Campers, Toy Haulers, towing them - school me, please

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
I had a work and play 38’ 5th wheel toy hauler. Lower profile with a smaller slide out and 13’ garage IIRC. Main bed was above the 5th wheel area, but since it was lower profile, you could not stand in the “bedroom”. The work and plays are better quality, but like others have said, most RV and trailers are built like junk.

Generators - i prefer external because they are quieter (well Honda & Yamahas are) and can be used for other activities. If you are running the AC you are going to need more than a 3500 watt unit....

As for camping where no one else is.... please tell me where this is. While the RV industry shows these wonderful pics, I have rarely seen them in person (desert being the exception) and would worry more about getting stuck in a tight situation.

I towed with a 1 ton diesel and that handled a 15k lb trailer well - remember, you are adding water, gear, equipment, fuel, people, etc - weight adds up QUICKLY. Many people will assume their truck will cover it, then realize they are way over the GVWR.

Also.... many people will debate this and I’m not trying to start anything, but I have personally experienced it and the laws are sometimes murky and very randomly enforced: towing a trailer greater than 10k lbs may require a Class A (non commercial whatever that is) license. I have a Class A CDL that I maintain from a prior life, so, i don’t worry as much about that. Seeing you live in TX, here’s the link: https://www.dps.texas.gov/cve/CDL_a3.htm

BluMtn

WKR
Just walked by my trailer and had another thought. Whether you buy new or used check the tires. If it is a new purchase and you plan on doing some long distance traveling you will need to get new tires. RV manufactures put the cheapest tires on their trailers. I got about 4,000 miles in 2 seasons on my tires before they started blowing out. Buy a good 14 ply tire that will inflate to at least 105 PSI.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. It’s always heavier than you think.
2. Things rattle loose from rough roads (water lines).
3. Make a good electric setup (l.e.d. Lights, solar, quality batteries , generator)
4. Take your time when towing, it can be stressful.
5. Your towing capacity is brought down by the cargo weight in your truck. Ex: coolers, people, gear and the fifth wheel hitch are all cargo. Not very hard to have 1000lb load with a family of six.
6. Getting gas can be really interesting.
7. Weight adds up fast.
8. Winterizing is more than just clearing the lines out.
9. Have fun.
10. It’s always heavier than you think.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Like quite a few others have already said, 3/4 or 1 ton is the way to go. I would really caution against getting a trailer or fifth wheel over about 25' for use in the mountains. We had a trailer that was over 30' for a while and that thing straight sucked to get around with.

I'm a big fan of Arctic Fox and run a 2018 990 truck camper in my 2018 F350 dually. I pull a covered cargo trailer to haul ATV's if needed. I think Arctic Fox makes one of the best winter systems out there.

My trailer is 6k dry. With all gear I would imagine it is around 8k. Towed with a gas 3/4 ton in the mountains and it was not enjoyable. Went to a diesel and it is a much better experience so far. All trailers are made cheap. Learn how to work on them. Dealerships are a joke for service in most cases.

tdhanses

WKR
My trailer is 6k dry. With all gear I would imagine it is around 8k. Towed with a gas 3/4 ton in the mountains and it was not enjoyable. Went to a diesel and it is a much better experience so far. All trailers are made cheap. Learn how to work on them. Dealerships are a joke for service in most cases.

How was your gas 3/4 ton not enjoyable? I only ask because I did the opposite and went from diesel to gas and while going over 11,000ft passes it isn’t a game of speed, it hasn’t been bad at all compared to the diesel I had before it. Yes the rpm’s are up there but that is as designed for gas. Really I only miss the diesel towing for 5% of the towing time. To me that isn’t enough to pay the premium anymore and deal with all the emissions crap, but this is just my opinion.

