haul it all. Either way you are pulling something of similar size. It's then a debate over walk around space (wall tent) or quick setup time and mobility (teardrop). At least, this is the debate that I can't decide on.
I have a wall tent and camp fits in the bed of my truck so the nod to walk around space and mobility goes to the tent. Its one of the other advantages to tent camping that I forgot to mention in my post - I don't need to concern myself with finding a spot I can get into with a camper. If I can drive there in my truck, I can camp there.

A camper is faster setup for sure, but to me its not worth the ~25k+ price difference(plus maintenance, increased fuel costs, etc) for a faster set up.

JRMiller

WKR
From my experience, theres two things many dont think about when transitioning to something towed.
1) Speed. Once you tow something many of the speed limits are reduced for anything towing, so its going to take you longer to get where you want to go, and when going several states over that can add up.
2) Weather. Pop-ups, for example, will be noisier (and possibly wetter) in high winds than a camper. Condensation inside on pop-up canvas can freeze just like a tent.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I have a wall tent and camp fits in the bed of my truck so the nod to walk around space and mobility goes to the tent. Its one of the other advantages to tent camping that I forgot to mention in my post - I don't need to concern myself with finding a spot I can get into with a camper. If I can drive there in my truck, I can camp there.

A camper is faster setup for sure, but to me its not worth the ~25k+ price difference(plus maintenance, increased fuel costs, etc) for a faster set up.
You can also carry the tent a little to get further off the road. Our deer hunting spot has a nice flat, scenic spot about 150yds off a logging road. Once over a little hill, you don't have to worry about vehicles driving by and you feel far more remote.

We use a marmot Limestone 8 for our family of 4. It has a separate smaller room with a divider on one side and then we throw in the queen size air mattress on the other. Still a ton of room for gear and plenty of space. We keep considering a pop up trailer or something like that but it’s hard to justify the cost.

We tent camped for 15 years and then moved to a small motorhome which is even more expensive than a trailer. I can't tell you the last time we stayed in a hotel room. It is very nice to have your own clean bathroom and kitchen and not have to eat out.

Over the years, I've learned to fix almost anything that breaks myself. These days with RVs of any type, that is a must as shop backlogs are weeks to months longs. You do have to buy expensive tires occasionally.

I always loved tent camping and still have our 8x8" Hetrick canvas tent. But the first time we took the motorhome out, we went to a nearby state park. It was opening weekend of Pennsylvania's trout season which was end of March/beginning of April. There were a group of fishermen camped in tents nearby. It had rained hard and got very cold overnight and in the morning I was sitting at the dinette with a little ceramic heater on to supplement the furnace (which is WAY overkill most of the time). As I sipped coffee I watched the guys come out of the tent next to us. They all had heavy coats on and were trying to build a fire to warm up. I thought "Boy that looks cold." I was still in my pajamas. I turned the heater up a bit looked around and thought "Well, this is alright."

That said, I still have my very old tent, cots, and all tenting equipment and do use them for hunting. Well-cared for equipment doesn't really go bad so when i want to get off the beaten path pretty well I can.