camping high up

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
We were out in ID last week. With the cold, the puffy coat & pant were awesome to get into when glassing. I have a Kuiu puffy coat & the FL puffy pants. They really kept me warm while glassing, and I was glad I packed them in with me. I didn't wear a base layer, so anytime we stopped to glass the puffy layer was essential. You're going to really like the SO tent. I picked up a Cimarron w/ stove earlier this summer, and it performed beautifully for us last week in ID. Super light weight to pack in, and setup is so easy & quick. Was nice to get the stove going at night & again in the AM before we headed out glassing. Here's a pick of one of our camps: SO Cimarron.jpg

OP
K

kyleds8

FNG
Do you use a layering system? That can really help, I would also suggest thinking about keeping a temperature rather than going for a temperature. What I mean is, start warm, stay warm. Don’t wait until your cold to try and warm up. It doesn’t work that way. This is where a layering system shines. Physical fitness plays a part in helping, as does nutrition, but sweat management is the key. You can’t be lazy. You have be proactive. Before you head up the mountain, shed layers and put them on when you stop. Take them off before you move. Its alot easier said than done.\
I typically hike up in just my thin pants, beanie, t shirt and hoodie- black ovis merino synthetic blend- and then put on clothes up top. I sweat so much hiking up that my clothes are pretty drenched, especially beanie and beneath backpack and binos. Seems like the black ovis gear gets wet and stays wet and cold a lot longer than my FL long johns. how do you keep from sweating? just move slower?

OP
K

kyleds8

FNG
No one ever makes a fire?
A fire can't be beat, and the deer shouldn't be too scared of it since it's a natural smell. It will also hide your smell.
Of course there are always fire warnings out so then it's out. But nothing beats a big ole bonfire at camp or while glassing.

And remember, white man - big fire, sit far away. Red man - small fire, sit close.
fire while glassing not worried about spooking deer? wouldn't want to dissuade those bucks nearby, I've often had em come right in when I'm glassing solo.

OP
K

kyleds8

FNG
We were out in ID last week. With the cold, the puffy coat & pant were awesome to get into when glassing. I have a Kuiu puffy coat & the FL puffy pants. They really kept me warm while glassing, and I was glad I packed them in with me. I didn't wear a base layer, so anytime we stopped to glass the puffy layer was essential. You're going to really like the SO tent. I picked up a Cimarron w/ stove earlier this summer, and it performed beautifully for us last week in ID. Super light weight to pack in, and setup is so easy & quick. Was nice to get the stove going at night & again in the AM before we headed out glassing. Here's a pick of one of our camps: View attachment 226274
that's a sweet setup you got there. which stove are you rocking and how'd you like it?

also which Kuiu and how'd you like it?

I typically hike up in just my thin pants, beanie, t shirt and hoodie- black ovis merino synthetic blend- and then put on clothes up top. I sweat so much hiking up that my clothes are pretty drenched, especially beanie and beneath backpack and binos. Seems like the black ovis gear gets wet and stays wet and cold a lot longer than my FL long johns. how do you keep from sweating? just move slower?
I move pretty slow, to avoid sweating as much as possible. Once I get cold or my clothes get wet, that will be the way it is until I get home.

seww

WKR
fire while glassing not worried about spooking deer? wouldn't want to dissuade those bucks nearby, I've often had em come right in when I'm glassing solo.
They spook by the smell of fire?
I don't know, I've only hunted moose here in Sweden and they don't seem to care about the fire and smell of smoke. Rather it hides our scent.

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
that's a sweet setup you got there. which stove are you rocking and how'd you like it?

also which Kuiu and how'd you like it?
I believe it's the med box stove from Seekoutside. I really like the stove. It's light weight, and goes together pretty easily & quickly. Once you get it rollin, it really heats the tent up. As far as my Kuiu puffy, I'm using the super down ultra hooded jacket. Coat is super light weight & it's warm, and really cuts the wind. I like it so far.

GoBig

FNG
I was in Idaho last week, temps were not bad. If your hiking and sweating early in the morning you are over dressed or hiking to fast or hard. Figure out a comfortable layer to hike in or go slower. I try to find a good combo that I am not sweating overly much, pace and layer. I was wearing KUIU pants, wool shirt and down vest or shell depending on conditions, I also have a puffy in my pack and sometimes down pants for glassing. The biggest thing in my mind is controlling how much your sweating going in. It does suck to sit and glass and be soaked. Fires are good if safe to do. Everything was still high, we camped at over 9000 feet every night. Besides having a good lightweight 0 bag is having a good sleeping pad, check the R value. Sleeping bag liners are light and help out or a bivy sack if it gets really cold and or windy. Wool is the best underlayer...

Man, a lot of thoughts here:
1. you probably shouldn't be sleeping too close to the deer if you can help it, so you were most likely doing things right
2. how on earth do you hunt at that elevation and not have a puffy jacket?
3. learn to go slow enough you don't sweat out your base layers, or have a plan to change them out when you get to the top
4. Hot fluids will help as much as food for staying warm. jetboil or similar to make hot coffee every few hours.
5. an 11 pound tent sounds awful
6. Sounds like you're getting after it! Keep it up!