Camper vs Tent?

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
Here is another perspective for you: I don't know anything about campers, but I have done a lot of tent camping with family from the time my kids, now teenagers, were babies. What got the most use was/is an REI Kingdom 6 tent, good sleeping bags and large pads. I have a whole quiver of tents and gear but the hassle of setting up a wall tent, stove and cots meant that they got a lot less use and most of our camping was in moderate weather. Lots of useable space in the Kingdom tents because they have straight walls---guyed out well mine has been fine in the wind and the ventilation is excellent. It is also light enough that for a family overnight you can pack it in a mile or two along w/ all the other stuff and have a lot of space and not be tied to right beside the vehicle. It isn't as photogenic or cool for sure but it really got the job done for my family in the circumstances you describe and my kids still love to camp. That tent is still going strong too--had to patch the screen after a decade or so of use and replace the bag it stuffs into but otherwise still sound and well-designed. Wish I had gone for the 8 rather than the 6 but it hasn't really mattered either.

Gorp2007

WKR
Family of 5 (7, 4, 2) and we’ve got an REI Kingdom 6 that we love. I’d probably upgrade to the 8 if I was doing it again, but wife and I get a full size inflatable bed and the girls each get a twin with the little man in a pack n play. It’s tight but it works. You can get the garage to really add some useful additional space, too. Sets up easy with just one person in under 10 minutes if you’re hustling.

I’m looking to get a small off road trailer to increase our packing capacity and give us a fixed kitchen instead of dump camping at every picnic table. I just don’t want to deal with dragging a camper around plus figuring out storage. But I move every 3-4 years, if I was somewhere permanent where I could store it I might feel differently.

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
We got a cheap big tent and throw 2 queen air mattress in. Still room on the middle for gear and other stuff. Were truck camping so bring everything and set up right by the truck, the only thing I think we lose compared to a cable is a bathroom or shower, but we only do little trips so not a huge deal. The tent takes 5 minutes to set up and the air mattress makes sure kids get pretty good sleep. I bring my old backpacking pads as a backup.

Whatever gets you out there!

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Rooftop tents look cool but seem so impractical to me. I always have to piss once and climbing down would be a pain.plus the set up isn't much faster than a tent. Maybe I'm missing something. But with little kids, I wouldn't mess with it anyway.

Gorp2007

WKR
Rooftop tents look cool but seem so impractical to me. I always have to piss once and climbing down would be a pain.plus the set up isn't much faster than a tent. Maybe I'm missing something. But with little kids, I wouldn't mess with it anyway.

Funnel and a length of tubing. Or so I’ve heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
OXO Travel Potty has been a life saver for travel and outdoor adventures with two little girls. We set ours up in the vestibule and it makes life much easier.
we use the one we used for potty training, hide it behind the truck and she's good to go!not fun to clean out though but small price to pay!
That one looks good though, is it free standing, or do you need to attach it to something?

BriderLV

FNG
We went from tents right to a travel trailer since my wife wanted a bathroom and bed. I wanted a pop-up but I understand she wanted those. Went medium size on the trailer, still has a bunk house for the kids but has a murphy bed for us so we get a bed and a couch. The OAL of the trailer only 25" so easy to get into most campsites or boondock areas.

I would echo in talking it out and getting something that works for the family. My wife didn't grow-up in the outdoors so somethings are a compromise. Just my .02

Gorp2007

WKR
we use the one we used for potty training, hide it behind the truck and she's good to go!not fun to clean out though but small price to pay!
That one looks good though, is it free standing, or do you need to attach it to something?

Freestanding and it folds up and carries flat in a backpack. The little bags also make cleanup a cinch.

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
Tentcamped with horses & kids for 7 or 8 years. Transitioned to a pop-up & Oh My God it made camping SO much easier! As the person who got stuck packing up all the stuff needed for a week with 3 kids & 2 dogs in a primative campground, yah, get the popup. And a pak n play for a not-yet-walking tot.

Stalker69

WKR
If your going to have a lantern, heater, cots all that stuff, your not packing back in any ways. It’s much more comfortable, convenient to have a “ camper” with all the things needed. Then when old enough, pack in with a tent. Unless were ever your going is to rough of a road for a camper or trailer, then tents about the only choice.

The little family is growing and our previous, minimalist camping style is not going to work anymore. We used to just run our backpacking tent and gear. But now we have a little guy with another on the way.

For others who have gone through the young family growth on a budget, what did you do? Canvas tent? Pop up camper? Looking for good ideas with pros and cons.

Currently leaning toward a kodiak tent with cots, buddy heater, and lanterns.
On a budget? 🤣🤣🤣 Sold the camper van when we found out we were having a little one... sold the F150 too... brand new F350 and 27' travel trailer later...

wapitibob

WKR
I've done it all, tents, slide in camper, and pull behind camper.
You couldn't give me another tent, they suck in the rain and you're packing a truck bed full of gear that you get to set up and tear down.
Slide in camper is OK if the kids are little and you have the rig to pack it. Everything is packed and ready to go when you are. Shower and toilet included although a bit cramped for an adult. Need a trailer for a quad or the kids dirt bikes.
Pull trailer has everything. You can go from a smaller pop-up to a hybrid that only the beds pop out, to a full enclosed trailer. The pop up weigh nothing, and can about go anywhere your truck can go. They can get cold though. High wall pop ups have more storage and small holding tanks for the grey and black water making it a lot easier if the kids are using the toilet. The hybrids are a full trailer, storage, bathroom, and all, except for the beds on each end as they pop out.

Gone4Days

WKR
I’ve had popups, travel trailers, tents, wall tens…. had them all. Now all I use is my 10x14 Kodiak flex bow. Simple, cheap, awesome. We have family of 4. Use two sets of disc-o-bed bunk cots to save room. There is a reason craigslist is flooded with campers and RV’s. People buy them, realize they are a lot of work and expensive and sell them.

Last edited:

Gone4Days

WKR
I've done it all, tents, slide in camper, and pull behind camper.
You couldn't give me another tent, they suck in the rain and you're packing a truck bed full of gear that you get to set up and tear down.
Slide in camper is OK if the kids are little and you have the rig to pack it. Everything is packed and ready to go when you are. Shower and toilet included although a bit cramped for an adult. Need a trailer for a quad or the kids dirt bikes.
Pull trailer has everything. You can go from a smaller pop-up to a hybrid that only the beds pop out, to a full enclosed trailer. The pop up weigh nothing, and can about go anywhere your truck can go. They can get cold though. High wall pop ups have more storage and small holding tanks for the grey and black water making it a lot easier if the kids are using the toilet. The hybrids are a full trailer, storage, bathroom, and all, except for the beds on each end as they pop out.
Funny, I am the opposite! lol

CoStick

WKR
A lot of it depends on what you are looking to do. We camp , fish, hike , scout and cook s’mores on the fire. Only need a tent for that. If iPads, movies, more of a home in the woods, a camper is probably better. The technology for tents and camping gear is great. For car camping it all fits in one big Rubbermaid. When backcountry most of it fits in 2 4800 seek outside packs, my 8 and 5 year old girls carry small backpacks.

It really can be simple and great way to spend time with family without distractions.

BriderLV

FNG
I’ve had popups, travel trailers, tents, wall tens…. had them all. Now all I use is my 10x14 Kodiak flex box. Simple, cheap, awesome. We have family of 4. Use two sets of disc-o-bed bunk cots to save room. There is a reason craigslist is flooded with campers and RV’s. People buy them, realize they are a lot of work and expensive and sell them.

Thats a great idea right there. I wanted to buy a box trailer and convert it as a project. They can be configured in a bunch of different ways. Make a great waterfowl trailer.

Titan_Bow

WKR
A large cabin style tent or canvas tent, that is east to set up is definitely my preference. I’m a cheapskate however. Where I live, I’d have to pay to store a travel trailer, winterize it every winter, register it every year with DMV. All that adds up. I built out an army m101a2 trailer for family camping, and can carry our tent, cots, onboard power and hot water, a nice camp stove, a portable potty/shower tent. We have all the amenities of a nice camp, in a package that I can keep in the back of my garage and register as a utility trailer. Some guys put roof top tents on them, but to me a roof top tent seems like a lot of money for not much return in features and function. I am currently using a 10 person turbo tent from Australia. It sets up in 5-10 minutes by myself and gives basically a 10x20 cabin. It also has held up to Wyoming, Colorado and Nebraska wind and inclement weather just fine.
All in all, there are times I would like a nice travel trailer but my current setup works great and I can spend the money on other things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk