camping location

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
When you are back packing in do you set up camp on top of the mountain or below? If you camp up top how do you deal with your thermals going down in the morning while the elk are moving up toward you?

dingleberns

Lil-Rokslider
you don't camp above the elk because they will not feed up towards you if they smell you. camp 1 mile away from where the elk are and walk in.

Poser

WKR
Usually I camp below them, at least somewhat. If you can find a spot near a creek in a drainage with some flowing water, there will be a constant downhill flow of air that you can Use to your advantage. If you get a mile or more a way, shouldn’t be any issue regardless of wind.

jolemons

WKR
I've had elk grazing in meadows within a few hundred yards of my camp site on numerous occasions, so I don't put that much thought into it. I'd stay away from bedding areas for sure.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Shit. We camped at the military crest inside a big bowl one year. Hunted HARD and saw some but never got a shot. Slept in Tuesday morning. Herd came through at 8am. Bugle woke me up and I shot him (6x6) literally 55 yards from tent while in my underwear.
My partner shot a spike the next morning 400 yards from tent.

We camp on that ridge year after year and shoot down on them on the outside of the bowl. They never seem to smell us as they are 400 to 500 yards below the lip grazing in the meadows between the dark timber.

Ideally, I'm on a ridge with higher ridges around me. It has nothing to do with thermals. I want access in all directions, and I want my elk sounds to travel in all directions. Nothing like calling them to you from surrounding ridges. I haven't killed one in camp yet, but I've come close on several occasions. It's also pretty awesome when you have elk screaming on the ridge you're camped on.

Poser

WKR
I've had elk grazing in meadows within a few hundred yards of my camp site on numerous occasions, so I don't put that much thought into it. I'd stay away from bedding areas for sure.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ok the flipside, I’ve seen elk grazing in meadows daily until some hunters show up and set up camp in the meadow and the elk leave the basin entirely.

Poser that’s different. Camping in plain sight in a feeding area is bound to have an affect.

Camping somewhere other than base camp is supposed to help you overcome an obstacle such as elevation or just distance. The idea is to get where you need to be at first light without getting up in the middle of the night and hiking for hours. Also to be fresh and ready for action instead of sweaty and half wore out.

In my spike camp the obstacle is elevation. So there’s no way I’m camping short of where I have a minimal morning climb. But I never camp right on top. I’m just below the ridge on the opposite side of the slope from the direction I’m heading in the morning.

I have elk close to camp. I’m actually really close to a spring where elk water and water is scarce. Fire doesn’t bother them. The key is to be quiet. Human voices and laughing are bad news. If you’re in good elk country you’ll have to bump a few but that’s the price you pay to be in the zone early and late when you need to be. It beats showing up late and leaving early.

Last edited:

Werty

WKR
You can camp on the off side of the ridge, your planning to hunt. The thermals will go into the back side of the mountain.

OP
C

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
Poser that’s different. Camping in plain sight in a feeding area is bound to have an affect.

Camping somewhere other than base camp is supposed to help you overcome an obstacle such as elevation or just distance. The idea is to get where you need to be at first light without getting up in the middle of the night and hiking for hours. Also to be fresh and ready for action instead of sweaty and half wore out.

In my spike camp the obstacle is elevation. So there’s no way I’m camping short of where I have a minimal morning climb. But I never camp right on top. I’m just below the ridge on the opposite side of the slope from the direction I’m heading in the morning.

I have elk close to camp. I’m actually really close to a spring where elk water and water is scarce. Fire doesn’t bother them. The key is to be quiet. Human voices and laughing are bad news. If you’re in good elk country you’ll have to bump a few but that’s the price you pay to be in the zone early and late when you need to be. It beats showing up late and leaving early.

This was info i was looking for! thanks!

waer0502

FNG
Shit. We camped at the military crest inside a big bowl one year. Hunted HARD and saw some but never got a shot. Slept in Tuesday morning. Herd came through at 8am. Bugle woke me up and I shot him (6x6) literally 55 yards from tent while in my underwear.
My partner shot a spike the next morning 400 yards from tent.

We camp on that ridge year after year and shoot down on them on the outside of the bowl. They never seem to smell us as they are 400 to 500 yards below the lip grazing in the meadows between the dark timber.
That's a story that will last forever! Congrats!

That's a story that will last forever! Congrats!
Every dog has his day. In all seriousness though I totally agree that the backside of a ridge just down from the military crest in the timber is dandy. Then you can walk the opposite slope crest to glass and bugle.