Camping in Wyoming

Good Morning!

Can anyone point me in a direction of camp grounds in the southwestern bighorns that will be open in mid October? We are going to be truck camping for our mule deer hunt hunt. I know you can camp any where on BLM but was hoping to find a decent place for a base camp. PMs are fine if you want to keep the information off the main forum.

Thanks in advance

Wapiti1

WKR
Call the forest service office for that forest.

Where I hunt in MT, some are "open" with respect to camping there, but the outhouses are locked by then and there are no trash cans. Others are gated off and you can't even get in.

Jeremy

grfox92

WKR
You can camp anywhere in the big horns as long as you are a certain distance off the road. Check the regs, I believe it's called dispersed camping if I remember correct.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
All of the camp grounds will be closed by mid Oct. You can use them first come first serve but there will be no water and no bathrooms.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

OP
E
This may be a stupid question.....anyone know of camp grounds that are sheltered from the wind?

sneaky

"DADDY"
This may be a stupid question.....anyone know of camp grounds that are sheltered from the wind?
In Wyoming? Your best bet for camping at that time of year is going to be to pull off in a spot you think looks nice, set up your camp, build a fire, get comfortable and enjoy yourself. The wind blows everywhere in Wyoming.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
The wind certainly can blow! That said, we used our 12 person seek outside teepee for an antelope hunt a few years ago and it held up just fine. Used all of the guy lines and stakes and did park the tuck on the windward side for a mini wind brake. Toughest part was the fabric noise in the wind while trying to sleep, even with ear plugs!

Remember that it can easily drop below zero that time of year. In late October 2019 we planned to camp but it went to - 13. Stayed in a hotel, cause our gear was no match for those temps. Been testing cold weather gear at every chance since then.

Have a great time! :)

Last edited:

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Peak of the general season this year (big snow and the start of the migration) temps were nine to fifteen below. Camped in all sorts of weather out here but nobody is doing that no matter how tough they are. Like others have said, have a backup plan!