camping/daily driver?

bdg848

WKR
Sorry about this long, scatter brained post. I'm not asking a specific question so much as I am thinking out loud and hoping for some more ideas and opinions. I'm brainstorming and gathering all options for a vehicle/camper setup for weekend camping trips, in-state weekend bird hunts, and yearly or twice yearly hunt out west.

It so happens I'm in the market for a 'new to me' vehicle so I like the idea of turning my daily driver into my sleeping setup on the weekends i.e. truck with topper. That will work just fine for my wife and I but I also want to go out with some buddies sometime as well and three guys in a truck topper is going to get a bit too cozy I think. They may have to bring their own accommodations.

That starts me on the idea of a small travel trailer and truck with crew cab to more comfortably accommodate several people. But now I have the initial investment of the vehicle, which I'm in the market for now, but also have to buy a trailer in addition. Maybe that's okay as part of a 5-10 year plan but not super practical right now. My wife would have a stroke. I'm also thinking forward, probably too far forward, to when the family gets bigger. I want the trailer as a comfortable vacation for the family but I feel like to take a whole slew of kids along with the wife and cram them in the truck cab is going to get uncomfortable quickly over a 20 hour road trip. Has anyone done that and can share your experience? I guess you could tow it with an SUV if you need more seating for passengers and the trailer isn't too big.

That brought up another thought. What about an 18 passenger van or cargo van. You could pull out the last two rows of seats, install bunks for sleeping in the back, and still have two more rows of kidos plus driver and passenger seats for a total of up to 8 occupants up front. You could pull out a third row of seats and seat 5. That's perfect for me, my buddies, and a dog or two for long weekend bird hunts. The disadvantage is that I don't know of any big vans that come with 4x4 options and having it added by a third party is prohibitively expensive for me. That being said, I wouldn't be 'off roading' with it. I would really just need it to get up into the mountains once or twice a year on forest service roads in snow. Just to the trail head so I can hike in. Last year I had a Honda Pilot up in the Sawtooth national forest and never used the 4 wheel drive but the roads were decently maintained and there was only about 4 inches of snow so it wasn't much of a challenge. Would chains and a winch just in case be good enough on a big van as long as you aren't rock crawling with it? They already have pretty good ground clearance as it is. The rest of it's use would be on flat country roads.

For right now the most practical option for my own personal use is probably the pickup with a topper. When my buddies and I are doing hunts around the state or neighboring states they will just have to make their own sleeping arrangements and/or drive separately but that sucks considering we are going to and from the exact same places as each other. Do you have any obvious suggestions that I'm not thinking of? I'm open to pretty much any idea. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

zacattack

WKR
Like the Johnny Cash song just get it one piece at a time. Truck, then topper, then pull behind. Unless you have a large amount of cash laying around.
In the meantime if you need to look into renting a trailer. Me and some family members looked into renting one that sleeps 8, and we found some for $140 a night locally to where we are going, so we can just pick it up there and not tow it across the country.

I’d think one step ahead, but not 10 steps ahead. How many kids do you have now, and how old are they?

If you don’t have any or one newborn/toddler, it makes no sense to invest in a vehicle that can haul 6 kids and likely will be worn out or crashed by the time you get there.

It also doesn’t make sense to own a separate vehicle you have to register, insure, do engine and supsneion maintenance, tires, brakes, etc, unless you’ve already got a work vehicle for free or you use it A LOT.

I’ve settled on an SUV (Land Rover LR3) and a 6x12 enclosed trailer. Going with one other person, the seats fold flat and there’s enough room to sleep in the back. Works fine for early season, but if it’s going to be raining or snowing a bunch you want more room to get out of the weather, get dressed, cook and stuff.

With the family (2 young boys) it’s either tent camping or pull the trailer. It’s nice being able to have heat, AC, and a dry place to sleep or store gear that doesn’t require setting it up.

I’m still camping though and want it to feel that way. I don’t need oak cabinets, a TV, oven, etc.

OP
B

bdg848

WKR
Yeah I was thinking last night and a big SUV might be better than a truck due to more seating but you could still sleep in it.

Maki35

WKR
A friend has a 2500 4x4 pickup with a camper on the back ( kit, bath & sleeps 3). He takes it fishing on the beach (overnight stay) every year & hunting in the fall. He loves his pickup-camper setup (he removes the camper from his truck when he need to pick up material at Home depot.)
I like the camper on a pickup idea. I don't care for dragging a trailer along if I'm going hunting (off road).

Google search shows the Ford & Nissan Transit offer a 4x4 / AWD option that can hold up to 15 passengers.

Last edited:
A kodiak canvas tent pops up much to fast for me to see trailers as a viable option for out west trips from MN. A topper setup sounds nice, a trailer sounds like a pain in the arse. The thought of pulling a trailer down the forest service roads I frequent when out west (just getting it through, turning around, etc) is enough for it to be disqualified from many trips. Towing at 85 MPH for 12-25 hours is also not appealing, especially when thinking about those glare ice roads that are a reality coming home some Novembers.

I can see the novelty for folks who don't have to tow them that far or only travel on good roads.

So heres my take on the whole thing.

Trailers, in general, are expensive. They need maintenance, storage, cost more in fuel to get to/from where you're going, and not only that - they can be hard to get into and out of some areas. If you sit down and plot out how much its going to cost you monthly for that trailer and everything it entails, I find for a lot of people they're paying more over just getting a room... you've really gotta be using that trailer a LOT to make it break even... like we're talking more use than the average guy has PTO for.

I ended up settling(and I use that word lightly) for a wall tent. Heatable for the colder months, enough room to really stretch out in and honestly really really nice accommodations in the woods. It stuffs into a giant rubbermaid container so as long as my vehicle can get back there I can put it up and use it. No storage fees or maintenance crap - when not in use after drying it out it can sit in a very small area in my garage until its needed again. Not to mention the tent and stove cost significantly less than a trailer. I went with a 12x14 which, with the way I hunt(I typically leave camp in the morning, depending on the hunt I might return at lunch, but usually am out all day until dark) is perfect for me and two or even three other guys as I don't cook inside. Plenty of room for me, my wife and kid. If room is a concern, go ahead and order the 14x16 or a 16x20 or larger - you'll still be money ahead over a trailer.... even accounting for a cot and luxurious camp mattress(I run the therm-a-rest mondo kings).

edit - you can buy showers for a small fee at campgrounds or truck stops. If you must have access to one, buy a shower tent and one of those portable water heater setups. Still gonna be money ahead over a trailer.

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from Colorado with my 6 x12 cargo trailer.. I'll be selling it shortly and buying a truck topper.. I had hell going down the forestry roads .. worrying about getting into a spot i couldn't turn around.. If you have one spot you always hunt it's great.. warm and keeps you dry.. I Hit an area and move if there's no sign.. so I may be in an area a day or 2 then move 30 miles .. for my style of hunting I prefer to sleep in the truck or a tent.. Next year I'll be as mobile as possible..
I forgot to add gas milage. My truck get 19 hwy with the bed loaded..13.5 pulling the trailer 20 hours.. not to mention having to worry about trailer bearings etc..

Yeah I was thinking last night and a big SUV might be better than a truck due to more seating but you could still sleep in it.
As long as the 3rd row folds flat with 2nd your golden. I have had a Expy EL for 10 years...and have spent many a night in it from WY to the OBX...a twin size walmart air mattress fits fine with room for your gear..When I need my big cooler I just pull the second row seats..cooler on the floor and air mattress over cooler.

Pickup with a slide in camper sounds like just the ticket..
No plates to buy no bearings to service, and you can store it on one of those cheap 4x8 utility trailers and just push it into the garage,out of the weather and make it last longer. Or another option just may be putting a rack on top of a pickup topper and adding a roof top tent...... probably the most cost effective route.

Last edited:
OP
B

bdg848

WKR
So heres my take on the whole thing.

Trailers, in general, are expensive. They need maintenance, storage, cost more in fuel to get to/from where you're going, and not only that - they can be hard to get into and out of some areas. If you sit down and plot out how much its going to cost you monthly for that trailer and everything it entails, I find for a lot of people they're paying more over just getting a room... you've really gotta be using that trailer a LOT to make it break even... like we're talking more use than the average guy has PTO for.

I ended up settling(and I use that word lightly) for a wall tent. Heatable for the colder months, enough room to really stretch out in and honestly really really nice accommodations in the woods. It stuffs into a giant rubbermaid container so as long as my vehicle can get back there I can put it up and use it. No storage fees or maintenance crap - when not in use after drying it out it can sit in a very small area in my garage until its needed again. Not to mention the tent and stove cost significantly less than a trailer. I went with a 12x14 which, with the way I hunt(I typically leave camp in the morning, depending on the hunt I might return at lunch, but usually am out all day until dark) is perfect for me and two or even three other guys as I don't cook inside. Plenty of room for me, my wife and kid. If room is a concern, go ahead and order the 14x16 or a 16x20 or larger - you'll still be money ahead over a trailer.... even accounting for a cot and luxurious camp mattress(I run the therm-a-rest mondo kings).

edit - you can buy showers for a small fee at campgrounds or truck stops. If you must have access to one, buy a shower tent and one of those portable water heater setups. Still gonna be money ahead over a trailer.
Okay, so if considering a trailer vs a wall tent, Is one more likely to get up and walk away while out hunting? If you're camping from a trailer, you are obviously camping near a road or trail head. If you had a heavy canvass wall tent and can't pack it in very far from your vehicle, you are also set up near a road or trailhead. What are the odds the whole thing gets stolen while you are hunting? I'm interested in a tent, because it is a lot cheaper and spacious as mentioned but a trailer seems like it would be easier to secure, or am I wrong?

I would think that it would be much more of a hastle to dismantle and pack up a tent, therefore making it harder to steal and time consuming and more apt to be cought in the process.

Opah

WKR
Get your self a clean good condition full size any truck 4X4 you like, they have shells the have cargo door and entry door, plenty of room on the inside. I truck camped for years, hook a good pop up camper, sleep two to three in the truck camper and 6 to 8 in the pop up should do you proud and it could be inexpensive if you shop well
1599798405963.png
1599798439843.png
1599798504547.png

Okay, so if considering a trailer vs a wall tent, Is one more likely to get up and walk away while out hunting? If you're camping from a trailer, you are obviously camping near a road or trail head. If you had a heavy canvass wall tent and can't pack it in very far from your vehicle, you are also set up near a road or trailhead. What are the odds the whole thing gets stolen while you are hunting? I'm interested in a tent, because it is a lot cheaper and spacious as mentioned but a trailer seems like it would be easier to secure, or am I wrong?
I feel like a bunch of crackheads are gonna be more likely to steal the trailer - think about how much work would go into breaking down the tent and how many people would likely be driving through whereas with a trailer and a pair of bolt cutters...

With that said, I think they’d be more likely to just ransack and steal whatever they could of value vs. stealing the entire setup.

I went with a mid roof cargo van. I don’t drive it much and a trailer would make way more economic sense. But being busy with work, family, etc. I didn’t want the hassle of hooking it up every time I go somewhere or trying to maneuver it around on forest service roads and other tricky locations. I haul dirt bikes in it too and like the simplicity of just loading them in the back and hitting the road. We need two vehicles anyway. I sleep in it on long road trips in rest areas and other spots where I can get away with it. It looks like just another cargo van. Nice and private and secure. If you take it slow it does fine on fs roads. Ground clearance is the biggest issue. I put BFGoodrich KO2’s on it and it has a LSD and that helps. Of course you have to be aware of the height, 8’ 6” tall. But a low roof would work great also. I’m 5‘ 11” and can stand up straight in mine. That’s nice to be able to do.

Attachments

• EC462C80-4C27-4BB3-B3F8-5D58AADC4492.jpeg
    EC462C80-4C27-4BB3-B3F8-5D58AADC4492.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 98B63BF7-DE32-4E42-9426-B6769BE0374D.jpeg
    98B63BF7-DE32-4E42-9426-B6769BE0374D.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 5D2C4CDA-F16B-4EEF-8AD3-C6B92C5F18CD.jpeg
    5D2C4CDA-F16B-4EEF-8AD3-C6B92C5F18CD.jpeg
    472.9 KB · Views: 34