BadDogPSD

WKR
I've owned a few travel trailers, a couple of 5th wheels, and currently own a bumper pull toy hauler (Desert Fox). I haven't kept up with the half ton trucks, but in the late 90's/early 2000's, they were lacking as tow vehicles for travel trailers. I've never wished for a half ton when towing with my F350, but there were more than a few times I wished for a bigger, more powerful truck when towing with an F150.
I found towing a 5th wheel to be much easier & more relaxing than a bumper pull. They just feel more stable.
Our current trailer is a Desert Fox 24AS. It's just over 30 feet long and was the best compromise what we needed & wanted. I would have preferred a 5th wheel, but they were all longer than I wanted. 22-24' will allow you to get into most areas & forest service campgrounds, but are pretty small for a toy hauler. We're limited with our 30 footer, but can still get into most places.
Don't trust rv sales people, they do lie to try to close the deal. I had one tell me I'd be perfectly fine towing a 14k trailer with an F150...

BadDogPSD

WKR
20191126_073259.jpg

Our hunting camp earlier this week. Bailed early due to snow with more on the way, and the batteries crapped out. This was 17 miles from pavement. The Desert Fox trailers are built pretty well.

Almost all
How was your gas 3/4 ton not enjoyable? I only ask because I did the opposite and went from diesel to gas and while going over 11,000ft passes it isn’t a game of speed, it hasn’t been bad at all compared to the diesel I had before it. Yes the rpm’s are up there but that is as designed for gas. Really I only miss the diesel towing for 5% of the towing time. To me that isn’t enough to pay the premium anymore and deal with all the emissions crap, but this is just my opinion.

The Ram 6.4l hemi would max out at 5500 RPM then go into a slow derate type mode. I know they are suppose to hold together but the temps both tranny and motor definitely climb. Dont get me wrong the diesel emissions scare the hell out of me..lol. I had the DPF take a dump at just over 50k. Out of warranty would have been 3k. May eventually try the 7.3l Ford before the Cummins warranty is finally up. Love the diesel towing in the mountains just not sure if it is worth it to be honest.

Fullfan

WKR
I have a 40' Keystone fifth wheel that I two with a Ram 3500 Mega, SRW and the Cummins.

First you need a truck that will tow and stop what ever you are towing.
A fifth wheel tows better than a bumper pull.

I would stay away from any older used, most set outsider and the roof is the first thing that goes.

Toy hauler will be my next camper, ability to load and haul more stuff in the garage, and a door to come into where you can wear muddy boots and remove your hunting gear. Most garages in toy haulers do not have carpet on the floor making an easy clean up.

And remember if you wanna be away from others, a power source is required. I have two Honda EU2000 generators. I can parallel them and
run almost everything in the camer at once. Hondas are quiet, reliable and easy on gas.

My family had them growing up over the years. Pop ups, cab over, travel trailers and a small toy hauler but we sold them all off over the years.

I have been kicking this idea around for a while for my family and have been talking to two friends both with families of 4 and use the trailers a few times a year.

Guy #1 - went all in. Big toy hauler. 5th wheel. Truck from 1/2 ton ====> 3/4 ton. Lots of $$$.
Guy #2 - went light. Same truck. Bumber pull. 22 foot toy hauler. Less $$$

Guy #1 has a sweet rig. Basically a portable living room that you can sleep and cook in. Can load two atvs or a mid sized sxs. He is happy but wishes he used his rig more for what he paid / pays for it. He also seems to have had more maintenance issues.

Guy #2 uses a lot of awnings and a tent to create extra and outdoor space. Trailer is a bathroom and sleeping for some. His thought being, if the weather is too bad for that set up, his wife is going to want to go home anyway.

My take away is the bigger, more expensive rigs really shine when you use them often but you pay a price upfront and in added maintenance.

Another guy I am talking to swears you need to store them under a roof of some kind. He says the roofs Of trailers and rvs just breakdown and you’ll have leaks in 3-5 years if it isn’t under a cover. He has the luxury of a barn at his disposal so take that for what it’s worth.

Elk97

WKR
We tow our Nash 17k with an F150 5.0L and it does a great job. The trailer weighs about 5K and by the time it's all loaded up it's around 6K. This is a good combination but if we go to a bigger trailer I'll get a 3/4 ton. We haul the trailer into the mountains for elk hunting and anything bigger would be a real challenge. Biggest problem with longer trailers is the overhangs, front and rear, when you go through cuts or high spots. Easy to get high centered or drag hard (say goodbye to your stabilizer jacks). My son has a 24' trailer and we can't get it where we want to because of this. A good four season trailer is the only way to go if you're going to use it for hunting. Arctic Fox, Nash, Outdoors are good brands.

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
I'll throw in that they won't tell you this but you should clean and service your roof twice a year to condition the fabric of the roof.
We had a 27' toy hauler that was totaled by hail couldn't find another one in same brand so went to a 30' toy hauler, nicer but sure miss the 27'er.
Buy used as most have stated that you'll not use it much so really the one you buy probably hasn't had that much use either.
The 27' and 30' both are rated for 1/2 ton but I wasn't real comfortable when pulling the 27'er with my '10 Ford 1/2 ton so upgraded to the 3/4 Ford 6.2 gas, much better and the mileage is not good pulling the 30' but not a lot of difference from the 1/2 ton when not pulling the trailer. I don't drive the truck any different then I did the 1/2 ton so I still average about 14.8mpg with the 3/4 which isn't that much different then when I had the 1/2.
The Gas truck is cheaper, cost of maintenance is less, fuel is less just depends on which side of the coin you look at or on which is best for you. Just my .02
Good Luck and sweet traveling and hunting. Hhardrock

tdhanses

WKR
My family had them growing up over the years. Pop ups, cab over, travel trailers and a small toy hauler but we sold them all off over the years.

I have been kicking this idea around for a while for my family and have been talking to two friends both with families of 4 and use the trailers a few times a year.

Guy #1 - went all in. Big toy hauler. 5th wheel. Truck from 1/2 ton ====> 3/4 ton. Lots of $$$.
Guy #2 - went light. Same truck. Bumber pull. 22 foot toy hauler. Less $$$

Guy #1 has a sweet rig. Basically a portable living room that you can sleep and cook in. Can load two atvs or a mid sized sxs. He is happy but wishes he used his rig more for what he paid / pays for it. He also seems to have had more maintenance issues.

Guy #2 uses a lot of awnings and a tent to create extra and outdoor space. Trailer is a bathroom and sleeping for some. His thought being, if the weather is too bad for that set up, his wife is going to want to go home anyway.

My take away is the bigger, more expensive rigs really shine when you use them often but you pay a price upfront and in added maintenance.

Another guy I am talking to swears you need to store them under a roof of some kind. He says the roofs Of trailers and rvs just breakdown and you’ll have leaks in 3-5 years if it isn’t under a cover. He has the luxury of a barn at his disposal so take that for what it’s worth.

I think proper roof maintenance is all that is needed, don’t fall for the out of sight with it. My family has had campers stored outside only and we’ve owned them for 30+ years, no leaks.

Also most campers have a 10+ year roof warranty.

danarnold

WKR
We had a very solid Toy-hauler with a big slide, couldn’t fit our sxs, was very stressful hauling and weighed too much, was towing with a 1ton Cummins.

Replaced it with a sprinter chassis rv that we’ve taken to many places it didn’t belong with an aluminum trailer that had sxs, freezer dirt bike.... gets 13-16 mpg depending on speed with the trailer.
We like being able to cook, sleep, use the bathroom, watch tv and stretch out while traveling. We’ve never stayed in a rv park, always off road.
Won’t be going back to any kind of camper.

I think proper roof maintenance is all that is needed, don’t fall for the out of sight with it. My family has had campers stored outside only and we’ve owned them for 30+ years, no leaks.

Also most campers have a 10+ year roof warranty.
There are zero campers that have an effective 10+ year roof warranty. All of the roof warranties basically state that the roof material will last for 10 years. It will not cover maintenance which will be dependent on your choice of roof material.
There are two kinds of RV's, ones that you know have leaked, and others that you don't know have leaked.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Like quite a few others have already said, 3/4 or 1 ton is the way to go. I would really caution against getting a trailer or fifth wheel over about 25' for use in the mountains. We had a trailer that was over 30' for a while and that thing straight sucked to get around with.

I'm a big fan of Arctic Fox and run a 2018 990 truck camper in my 2018 F350 dually. I pull a covered cargo trailer to haul ATV's if needed. I think Arctic Fox makes one of the best winter systems out there.

You pull the cargo trailer behind your camper?

Rando8586

FNG
Look at Sundowner toy haulers. A friend just got 1 it is awesome. I prefer a truck camper & trailer for my side by side.