Camping in Central WY

OP
C
I'd like to go with a topper, but they're too expensive. I'll probably get a tonneau and sleep in that and try to get a cheap motel 1-2 nights

Tbuckus

WKR
I have made two trips to WY to hunt speed goats, both trips were in late September. The first trip was uneventful. My second trip could not have been different. I had a 14X16 wall tent which survived the wind with some damage. All of the internal frame pipes were bent a couple 90 degrees. On the third night the wind forced us out of the tent for fear of injury. During this time the winds were sustained 45 MPH with gusts to 70 MPH. After spending a second night in the truck my brother rifle hunted the fifth day. The wind never let up and we struck camp on the morning of the sixth day. I never took my bow out of its case. It was a total bust of a hunt for me. My brother did get one shot. Love WY winds. In the future I will camp in something more stable than a tent. Even in the truck the wind rocked the vehicle to the point where it was very difficult to sleep.

That’s not what I wanted to hear.
3 of us were planning on using a wall tent this October.
What unit were you in?

cslater3

FNG
I have made two trips to WY to hunt speed goats, both trips were in late September. The first trip was uneventful. My second trip could not have been different. I had a 14X16 wall tent which survived the wind with some damage. All of the internal frame pipes were bent a couple 90 degrees. On the third night the wind forced us out of the tent for fear of injury. During this time the winds were sustained 45 MPH with gusts to 70 MPH. After spending a second night in the truck my brother rifle hunted the fifth day. The wind never let up and we struck camp on the morning of the sixth day. I never took my bow out of its case. It was a total bust of a hunt for me. My brother did get one shot. Love WY winds. In the future I will camp in something more stable than a tent. Even in the truck the wind rocked the vehicle to the point where it was very difficult to sleep.
Never would have thought winds were that bad. Good to know for this fall.

wytx

WKR
A properly staked out wall tent will survive high winds, our endured 60+ mph for a couple of days over in western Wyo.
Get it staked down well and you'll be find. A good wall tent is much like cabin.
Use the truck as a wind break.