Camping / Hiking / Hunting setup

malJohann

FNG
Hi all, new to Rokslide here, but have bow hunted before and getting back into it (with a rifle this time). I recently (finally) got my 1st Kifaru pack, a Fulcrum on a 24” Duplex Lite frame.

Next on the list is a hot tent I can stand up in, but it needs to serve me for family car camping, potentially hiking when the kids are bigger (they’re 3 and 7 now), and for hunting (which has so far mostly been base camp style jaunts (with my hunting buddy).

I’ve been looking hard at a Seek Outside 8 person Tipi with liners and a half nest, and either an SXL or XL stove. Wanted to hit you guys up and ask whether the >$2k pricetag is justified?

Had it not been for my (what do you mean it’s got no floor) wife and young kids, I would have opted for the Kifaru equivalent minus the nest.

All advice appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
There are some much cheaper options for floorless shelters if you are not committed, and just want to try it to see if floorless is for you or not. However, the top tier manufactures are far superior to all the cheaper manufactures. For example Slumberjack is currently running a special on a tipi for just over $100 with Holiday 2020 discount code. It is significantly heavier than SO and kifaru... but if you are not committed to floorless, it is a good option to see if floress will workout for you.

Many use tyvek (not the heavy building type) as ground sheets and floors.

Many are moving to the Winnerwell stove for the ease and speed of assembly, despite the slightly extra weight. you might consider one: https://winnerwell.us/products/winnerwell-fastfold-titanium-tent-stove

If you already have a light enough family tent, you might think about adding a stove jack.

archp625

WKR
The 8 man tipi is going to be pretty heavy to backpack hunt out of. If you are just car camping it will be awesome. For backpack hunting and family camping maybe look at the different LBO configurations.

OP
malJohann

malJohann

FNG
If you already have a light enough family tent, you might think about adding a stove jack.
Canvas for car camping, so no, anything synthetic is going to be leagues lighter. I’ll have a look at the stove though.
maybe look at the different LBO configurations.
I haven’t TBH, should probably look into their modular solutions. I love the headroom in the 8 person Tipi though.
might outgrow the 8 man soon.
How so? Too big? Too small?

OP
malJohann

malJohann

FNG
i have had two 8"s and sold both for a 6 and a 12. lots more room in a 12 when you get three or four in it.

the six is for light wt 2 person trips.
The SO 8 can use the guy loops to go down to a 6. I get what you’re saying, but it should be big enough for at least 5 years of family camping though.

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
build a mock up. find a post or pole and tie string out around it to equal the dimensions of the foot print.

the 6 and the 8 are both fairly compact compared to a 12, when packed.

OP
malJohann

malJohann

FNG
if you insist on 4 people in the 8 you will out grow it in 2 years.
now while kids are small you will be ok.
Gotta say thanks man, your comments cost me about 4 hours of extra research, a lot of deliberation, plus about 4.4lbs and $100 extra.

That’s all good things BTW, wouldn’t want to buy too small with this and have buyers remorse for the sake of $100.

I decided that instead of the 8 and Tipi Nest, that I’d go for the 12 and 2x LBO Nests instead. Much more room for the fam, plus some modularity and config options.

Then some months down the line, I’ll add another smaller tent for hunting trips.

Last edited: